No announcement yet.

Teeth Aging Texas Hill Country Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last one, as I noted folks posting the standard issue dead horse meme. I'm surprised it took someone this long.

Again on doe, we can analyze harvest intensity with tooth wear. One of the big problems in deer management, aside from age, is getting a good feel for how many deer are there. That is harvest numbers have to be based on something. There's always concern on over killing doe, though it seldom happens. At least I've never seen it happen.

Anyway, 2 high fence properties with tons of deer. It's really hard to get an estimate on deer numbers when they get really high in a larger high fence property, and it's even harder to control those numbers because replacement nutrition keeps pumping out high fawn crops. To stay "caught up" on the population size when fawn crops are almost always high requires heavy doe harvest. When that's done successfully, we should see a shift in the age distribution toward younger doe due to that high harvest pressure. Few does survive to old age. First chart reveals several seasons of the first ranch's attempts. They were'nt killing enough doe based on the population estimate (which is shady), and the chart adds validity to that concept. The second chart on the second ranch shows that the harvest is intense enough to be turning over the doe population at a rate that could be staying up with the high fawn crops. Note the younger doe in ranch 2 vs ranch 1.

So, even though we don't know for sure how many deer are on each ranch, the age distribution of the doe harvest helps shed light on the balance between estimated deer numbers and appropriate harvest.
    Attached Files

Comment

Deer management is like putting together a big jig saw puzzle. There's lots of little pieces. From forage quality and abundance, weather extremes, livestock numbers, deer density, fawn crops, sex ratios, property size, age structures, harvest goals, etc. Each piece adds to the overall image as they're laid down together. They don't all always connect to each other either. Plus, it takes years to collect enough to pieces for the image to clear up. Tooth wear is one of those pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
        I finally get it. So we can definatively determine that Chance Love needs more education and training.
        Awe man, everyone needs more educatin!

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
        Bahahahahaha! No sir. That last jaw he shared is evidence of that. Now if all his jaws consistently showed 3-4 years in tooth wear, then yes.
        Those two examples were EASY deer to watch over the years. I am 100% certain they were each at least 10 years old.

ToT, the problem I see with your charts is that they all have one thing in common...they all base their tooth-wear aging off flawed data. There is just no way around that. I even noticed in one of the recent ones you posted it was a 14 year study...and they never killed a deer over 7?? Obviously in that time frame they would have HAD to have killed some deer older than 7, but per the data-flawed charts, nope. I feel like you are actually proving my point.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
          That horse looks 3 5. Did you check his teeth?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            That horse looks 3 5. Did you check his teeth?

I’ve seen that horse on this website for 12 years. Minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
              I’ve seen that horse on this website for 12 years. Minimum.
              Bull! Probably just similar genetics. You dont know thats the same horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                That's why I said, "Depending on goals." The public hunting threads here and on other platforms are some of my favorites because you don't hear crap about age, nutrition, genetics, or any other trophy driven language. Just some folks that went hunting, killed something, and had a blast doing it.

And your just flat out wrong about the shaming. Especially if your attempting to casually point a finger at me. I have stated repeatedly in this thread, and in many others regarding tooth wear, that the technique should never be used as a weapon. It should never be used to kick people off leases or even create the tiniest amount of stress while hunting. I have seen that happen myself, but the judgmental portion and stress came from other hunters. Most of our state biologists are forced to work with the trophy gang because that's who goes knocking on their doors. They also know that the vast majority of hunters, regardless of what they kill, sit in their blind in the pre-dawn darkness dreaming of a monster walking out. Telling a hunter that they killed a 2 year old deer, because the hunter asked, isn't shaming. That's educating. They do that one at at time, to those who want to know, and the line never ends.
                Yeah I know you are opposed to age shaming hunters but thats the most common use of the tooth aging. I have witnessed it repeatedly wgentctge biologist was dead out wrong but still felt the need to Train and educate my hunter on the great potential lost by shooting that deer we had just hauled to the taxidermist. Deer that my hunters were ecstatic about before the biologist ruined it.

Comment

Figured might as well bring this to the top since season just started. Might help, or might confuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                    Figured might as well bring this to the top since season just started. Might help, or might confuse.
                    Nein! Back to the taxidermist shop for you! I need those axis cape measurements!

Hey. Age my sheep by his teeth while you’re at it

Comment

Great thread. I think the average understatement on those three deer was about 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        Nein! Back to the taxidermist shop for you! I need those axis cape measurements!

Hey. Age my sheep by his teeth while you’re at it
                        Your sheep aged at “as old as he’s gonna get”.

Comment

Thanks for sharing some of your knowledge. Even though I have been hunting for 10 yr, I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to aging & management programs. I'm getting better on aging the bodies, but the 4-6 range is a tricky range to be precise, and that seems to be where most management programs fall
                          Last edited by careybirdwell; 10-10-2021, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Your sheep aged at “as old as he’s gonna get”.
                            Look at you spittin facts!

Comment

Ran across this thread while searching for something else. Let’s have some fun. Anymore comments?

Comment

Working...
                              X