No announcement yet.

2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got carrots, spinach, radishes, brussel sprouts, kale, collards mustard, sweet peas and lettuce in the ground. not much has come up yet but should be soon. Cover crop of food crop seeds + winter rye coming through. Just waitin on grub now!

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
      I've tried for years many different ways to make compost and they all have ended up with fire ants. your piles ( and mine) were not getting hot enough to deter ants.
      Last year I acquired one of the tall, heavy duty trash cans, the type used by Waste Management etc. I drilled myriads of holes for air, the lowest about a foot from the bottom, and sat it on top of a pallet to keep it off the ground and started building my pile inside. Turned it every once in a while. Took a while but I made my first decent compost with that.
      Thanks for the info. After a good youtube binge this morning it appears that it may be to dry. So i went and took 3 large outdoor trash bags full of the dry fresh cutting on top off and then watered the hell out of the rest. Theory is the ants will move on becouse it will be to moist now. Might also turn up the flame in the middle and heat it up more. Didnt feel that warm underneith but their was still black gold down there. If this doesnt work i will give the plastic tumber trash can style a try.

Comment

I've googled and read this thread a few times...

What's the conscious of safety of using a water trough for a raised bed wether it be Rubbermaid (Plastic) or Galvanized? We have a big garden in the yard going but momma wants some peppers and tomatoes by the porch in the spring. I don't really want to build something permanent.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post

What's the conscious of safety of using a water trough for a raised bed wether it be Rubbermaid (Plastic) or Galvanized? We have a big garden in the yard going but momma wants some peppers and tomatoes by the porch in the spring. I don't really want to build something permanent.

Theve been using plastic and galvanized pipe for water for years and years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Galv? maybe get a dose of zinc in the vegis. And once a little rust makes it through even adding some iron. Jokes aside and might even be true, I would not worry about plastic or galv. Natural wood would always be better like western cedar my fav for garden container but crazy cost so its out for a while. Consider the mass of cedar fence freebies where folks replace fence and give it away. I will prolong the misery of a long repsonse to say no chemical treated woods allowed in my home containers. Some of that is really yuk.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post

That’s all I’m using. I’ve got eight water troughs both metal and plastic. Drilled holes in the bottom of them for drainage and they work great. Got them all free.

Comment

In

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For the green thumbs

Question for the green thumb green screeners that plant seedlings for pepper and tomatoes; when do you start them??

Comment

What are y’all planting for the large butter beans?

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                      Question for the green thumb green screeners that plant seedlings for pepper and tomatoes; when do you start them??
                      TTT for the morning guys…. I know it’s early but I have a lot of prep to do so asking early

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                        I don't do it, but I have heard by the end of December to get them in the ground around Valentine's day.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                          I don't do it, but I have heard by the end of December to get them in the ground around Valentine's day.
                          Thank you Sir. That’s at least something to prepare for…

Let’s get the knowledge going fellas… I am all ears.

Comment

Working...
                          X