No announcement yet.

2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't remember if i asked this before or not. What is everyone's favorite pinto bean seed ?

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
      How did it taste??
      Best watermelon ive ever had. Sweet but clean, and so juicy.

Comment

Harvested approximately eight, very full, gallon baggies of jujubes. Pitting them in anticipation of making jujube butter.
        When you’re a mechanic you find the easiest way to do it.
        Drill press and a 5/16 hole punch. Pitts them like an olive.

You might think that you're redneck
        But I'm rednecker than you

Comment

Is it to late for a late summer planting of peppers and tomatoes??
          Go for it. If you can get through the bugs and watering issues, They will produce until first frost. Can even get the peppers into pots, keep 'em warm thru the winter and get a head start on next year.

Comment

Well my sweet potatoes were a bust. Out of all the slips I planted (14) I only got about 4 that were half way decent. The rest were long and stringy. The tops were beautiful, leafy with long vines. Man I thought they were doing great. Turns out they were doing to great. Over fertilization. Too much good soil and too much water. Oh well, I’ll try again next year.

But one other hand, my jujube tree put out eight gallon baggies of fruit and the peppers have done good.
            I’ve put up ten pints of jujube butter .
            Made 6 dozen jalapeño poppers and canned 3 quarts of peppers.

Comment

Love the drill press. If any of that stuff starts fermenting be careful using machinery and enjoying the fruits of labor! Taters look excellent. Works of redneck art!

Comment

First time gardener here. Is stuff going to start dying off about now? Seems too early... here is a pic of my okra.
                Attached Files

Comment

Okra does fine thru the heat. It drops leaves as new ones sprout. Yours look good per my limited abilities and what I have learned. I had to cut (prune) mine as was requiring a ladder to get the tops. Cut them in half a week ago and now beautiful tender okra producing heavy down low on the stalk and greened up again too. Tuff plants once established

Comment

I'm just a lurker in this thread, but I have a question. I have small raised beds in my backyard and have heard that planting crimson clover over the winter will do great things for nitrogen in the soil. Actually I have two questions.
                    1) Is this true?
                    2) Will I be fighting new sprouts all through the next growing season?

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
                      Okra does fine thru the heat. It drops leaves as new ones sprout. Yours look good per my limited abilities and what I have learned. I had to cut (prune) mine as was requiring a ladder to get the tops. Cut them in half a week ago and now beautiful tender okra producing heavy down low on the stalk and greened up again too. Tuff plants once established
                      Good to hear! I have been pulling them off as they brown and placing them back on the soil to recycle. I have been pulling about 15 a week or 1/2 lbs. It seems it has slowed a bit the last few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                        Well my sweet potatoes were a bust. Out of all the slips I planted (14) I only got about 4 that were half way decent. The rest were long and stringy. The tops were beautiful, leafy with long vines. Man I thought they were doing great. Turns out they were doing to great. Over fertilization. Too much good soil and too much water. Oh well, I’ll try again next year.

But one other hand, my jujube tree put out eight gallon baggies of fruit and the peppers have done good.
                        I’ve put up ten pints of jujube butter .
                        Made 6 dozen jalapeño poppers and canned 3 quarts of peppers.

How do you eat the jujube butter? Is it something similar to apple sauce??

Comment

How do you eat the jujube butter? Is it something similar to apple sauce??
                          It’s just like apple butter. In fact it’s the same recipe except using jujubes. They are the size of a olive but have the texture of an apple and when ripe, a mildly sweet taste.
                          The jujube butter came out great. It’s fantastic on toast, bagels or oatmeal.

Comment

It’s just like apple butter. In fact it’s the same recipe except using jujubes. They are the size of a olive but have the texture of an apple and when ripe, a mildly sweet taste.
                            The jujube butter came out great. It’s fantastic on toast, bagels or oatmeal.
                            Ok thank you. I had never heard of Apple butter. we had a juju be. Tree growing up. We just ate them after chilling them in the fridge.

Comment

Ok thank you. I had never heard of Apple butter. we had a juju be. Tree growing up. We just ate them after chilling them in the fridge.
                              Yeah I can’t walk past our tree without grabbing a couple and snacking on them.

Comment

Yeah I can’t walk past our tree without grabbing a couple and snacking on them.
                                I planted jujubes this year and they all died. I guess direct sun and not enough water did them in.

Comment

Working...
                                X