2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raider Power View Post
    Do any of y’all know what these are? Found them in the garden bed growing amongst my jalapeños.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It’s called bird’s nest fungi. It feeds on rotting wood, helping break it down further.

Comment

Originally posted by TexOddball View Post
      It’s called bird’s nest fungi. It feeds on rotting wood, helping break it down further.
      Gotcha so won’t harm my jalapeños then? I’m still a rookie to the whole gardening thing. Nevermind just googled it looks like it won’t hurt anything.
      Last edited by Raider Power; 08-08-2021, 04:16 PM.

Comment

While not actually a part of the garden, it’s still part of the harvest.

Does anyone have a Jujube tree?
        It’s a cool tree that puts out a good little fruit.
        Mine is loaded this year.

You might think that you're redneck
        But I'm rednecker than you

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post

We ordered and planted one 3 years ago, but it turned more into a bush and grew a gazzilion little berries. Needless to say they sent us the wrong plant...we got Goji berry instead of a Jujube. (nursery facepalm)

Comment

1st time gardener here, and I have to say this has been a very fun experience. Today I harvested my 1st okra, although it was only 2. I also did my 2nd harvest of basil. I'm currently enjoying a vodka basil smash S while grilling the 2 okra that I harvested. I will continue harvesting okra probably every 3 to 4 days. And I got venison brought on the grill as well.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post

You might think that you're redneck
              But I'm rednecker than you
              Had them growing up… great little treats IMHO

do you have any issues with a bunch of trees sprouting all around your mature tree??

Comment

Is it to late for a late summer planting of peppers and tomatoes??

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                  Is it to late for a late summer planting of peppers and tomatoes??

Getting close but you can probably get by all depending on how fast it cools off. I’d say go for it.

Comment

Watermelon and cantaloupe are about done still have a decent amount of flowers and okra.

Finally got drip tape on my pumpkins and they look great.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                      Had them growing up… great little treats IMHO

do you have any issues with a bunch of trees sprouting all around your mature tree??
                      Yep, runners pop up as far away as ten feet. They get whacked by the lawn mower.
                      I’m going to can a bunch of jujube butter using a apple butter recipe.

Only three weeks to go and I get to see how my sweet potatoes came out.

Comment

I worked in the garden today. Pulled all the dead plants and weeds. Worked in 200# of compost. Planted broccoli, Brussels sprouts, onions, garlic, carrots. All seeds except the garlic. Those were cloves.
                        I’m still getting a few tomatoes which is a first for me. I’ll replace them with lettuce when they’re done. Peppers are still going strong.

Comment

No pears. Possums and squirrels ate all but a couple dozen. My tree has no kidding 200 to 400 pears. All gone in a few days. They eat as the season goes but than attack. BOOM BOOM BOOM. Gone. Oh well someone has gotta feed the Georgetown thieves. My Okra went nuts this year. My beans made a million kazillion blooms (Pole string less have to ck the name, popular) and only handful of beans. I am self claimed a good gardener. Tomatoes fair to good. Peppers (hot and sweet types) barely producing and hard work for little. Oh well HEB is close by. I will find time and reduce some pics so can post. Fun and healthy even if not always a County Fair winner. Oh well.

Comment

This is pretty much the only thing I've pulled from the garden all year. Had several hundred starts die without ever making it into the ground.

And they were hardened and ready...just didnt have the time.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Green beans are all in and coming up. Few tomatoes here and there still. Peppers are going strong. Will plant brocoli and lettuce here after Labor Day

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
                                This is pretty much the only thing I've pulled from the garden all year. Had several hundred starts die without ever making it into the ground.

And they were hardened and ready...just didnt have the time.
                                How did it taste??

Comment

Working...
                                X