X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrap stems with aluminum foil I haven’t had to do it but heard it works

Comment

2 questions

A few years ago I bought a few bluebonnet plants and planted them in the flower beds. In addition, about the same time a local business was giving away seeds that also got sown in the flower beds. Now the flower beds are over run with bluebonnets in the spring. I now have oodles of seed pods and want to keep them and plant them in the yard. Do I wait until they are brown and dried up before I pick them or can I pick them while they are green but filled out? I have heard that bluebonnet seeds need to be in the ground from one year until next before they sprout. Should I scatter them now or wait til next spring?

Ok, 3 questions....The past couple of storms have done a number on my onions, 10-15s & Purple Creole. The tops on most have been blown over and a lot of them have started to turn brown. I'm guessing I should prepare to harvest them. But with the rains we have been having,with more expected soon, I'm thinkin they may not dry as needed and rot in the ground. Thinkin about going ahead and pulling them up and trying to dry on the racks. They are only about halfway bulbed out. Will they dry out enough to keep this way?

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
        I’ve had squash borers before but it was never a long lasting deal they would kill a few plants and I’d just replant and keep them sprayed with liquid 7 or something like that.

Maybe try moving the plants to a different location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Squash borers or squash bugs? Squash borers is an end game for everyone I've ever known that had them. They kill the plants. Just my experience. Yes, you should rotate 'crops' every year.

Comment

Originally posted by L.T.K.56 View Post
          Wrap stems with aluminum foil I haven’t had to do it but heard it works
          Buying squash is cheaper than buying foil

Comment

My wife came home with some yellow squash plants from Home Depot this weekend. I had to plant them (happy wife happy life), but I planted them on the other side of the yard. The moment I see a sqaush bug....these plants will have an unfortunate accident.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
              Squash borers or squash bugs? Squash borers is an end game for everyone I've ever known that had them. They kill the plants. Just my experience. Yes, you should rotate 'crops' every year.

I’ve had both the borers are terrible but I guess I didn’t have a infestation of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The bores bore into the main stems at ground level. One day the plant looks good the next it is dead. They are very hard to kill once they get into the plant and by then they have done their damage. Like Blackfin said put 7 dust or spay on them every week once the plants get big. I think it is easier to kill them before they get into the plants stems.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                  Like Blackfin said put 7 dust or spay on them every week once the plants get big.
                  Thats what I started using last year. But began doing some research and the active ingredient in 7 dust "carbaryl" can be pretty toxic, and it also kills indiscriminately.

I remember my grandparents on both my sides of the family completely whiting out there gardens in 7 dust very often. All 4 suffered from many many diseases before passing away. Makes me step back and wonder.

Comment

Sevin dust doesn't do anything for vine borers

Comment

Sevin dust doesn't do anything for vine borers
                      It does, along with killing all other beneficial insects including your pollinators that come into contact with it. So if you use it, do it late in the day and wash it off the next morning.
                      I try to get ahold of them during the first part of the season by putting sevin dust around the base of the plant. Then one of my kid's chores is the garden daily and she is to check for eggs under each on the leafs. If she finds a cluster, she removes that leaf and puts it into a ziploc. I also make sure to not have too much growth and keep the amount of leafs to a minimum in order to see the bugs.
                      You can also use BT as an insecticide.
                      Also if you want to get after them by hand, just soak the base of the plant. The borers will come up nm out of the ground and onto the plant to get away from the water. You can pick them or start spraying them with neem oil and dish soap.

Comment

Squash borers or squash bugs?
                        If I am not mistaken, one in the same. The borer is the larva of the bug.

The squash bug lays eggs and is active only during the day (not at night). Applying dust at night and then washing off the next morning will get you no where.

The eggs hatch the larva and then it bores into the plant. Also, they can bore in anywhere on the plant and then migrate down to the base stem thru the hollow interior.

Once the borer makes it into the stem, no pesticide will do anything unless a syringe is involved. BT is the most commonly used ‘pesticide’.
                        Last edited by Greenheadless; 05-03-2021, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Ruh Row!!!
                          Found this track in my garden yesterday.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	E531B963-3222-47FF-BBC0-82F8D356574C.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	24650240
                          Hopefully it was just passing through. Last time I had one to stay, they wiped out my peas out.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                            Ruh Row!!!
                            Found this track in my garden yesterday.
                            [ATTACH]1048733[/ATTACH]
                            Hopefully it was just passing through. Last time I had one to stay, they wiped out my peas out.
                            I would think deer would be the easiest thing to keep out of thr garden...considering the options

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                              I would think deer would be the easiest thing to keep out of thr garden...considering the options
                              You would think. One year I spent a lot of money on a spray then electric fence. Never slowed them down. Haven’t had a problem with deer since they drilled that well just across the fence from me and since my neighbor is hauling dirt off his place. So just hope it was just passing through.

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
                                A few years ago I bought a few bluebonnet plants and planted them in the flower beds. In addition, about the same time a local business was giving away seeds that also got sown in the flower beds. Now the flower beds are over run with bluebonnets in the spring. I now have oodles of seed pods and want to keep them and plant them in the yard. Do I wait until they are brown and dried up before I pick them or can I pick them while they are green but filled out? I have heard that bluebonnet seeds need to be in the ground from one year until next before they sprout. Should I scatter them now or wait til next spring?

Ok, 3 questions....The past couple of storms have done a number on my onions, 10-15s & Purple Creole. The tops on most have been blown over and a lot of them have started to turn brown. I'm guessing I should prepare to harvest them. But with the rains we have been having,with more expected soon, I'm thinkin they may not dry as needed and rot in the ground. Thinkin about going ahead and pulling them up and trying to dry on the racks. They are only about halfway bulbed out. Will they dry out enough to keep this way?
                                I have the same questions about blue bonnets. Did you ever find the answer?

Comment

Working...
                                X