No announcement yet.

Cottonseed vs. Alfalfa - chose one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I could get cottonseed for my places in Collin and Wise counties. Anyone know of a source within reasonable distance?

Comment

Is it true pigs won't bother cotton seed?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post

Fishndude's pigs ate it up.

Comment

See what your deer will eat, mine won’t touch alfalfa no matter how I present it m

Comment

I believe the chemical is there but it has to b a controlled environment where thats all they eat. Deer in the wild shouldn't have any problems. I haven't read anything that deer in the wild get sterile by supplementing cottonseed

With the alfalfa if you split open the bales into 3-4 inch sections. The deer have better access to the leaves of alfalfa.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lovetohunt View Post
              I have seen studies similar to this but l looks like it dissipates quickly when you stop feeding it.

https://agrilifetoday.tamu.edu/2003/...antler-growth/
              Interesting read, but once again it sounds like the studies were done in a small containment area and not on white tail even though it is mentioned that it could happen to white tail I doubt it will to native wild deer. I don’t believe that most wild deer will reach the amount needed to hurt their antler growth at all. As a matter of fact I have seen quite the opposite, not necessarily in tine length but have seen an improvement in mass and definitely weights. We feed more seed than protein.

Comment

With all these known negatives to cottonseed you would think the best properties in the state would stop feeding it

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post

No it's not true. Pigs eat cottonseed too.

Comment

Cottonseed. Less waste and higher protein

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                      You think they really care?

I don’t care if the deer care, I just want to know what’s best for big antlers because my deer are killing both and I’m curious as to what is the absolute best. To be 100% honest, I may keep feeding both together.

Alfalfa covered in cottonseed. They get both with each bite at my place in Blanco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                        I don’t care if the deer care, I just want to know what’s best for big antlers because my deer are killing both and I’m curious as to what is the absolute best. To be 100% honest, I may keep feeding both together.

Alfalfa covered in cottonseed. They get both with each bite at my place in Blanco.
                        Never hurts to feed both if they are hammering them. As stated, CS will last longer in inclement weather and is slightly higher in nutritional value. Your question was if you could only feed one? If space, funds and availability aren’t an issue....feed more CS IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                          No it's not true. Pigs eat cottonseed too.
                          Thanx.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            Fishndude's pigs ate it up.
                            Thanx.

Comment

Cotton seed till end of March then change over to alfalfa. There is a chemical in cotton seed that does inhibit some of the antler growth. But if you stop feeding it before they start growing then it should be good. Get all of the benefits of the protein and fat in the cotton seed with out any of the problems.
                              I have seen studies similar to this but l looks like it dissipates quickly when you stop feeding it.

https://agrilifetoday.tamu.edu/2003/...antler-growth/

“No similar studies – either at Overton or elsewhere – have been done to date on white-tailed deer, the wild deer species native to Texas.”

This ^^^^ is a direct quote from the link you posted. Show me a study where cottonseed has hurt antler growth in free range whitetails please. I do not think such evidence exists. I have seen body weight and antler growth increase as a result of feeding cottonseed.

As far as the OP’s question I’d pick cottonseed over Alfalfa and it’s an easy choice. The protein, fiber, and fat in cottonseed is very beneficial to deer. The cottonseed itself is resilient to weather. Rain won’t hurt it, and raccoons won’t eat it. It will last longer in the elements than Alfalfa will.

Comment

Every study I’ve seen regarding negative results with cottonseed have all been with pen raised deer. It’s not intended to be a main food source. Too much of anything can be bad. Cottonseed is however an excellent supplement to a free range deer’s diet.

Comment

Working...
                                X