Missing hunter found dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
    Sounds like the Garmin is a better deal. Thanks.
    The offline map on OnX will still show you where you are when you don't have service. It worked for me this past weekend when I was in a creek bottom with no service. Just go to offline and you can download a 5, 10, 150 mile wide map and it works with no service.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
      All I use is a Garmin GPS ($99) and a compass for years. I don't use a trail and try to take a slightly different path each time I hunt so I don't make a trail. It brings me right to my stand each and every time and then back to the road I started on. All at night. Mostly, where I hunt, there is no phone service.
      For those that use the phone map, how does the phone know where you are, where you are going, when there is no service?
      Cell service and location service are two different things. Your phone will have location service even at locations without cell service. When you use google maps, the cell service is used to download the picture of the map you see and location service puts the blue dot where you are.

In the case of OnX or Basemap, you just download the map image so you dont need the cell service. Then you can turn your phone to airplane mode to save battery and still use the location service to know your location.

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
        Thats tough sir! Prayers up for his family and you as well!
        Thank you sir

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen View Post
          So sorry for the loss of your friend. May he rest in peace. Condolenses to the family.
          Thank you sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Cberry View Post
            The offline map on OnX will still show you where you are when you don't have service. It worked for me this past weekend when I was in a creek bottom with no service. Just go to offline and you can download a 5, 10, 150 mile wide map and it works with no service.
            x2. I prefer OnX Hunt over the rest. Download a map of the area on the app while @ home then go "offline" on the app & you're GTG. Very easy to use.

Comment

Death by hypothermia was confirmed. Good reminder to stay prepared and think safely.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
                I do this too, but typically if I have a deer that runs off I give him 30 minutes or so, then leave my pack in the blind to go find him.

Might have to atleast throw the compass in my pocket from now on. GPS is onX maps downloaded to my phone so I can use it with no signal, but if that dies it could be a problem.

I guess I’ve never had to trail a deer more than 100 yards or so, so have never thought about the need for survival gear during a recovery. Sad deal for sure, and definitely makes me think a little more especially with my son hunting with me now.
                Also to add to this for the benefit of others. If your cell phone dies, place it on a rock or somewhere it can get some sun if applicable. Most cell phones are black which causes them to draw heat from the sun (which will cause the battery to charge a small amount) also on phones, turn off bluetooth and put it in airplane mode so to save battery when it's close to quiting.

Comment

Originally posted by murph62 View Post
                  Thank you sir
                  Sincerely sorry for you loss Murph. Hopefully the family and his friends will find some peace solace for his loss.

Comment

Originally posted by murph62 View Post
                    This was one of my very best friends and a customer of mine. There was search parties. Just took over 2 days to find him. I saw his son today. He is devastated. Was trying not to show but he is devastated. As am I. Please pray for this family. He was a very godly man and we had many conversations about knowing Jesus.
                    So sorry to hear this. Prayers for family and friends.
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

prayers up for the family

Comment

Tragic reminder of how quickly a situation can change. I will certainly use this example to make sure I am better prepared anytime I step into the field.

Prayers sent for the family and friends.

Comment

Originally posted by kmart49 View Post
                          tragic reminder of how quickly a situation can change. I will certainly use this example to make sure i am better prepared anytime i step into the field.

Prayers sent for the family and friends.
                          👍❤️

Comment

Originally posted by michael View Post
                            so sorry to hear this. Prayers for family and friends.
                            ❤️

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              So sorry to hear this. Prayers for family and friends.
                              Thank you sir. God bless you

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen View Post
                                So sorry for the loss of your friend. May he rest in peace. Condolenses to the family.
                                Thank you ma’am. God bless you

Comment

Working...
                                X