Missing hunter found dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man that’s horrible
    Nothing worse than that sinking feeling of being lost. Been there, done that a few times but I always have a compass and always gps if I’m hunting any area that’s new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

So no link or any info about this man?

Comment

Originally posted by bryan sandlin View Post
        this is not a easy deal. to die doing something you love.
        if any hunter say's they have never been lost or even turned around, is a lie or never been hunting.
        this is just a sad thing.

Been lost a time or two.

Was tracking a hog last year with my dog, got across a deep ravine and didn’t pay close attention as she was dragging me pretty hard chasing this boar. Once we finally caught up and took care of the hog, I realized I wasn’t sure where I was at. To make matters a little more interesting, I had no cell service and couldn’t get my map to update.

I was alone at the ranch but had called my dad and let him know I was taking off to track and which direction I was heading in at. He was on his way up, but was still an hour or so out. I finally got a sense of direction back once I got out of the trees / brush and figured out which direction to start working my way towards. By the time I got back in cell range, dad had called several times, text and had my wife track my phone. He was at the ranch and on a 4 wheeler coming out to find us when I finally made it back to the buggy. He pulled up about the time we came out.

Had it been dark, it would’ve been a completely different story.

Many lessons were learned that day, but one I had never thought of was making sure to take water for not only me, but my pup also. Fortunately at the bottom of the ravine there was a spring flowing. We took a break there and let her rest / get some water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

CROWELL (KFDX/KJTL) — A country music star took to social media Friday night in an effort to locate the missing father of a friend. Casey Donahew, a Burleson native who has played multiple concerts…

Comment

Very sad

Comment

so sad. prayers up to the family.

Comment

Very sad!!

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  It’s amazing how different things look when the snow starts falling. Got lost in Colorado years ago because not snowing when I walked off and blizzard like an hour later.

Prayers up
                  Yeah, me too. First time I was ever turned around in the woods. I was doing the old circle thing. Sat down and talked to myself and finally followed a straight line back to where I came from. Whew!

Sad to hear of this these days. GPS and compass are just too handy to have around along with some matches and flashlight.

Comment

Put a gps app on your phone and carry a back up power supply. I use mine everytime I track. I have my stand marked and can always get back to it. I also use mine to drop pins on first blood , found arrow etc. I know my land really well but you can get easily turned around in some of those dense buck brushed bottoms. Been caught in some good snowstorms too hunting out west.

Sad sad deal for this man. Prayers to his family

Comment

Very sad news and prayers for his family.
                      I have had several of the previous (multi-time) mentioned survival items in my hunting pack for years, but can see that I need to add a few more items to it, before I head off into any kind of unfamiliar territory.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                        It’s amazing how different things look when the snow starts falling. Got lost in Colorado years ago because not snowing when I walked off and blizzard like an hour later.

Prayers up
                        ^^ This! No matter how familiar you are with the area, it looks so different under a blanket of snow! I used to guide horseback trips in the Rocky Mountain National Parks. Rode the same trails for years. Add a blanket of snow or hail and no compass, you are relying on your sense of direction (and fortunately for me, my horse.) Prayers.

Comment

Horrible, been lost once in the mountains of Colorado. Relied on my hand held GPS unit that crapped out on me miles from camp in an area I had never been before. Horrifying feeling. Although I had everything in my day pack for survival for several nights it was still a terrible feeling. Luckily I was only lost for about an hour as I was able to get up high and point myself in the right direction. But that hour was very stressful. Prayers for his family.

Comment

Sad deal prayers up!!!
                            I always have gotten a hard time from the group I hunt with because if I'm on foot I carry a pack with all the essentials for the unexpected things that can happen.
                            Last edited by Hardware; 01-04-2021, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                              Horrible, been lost once in the mountains of Colorado. Relied on my hand held GPS unit that crapped out on me miles from camp in an area I had never been before. Horrifying feeling. Although I had everything in my day pack for survival for several nights it was still a terrible feeling. Luckily I was only lost for about an hour as I was able to get up high and point myself in the right direction. But that hour was very stressful. Prayers for his family.
                              I only use GPS to set heading on compass then turn off and use compass to keep on heading.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
                                I only use GPS to set heading on compass then turn off and use compass to keep on heading.
                                That is the correct way of using the GPS/compass combo. I have a question for those that use a phone GPS. If you can't get signal, can you still use the GPS function on the phone?

Comment

Working...
                                X