RECAP - Utah Archery Mountain Lion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Much to my surprise, a couple minutes later it sounded like the dogs had him treed again down below us 500 yards so we took off running. This time I was going to be ready so I shed my gloves and pack and gave them to one of the elk hunters. Got my release on, grabbed my bow, attached my quiver and knocked and arrow.

We made it to where the lion was and he was probably 15 yards up in a spruce staring down at me. It was chaotic to say the least, the dogs were going crazy, the guides were trying to gather them up before I shot and I was sliding downhill in the snow trying to get good footing. I figured it was now or never, though I couldn’t get my feet set; I didn’t want to watch him bound off again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks to the elk hunters for these treed lion pics right before the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
        Thanks to the elk hunters for these treed lion pics right before the shot.

Looking pretty serious !

Comment

#48, #49 ... doesn't look like that tree is big enough to hold him/her up there.
          Wow! Best story I've ever read with pics.

Comment

Man he is posing for the shot with his chest stuck out.

Comment

I tried to get the guide to brace my foot, but he was too tied up trying to hang onto dogs so I drew back and let my first arrow rip.

Missed!

The lion didn’t flinch and was still glaring at me. Knocked another arrow, and let it rip.

Zipped right through him! He turned a little bit didn’t seem fazed. Knocked a third arrow and let it rip.

Absolutely crushed him!

But, he just turned kinda broadside and just stood there with blood pouring out of his chest.

I knocked my fourth and final arrow (good thing I grabbed that extra pack from Sportsmen’s), and asked my guide if I should shoot him again. He said no, but the two elk hunters were screaming at me to shoot him again. By the time I decided I needed to put another one in him, he ran UP the tree and around to the other side.

Crap, I ran around below but couldn’t get a clear shot. So, I ran around to the top and he was probably 25 yards up with just a small window for me to thread one in. I wasn’t sure I could by Garett said to try so I let my final arrow rip.

Connected again, and this time the cat was come out of the tree. He hit the ground and started running down hill. Garett picked up one of my blood covered, frozen arrows and told me to chase the cat down and shot him again.

I wiped the blood off, knocked the arrow and started downhill. I found the cat a little ways down laying under a tree. Still breathing, but just about done. I decided not to shoot him again and Garett let the dogs loose. They immediately surrounded the lion and confirmed for us that he was indeed dead. I quivered the arrow and the celebrating began. The elk hunters and their daughter had made it down to us as well and everybody was pumped.

Comment

Comment

We took some pictures, made quick work skinning him out and hiked back up to the machines. Headed back down to the trucks and realized per the GPS that we had dogs all over the place. Spent a few hours tracking dogs down, then headed back to town.

I check back into the same hotel for one final night, victorious this time. Left the lion in the trunk of my rental car since the temps were well below freezing. Got up the next morning and went to the DNR to get him checked in.

Now I’m in Park City skiing with my wife with a frozen lion in the condo freezer. I fly home tomorrow and will put it in my carryon.

Comment

very badarse

Comment

Comment

Comment

Man that was one heck of a cat hunt! Fine specimen at that.

Comment

Hell yeah!

Comment

Man that was one heck of a cat hunt! Fine specimen at that.

I bet you sleep 3 days straight when you get home.
                              Last edited by GarGuy; 01-02-2021, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Love it !!! Congrats on a very nice lion.
                                Everyone on here should read this adventure.

Comment

Working...
                                X