2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
    I use Progressive because it's cheap, got quotes from Geico, BoatUS, and Charter Lakes. Progressive's "sign n glide" is dirt cheap and I used them for towing around 2 or 3 am one night when I grounded hard on an outgoing tide. It was nice, called Progressive and they called me back about 10 minutes later saying they found a tow and they're on the way. Dude showed up after stopping for tacos (he didn't get us any) and walked up with a form I signed and off we went, no fronting payment or anything. With that tow coverage you're not locked in to any single tow company. Oh also with Harvey they beat my door down trying to pay a claim when the storage unit collapsed on my boat. I ended up declining due to not really any damage to justify a claim that barely paid out over the deductible.

I need to do some reading on my policy, didn’t realize I had or could get tow coverage through Progressive.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
      I use Progressive because it's cheap, got quotes from Geico, BoatUS, and Charter Lakes. Progressive's "sign n glide" is dirt cheap and I used them for towing around 2 or 3 am one night when I grounded hard on an outgoing tide. It was nice, called Progressive and they called me back about 10 minutes later saying they found a tow and they're on the way. Dude showed up after stopping for tacos (he didn't get us any) and walked up with a form I signed and off we went, no fronting payment or anything. With that tow coverage you're not locked in to any single tow company. Oh also with Harvey they beat my door down trying to pay a claim when the storage unit collapsed on my boat. I ended up declining due to not really any damage to justify a claim that barely paid out over the deductible.
      This^^^
      I have had it several years, been towed in once with a cratered lower unit on my old boat. They will use private local individuals for added tow possibilities. Guy with a C25 Mowdy towed me in, Sold me on the boat so much I bought one.

Comment

I have charter lakes. They were cheaper than flo

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesdad07 View Post
          Right on Justin. That’s my thought process as well. We are pretty much thinking about the same setup, just powered by a differ motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Mercury pro XS now, just want to try something different. If they offered Suzuki I would go that route. 210x is what it will be. 230x is if I can swing it.

Comment

Originally posted by RINCON View Post
            Any recommendations for boat insurance?

Who are y’all using?

Thanks

I use progressive.

Comment

Progressive here too.

Comment

Originally posted by RINCON View Post
                Any recommendations for boat insurance?

Who are y’all using?

Thanks
                We use Charter Lakes as a broker. The policy is with Travelers. They have been hands down great to work with.

Comment

I shopped when I got my boat in December and decided to just stick with State Farm. You have to call the tow people yourself but it’s all reimbursable. Pricing was competitive enough.

Comment

Thanks guys...much appreciated

Comment

I use Charter Lakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                        I have a Mercury pro XS now, just want to try something different. If they offered Suzuki I would go that route. 210x is what it will be. 230x is if I can swing it.

I’m leaning 25’ with 300R on it, just don’t tell Shane, I’ll never hear the end of it [emoji23]

Comment

I’m leaning 25’ with 300R on it, just don’t tell Shane, I’ll never hear the end of it [emoji23]

I think that would be a great setup. Very nice boat and very well built. The 25 Outlaw was on my short list but they are rougher riding than I wanted. Rougher than my Boatright was. But they do run very shallow and have lots of fishing space. And the JH folks seem to be really good people. If you want shallow I don't think you could go wrong. And I think the 25 is a much better boat than the 23.

Comment

Been doing some google map scouting! East matagorda is huge! That seems like an insane amount of area to go in blind looking for a walk in wade area. Hard to tell from maps.

Looks like Spring Bayou would be easy to access from the beach. But the rest I guess you'd have to go to know.

Going to keep doing some research.

Also.. if I did Surfside, anybody know what time of year the canals in sea isle are good at night? Could bring the kayak and do that at night there.

Just trying to start making plans. I have always mainly fished Big Lake. But harder and harder to do long enough trips to make it worth the drive and effort hauling my boat.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

If you have a kayak take it to Matagorda with you and just fish out of your kayak. You have a better shot at doing well out of your kayak than you do driving to the bay and walking in. There are several good launch options right off the road and several more places you can drive in and launch.

Spring Bayou is what we call 3 Mile Cut. If you tell people Spring Bayou they will know you aren't from around here. 3 Mile is like anywhere else, it can be very good or very poor depending on your timing. It's a pretty good area to catch redfish and flounder. While you are looking at maps look at all of the marsh down the west end of EMB from the ICW to the beach. There are several sloughs that run up to the road that you can launch in and paddle into the marsh to fish. Also look at Parker's Cut into West Matagorda Bay. You can paddle across the Colorado River and drag your kayak over into Parker's Cut which leads into the SE end of WMB. There is some good kayak fishing to be had in there at times. Another to look at is Oyster Lake near Collegeport. You can launch down there just past the Oyster Lake bridge and there is a whole lot of water you can access by kayak in there as well.

If you really want to drive into the south shoreline and walk in the most popular drive in spots to wade use to be like Hog Island, Kain's Cove and the Oyster Farm. Look those areas up. Getting in there can be very sketchy. People go play in the mud and wallow out big mud holes with no bottom to them. You ease off in them and they end up hood deep. Some of them do anyway. I use to drive in down there all the time but I don't even try it anymore, it is just too torn up. We once had a good shell road running down the beach behind the sand dunes but it is all torn up and rough as a cob now.

Comment

Hey fellas, between knee surgery last summer and the twins getting here right after, I haven’t been able to get on the water much at all and am hoping to change that around the end of the year. I sure would like y’all’s opinion though. Who all has run a raised console Vs. a regular one? I’m on the fence, but thinking that raised will be better for learning to run the back lakes. I’ve never been able to run that skinny on my old boat, so I’m trying to plan ahead. The other thing I like about raised is having the extra storage for family outings.

This is the set up I’m using. It’s a “mid tower”. I absolutely love it. Storage galore and the view running across the flats is great. I fish from up there and have a pole on each corner to swap out or throw out using bait. When I’ve got 3 or 4 people fishing, I just stay up there and only get down to net fish. It’s a dream set up for me. If you plan to run the back lakes, you’d love the view.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X