Clear All

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
    Caught a couple down south

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Very nice! Them bones are fun to catch!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
      Wind knots are going to kill me. 20lb wind tamer and 30lb PP. must have had six today alone. Didn’t matter what we were throwing.
      Not spooled properly would be my first guess

I recognize those dunes from LLM, maybe king ranch shoreline

Comment

Wind knots are usually caused by loose wraps of line being snagged by the outgoing line during a cast and pulled off the spool out of order. Normally it happens near the end of a cast. That is because the loose loops of line are usually introduced at the end of a cast when you first start your retrieve. The main culprit is closing the bail by turning the reel handle instead of flipping the bail close by hand. When you flip the bail with the reel handle it'll throw a little loose loop of line and then wraps line over it leaving a tiny loop sticking out of the spool. If you ever look at your reel and see a loose loop of line coming out from under the line on the spool you are very likely to have a wind knot if you don't clear it first.

When you close the bail make sure the line gets up on the roller good and there is no slack line to cause the loose loop. That cuts out most wind knots. I close the bail by hand and give the rod a small little twitch before I start reeling and that pulls any slack loop out and gets the line up on the roller good before I ever turn the handle.

Line twist can cause them too. If you have lots of twist you can pull most of your line off as you idle your boat along and let the line trail out behind the boat. Reel it back in and your twist will be gone.

Sometimes a reel that isn't set up right will stack line on the spool unevenly and that can cause wind knots at times. Especially if it is stacking line to the bottom of the spool, the bottom being the part closest to you. Use the little plastic shims to adjust how your reel is laying line down to correct that. They are usually little white plastic shims that go on the main shaft of the reel under the spool. Depending on how the line is laying you either add or remove them to get it to even out.

The last thing is if everything else is OK and you still get wind knots it can just be a rod guide/reel spool size setup issue on your rod. Some rods just don't work well with some reels. I tend to see the line tangling around the first guide and causing the wind knot when that is the issue. It'll come off the spool and funnel into the guides in such a way that the line wraps around that first guide, causes a knot and then pops the knot off the guide and passing it thru the rod guides. Those wind knots feel different. You'll feel it catch and pop off the guide in the cast. It's different than how it feels when a wind knot comes off the spool and bumps through the guides. It's a sharper pop when the knot forms around the rod guide and pops off the guide.

Comment

Very nice! That looks like a fun trip!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
            Wind knots are going to kill me. 20lb wind tamer and 30lb PP. must have had six today alone. Didn’t matter what we were throwing.
            To much line on the spool?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
              Not spooled properly would be my first guess

I recognize those dunes from LLM, maybe king ranch shoreline
              **** shame he posted those pics on the internet. Now everyone is going to know where to catch tarpon and bonefish down there.

Comment

It's Monday and Im feeling a bit let down. Mayhem Monday?

Comment

Took my little man out with Nathan Gray again last weekend out of Galveston. Brother joined us this time up from Corpus.

We had a blast as usual, Nathan is just flat out good people and is so great with the kiddos.

Weird day as every place we went we caught 1-2 fish immediately and you’d think oh man, we’re bout to slam them and then nothing. Move, catch a few more and move again. Probably caught around 20 fish on the day, killed 5 for dinner as I had a pile of family in town for the weekend. My grandma is 78 and has lived in Indiana her whole life, she had never eaten trout... she approved.

Making memories gents!

Oh and for added flare to the end of the trip, Alex fell out of the boat at the last stop. Life jacket worked, we were anchored and he lost his balance and fell in. Luckily my gym bag was in the truck, he got to ride home in one of my shirts
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by tmurray; 04-05-2021, 09:17 AM.

Comment

delete

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
                      Took my little man out with Nathan Gray again last weekend out of Galveston. Brother joined us this time up from Corpus.

We had a blast as usual, Nathan is just flat out good people and is so great with the kiddos.

Weird day as every place we went we caught 1-2 fish immediately and you’d think oh man, we’re bout to slam them and then nothing. Move, catch a few more and move again. Probably caught around 20 fish on the day, killed 5 for dinner as I had a pile of family in town for the weekend. My grandma is 78 and has lived in Indiana her whole life, she had never eaten trout... she approved.

Making memories gents!

Oh and for added flare to the end of the trip, Alex fell out of the boat at the last stop. Life jacket worked, we were anchored and he lost his balance and fell in. Luckily my gym bag was in the truck, he got to ride home in one of my shirts
                      Nathan is a good dude.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post

I will get to it. I’ve been chasing my *** since I set down this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post

Making memories gents!

Now that's what it's all about!!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post

One pic per day, today we got Pat.....

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                              one pic per day, today we got pat.....
                              lmao!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                                I will get to it. I’ve been chasing my *** since I set down this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                We were starting to get worried about you.

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                                One pic per day, today we got Pat.....
                                lmao dammit

Comment

Working...
                                X