No announcement yet.

2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still have 3 Producers Ghost lures that I throw occasionally. The chrome with a yellow head still gets em.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
      Back at that time a good friend of mine was the factory rep for Mirrolure and he use to get us new stuff to try all the time. And use to get us colors we wanted added to the lineup. Stuff like that. He's still in the business still and is currently the factory rep for Bass Assassin which is a big reason why I use Bass Assassin soft plastics even now.
      Hering?

Comment

Nice report and pics Glenn! I bet that bachelor party was a hoot!

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
          I sat up all night with Melvin one night on their big overnight boat talking about the work he did with Mirrorlure on the She Dogs and catching fish on top water in general. He was a wealth of information and I learned a couple of things that night that changed the way I fish topwaters to this day.
          The Moonlight Mistress.

I was so fortunate to know him and to get to fish with him and just hang out with him. He was as fine as they come. Anyone who fished with Melvin learned some new stuff. He was always tinkering and trying new stuff, always. And he taught me some cooking tricks I still use today as well. Melvin owned/operated a really good steak house in Bay City at one time called The Conspiracy.

Did he show you how to do the little teaser tubes? I still do that. On the rare days Bink Grimes and I get to sneak off and go fish for fun you can just about bet that we'll be wading West Matagorda Bay and will get out of the boat with She Dogs with chart and red teasers just like Melvin taught us. I think it just takes us both back to some really good times. Never do we fish together that we don't tell Melvin stories.

Melvin is the first person who ever told me I ought to be a guide. Bink, and I were going fishing one morning and when we got to the harbor the weather was nasty. We were going to wait it out. The bait camp at the harbor served breakfast back then. The three of us sat and ate breakfast and he broke it all down for Bink and I. The number of trips we'd need to run. The expenses. How much we could clear, etc. He encouraged us both to consider it. 20+ years later I have finally decided to go full time. Bink ran with it before I did and has been full time for at least 10 years now. I should have taken his advice a whole lot sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
            Hering?
            My buddy use to work for Mike Hering but I knew Mike as well. My buddy I'm referring to is Dean Russell. He has left Mainstream and is doing his own thing now and has Bass Assassin and some other lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
              Nice report and pics Glenn! I bet that bachelor party was a hoot!
              They always are. A few poor little malted barley beverages were consumed, not by me though, and a great time was had.

Comment

Man that picture of the drum in the cooler gets me fired up for some reason, all good eating size. I might be a bit of an odd bird. lol

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  Man that picture of the drum in the cooler gets me fired up for some reason, all good eating size. I might be a bit of an odd bird. lol
                  No sir, they are sure good.

Comment

The Moonlight Mistress.

I was so fortunate to know him and to get to fish with him and just hang out with him. He was as fine as they come. Anyone who fished with Melvin learned some new stuff. He was always tinkering and trying new stuff, always. And he taught me some cooking tricks I still use today as well. Melvin owned/operated a really good steak house in Bay City at one time called The Conspiracy.

Did he show you how to do the little teaser tubes? I still do that. On the rare days Bink Grimes and I get to sneak off and go fish for fun you can just about bet that we'll be wading West Matagorda Bay and will get out of the boat with She Dogs with chart and red teasers just like Melvin taught us. I think it just takes us both back to some really good times. Never do we fish together that we don't tell Melvin stories.

Melvin is the first person who ever told me I ought to be a guide. Bink, and I were going fishing one morning and when we got to the harbor the weather was nasty. We were going to wait it out. The bait camp at the harbor served breakfast back then. The three of us sat and ate breakfast and he broke it all down for Bink and I. The number of trips we'd need to run. The expenses. How much we could clear, etc. He encouraged us both to consider it. 20+ years later I have finally decided to go full time. Bink ran with it before I did and has been full time for at least 10 years now. I should have taken his advice a whole lot sooner.

Glen, did you actually retire from teaching or administration? Congrats on full time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No, I am not retiring yet. It'll be a few more years before I can draw on my teacher retirement. I've been in education for 20 years, 10 were in administration. It changes so much every year and I am just tired of it. Tired of all the stupid BS we are forced to deal with.

It's just time to jump out there and try it. My business has grown and grown and I've gotten so busy that I can't continue to do both. And the timing is good as far as my family goes. My kids are about grown. My daughter graduates from college next month and my son only has 2 more years at home. There just isn't much reason left to not give it a go. I am just burned out and tired of all the BS in education. I always said when it quit being fun I'd do something different. Well, here we go.
                      Last edited by Capt Glenn; 03-31-2021, 12:21 PM.

Comment

No, I am not retiring yet. It'll be a few more years before I can draw on my teacher retirement. I've been in education for 20 years, 10 were in administration. It changes so much every year and I am just tired of it. Tired of all the stupid BS we are forced to deal with.

It's just time to jump out there and try it. My business has grown and grown and I've gotten so busy that I can't continue to do both. And the timing is good as far as my family goes. My kids are about grown. My daughter graduates from college next month and my son only has 2 more years at home. There just isn't much reason left to not give it a go. I am just burned out and tired of all the BS in education. I always said when it quit being fun I'd do something different. Well, here we go.
                        Good Luck My Friend! You will be a Complete Success!

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                          Good Luck My Friend! You will be a Complete Success!
                          Thanks David, I feel pretty good about it. I like my chances.

Comment

I have 2 extra Crab License.......come on!

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                              I have 2 extra Crab License.......come on!
                              I did that a couple summers when I was in JH. I know how much work that is. I worked for Huitt Fuselier and ran my own boat for him. Those were good times. I actually loved it.

Comment

Totally understand the burn out and tired of the education BS. Our Buddy Marty feels the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X