2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like my post is a little off topic haha

Ultra Cat boats. Thoughts on them? Buddy has a 2003 in great condition he wants to sell me and I don’t know much about them.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
      ^^^ Nice to have finally met you Sir.

Hope to run the sand with you one day.
      Indeed!

June is usually good and we'll probably be putting out traps and having a crab boil.

Comment

Took my son out to Galveston Saturday because he has been wanting to see/touch a real stingray. I got a hole near Offets that is usually stacked with them year around...but couldn't garner one up. We did catch a brown eel though so that made is day. He also had a lot of fun chasing around crabs and our next trip this upcoming weekend will be purely for crabs. The construction on 45/646? made a 1 hour to destination...a 2.5 hour drive. Anyways I guess I am really just talking to myself ....but wanted to contribute to this thread. Thanks for listening

Comment

Any size to the crab, Man? That's probably my favorite quarry down here but we don't normally start trying to get at them until late May or so and seems to get better and better peaking in late July or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
            Took my son out to Galveston Saturday because he has been wanting to see/touch a real stingray. I got a hole near Offets that is usually stacked with them year around...but couldn't garner one up. We did catch a brown eel though so that made is day. He also had a lot of fun chasing around crabs and our next trip this upcoming weekend will be purely for crabs. The construction on 45/646? made a 1 hour to destination...a 2.5 hour drive. Anyways I guess I am really just talking to myself ....but wanted to contribute to this thread. Thanks for listening
            That 45 traffic is a killer, especially anytime around spring break.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post

Ultra Cat boats. Thoughts on them? Buddy has a 2003 in great condition he wants to sell me and I don’t know much about them.
              Great boats imo. Not the fanciest or nicest but they run great super shallow running boats and think back they there were all composite with no wood. What model is it?

I've ran the 23 and the 25 and bother were great boats.

Comment

The original ultra cat had very bad stringer issues. There is a lot of stuff on the internet about it. Ultra cat ended up going under because of it, from what I was told. They seemed to make ******* sizes like 19, 22 and 25 or something like that.

Majek boats then bought the mold some years later and corrected the stringer issues and change the sizes to 18,20 and 23. I have a 2019 20’Majek ultra cat and is a nice boat, but there are things I’m not super happy with and depending on what the economy does in the fall will probably sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  Any size to the crab, Man? That's probably my favorite quarry down here but we don't normally start trying to get at them until late May or so and seems to get better and better peaking in late July or so.
                  Yeah we nuked a little area on the bank with frozen shad just to see what would come lurking...had plenty of good eating size come snatch them up. If I would have had a **** net we would have been eaten good that evening.

Comment

I have a buddy who guided out of one for a long time. I swear his was 24-25' long and he had a 250 Suzuki on it. From what I could see it wasn't a bad boat. He ended up getting a soft spot in the deck and got rid of it for a Tran XLR8. If you'd like to talk to someone who owned one I can give you his number.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                      Yeah we nuked a little area on the bank with frozen shad just to see what would come lurking...had plenty of good eating size come snatch them up. If I would have had a **** net we would have been eaten good that evening.
                      You went crabbing without a net? Do you fish without hooks too?

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                        He likes to live dangerously

Comment

When they're thick I just use a headlamp, step on them softly with my shoe and reach down and pick them up.

Comment

It's a really rough ride compared to the newer design cats (haynie, tran, sw) and many of them did have stringer issues.

Comment

Some positive news, all the bait did not freeze . I put a couple crab traps out Sunday in Rockport and checked them this morning, both had 6-8 piggy perch and a few small crabs.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                                Technically I took my 6yr old son to catch stingrays without a net (post1038). The crabs were an afterthought.
                                Last edited by Man; 03-30-2021, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X