No announcement yet.

2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bunch of you guys need to learn how to stay in your lane, thought about not opening this thread up to read it......thought it would be a mistake......it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
      And again the culling of deer comparison doesn't work with trout. You can't look at a trout and decide if it's going to have trophy potential or not. You just release them all or all over a certain size and you hope that a few of them have what it takes and survive long enough to grow big. Trout management is purely a numbers game.

There is a strong argument that culling deer with a rifle really doesn't do anything but maybe get you more deer to kill and to take some mouths off the land. You can't cull does based on horn characteristics that they throw. You can't change your genetics with a gun. Not unless you are using it to kill them all and start over with reintroduced genetics. So even if you compare releasing fish with culling deer you may be comparing it to a flawed principle. But that is a whole 'nother internet argument.
      I hope you detected my sarcasm in that post.

I was thinking the same thing about the culling of deer isn’t as effective as once thought, but am too impatient to type that much!

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
        Nice stringer! Hopefully you’ll get more in the surf this year. I’ll go after real fish though many miles from land.

So your preaching harvest seasons for fish you don’t even target. Offshore was not effected by this weather event so leave the coastal conservation to those of us that fish the coast.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          So your preaching harvest seasons for fish you don’t even target. Offshore was not effected by this weather event so leave the coastal conservation to those of us that fish the coast.

I’ll be going offshore and leaving inshore alone. I do both. Some Red snapper and tarpon have been found dead down here. It’s more than an inshore issue but inshore is the main problem. Carry on...

Comment

I’ll be going offshore and leaving inshore alone. I do both. Some Red snapper and tarpon have been found dead down here. It’s more than an inshore issue but inshore is the main problem. Carry on...

Maybe you should start an offshore thread....

Comment

I’m pretty sure this is a saltwater fishing thread. The saltwater comes from offshore.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                Ok look, you need to sit down and have some conversations with our fisheries biologists or something. I've been through this over and over again through the years. I've attended TPWD meetings, sat through all the data presentations, read everything I can get my hands on about our fishery. They will tell you point blank that you don't manage speckled trout like you manage whitetail deer or largemouth bass. If you want more big fish you release more mid-sized fish and harvest more lower slot fish. Not because the big ones are passing on superior genes, but simply because they won't get big if we put them in a cooler full of ice. It has nothing to do with passing on superior genetics. Every trout gets to pass on it's genetics until it is 15". A very, very, very small fraction of a percent will grow to be a trophy.

I'm sorry but the points you make are just flawed. I'm not going to argue with you. You mean well and you care about the resource and that is great. Obviously you have really strong views, flawed as they are. You are entitled to them, even though you are wrong. I'm going to leave it at that. My info and my opinion is based on what I have learned from the people who have managed and studied the fishery for many years. What they do is research based and it gave us the best speckled trout fishery in the country. We need to keep doing exactly what we were doing before and then just keep fostering a conservation mindset. Release what you don't need. Release those mid-sized to upper end trout to let them have a chance to get big and eat the smaller ones. That is the recipe for success.

If you want to release fish, release fish. There is never going to be a negative impact from more catch and release. I am not against all the guys on facebook and instagram who are wanting to do more catch and release, release over 21, etc. That is great and I applaud them for caring enough to do it. We are way behind other fisheries in the move towards catch and release. I hope this helps it to catch on. At the same time I am not going to hate someone for keeping enough fish for dinner. Even now. Keep what you need and release the rest. It really is that simple.

Letting medium fish go to get bigger sounds a lot like a whitetail management plan does. That’s how good genetics pass, with the older and larger species of a population. I’m not arguing, just having a conversation on a public forum trying to spread the word of catch and release. I guess some people thought I make the laws when I brought up my opinion on harvest seasons...

Comment

[emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

My buddy found these today in the first back lake he walked in in East matty. They were 29 1/2 - 30 3/4. He said it doesn’t look good at all. Seen a lot more on the bottom in some areas that haven’t floated up. Makes me sick seeing this.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Calfroper81 View Post
                      My buddy found these today in the first back lake he walked in in East matty. They were 29 1/2 - 30 3/4. He said it doesn’t look good at all. Seen a lot more on the bottom in some areas that haven’t floated up. Makes me sick seeing this.

Sucks for sure, all trophy fish there.

Comment

I will be spending more time in the gulf too. And probably more time at the jetties, chasing redfish, tripletailing, catching gulf trout when they show up, etc. There are lots of good options to take some pressure off speckled trout. I think you'll see lots of folks doing the same.

Comment

not all dead fish float

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7qykMPt4V4"]the fish kill is way worse than we thought... - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

How do I tooth age a trout?

In all seriousness, hoping we are able to rebound quickly. Anybody have reports from Galveston? Seems I keep seeing Matagorda and south updates only.

Comment

2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Originally posted by tmurray View Post

In all seriousness, hoping we are able to rebound quickly. Anybody have reports from Galveston? Seems I keep seeing Matagorda and south updates only.

Exactly.

From everything I read or listened to about trout, trout 27” and up are 5-6years old minimum.

I’m a huge supporter of Chris Bush and the Speckled truth. His podcast is really good.

If you want so insights on the coastal fishery I would suggest listening to the Jay Watkins podcast.

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post

Galveston reports are good so far but it's early. Had a buddy go out found 1 dead trout and stopped 4 or 5 places.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X