No announcement yet.

2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of fish still laying on the bottom in the canal behind my house on Padre Island. 70 degree highs the next few days should have them floating. We walked down the beach today about 2 miles and saw 1 - 22" trout, 1 - 13" trout, 1 - 21" red, several large mangrove snapper and countless dead hardheads. Praying for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
      Heck yeah! 2 pound crappie on every tree!! As many as stars in the sky!

Like Conroe, but different!!
      It really is that easy. Pull up,scan and fish or not. Just let the Chinese tell you where to fish. So easy Jake from state farm can do it

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        It really is that easy. Pull up,scan and fish or not. Just let the Chinese tell you where to fish. So easy Jake from state farm can do it

See y'all there!

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
          Why do you think that is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          It's a variety of things. Many are afraid of vibrio, sharks and stingrays. Some are just not comfortable with fishing at all much less standing in the water and fishing. Some just don't think it sounds fun. Some are fishing with friends and family more as a fun activity to spend time together. Staying in the boat where the drinks and snacks are just is more appealing. Bottom line, the market has changed and overall 95% of the paying customers will not get out of the boat these days. That isn't just for me, that is across the board. 100% opposite of what we saw 20 years ago.

Comment

Sorta like fishing slicks but better [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
              Sorta like fishing slicks but better [emoji38]

Ole slew would love him a big ol gaftop on a crappy jig

Comment

Ole slew would love him a big ol gaftop on a crappy jig

We'll tell him that they are blues

Comment

Tired of seeing all of the guides virtue signaling that they will only allow C&R on their boats this year. I've seen this song and dance before. They soon realize that there aren't enough people willing to do that to keep them afloat, and they quietly go back to allowing their clients to keep fish. The truth is that, when there are fewer fish in the bays, fewer fish will be caught. There will be cries to reduce limits, and those who push that are people who are bad at math. People will catch fewer fish, retained or otherwise, and the stocks will recover.

Comment

I have kept 10 or fewer fish in the past 10 years. C&R would be fine with me. Whether anyone wants to believe it or not a lot of fish are kept for no other reason to show a full cooler at the ramp or on Facebook. Lots of fish go in the freezer and then in the trash. My thought is that this freeze will open up the outlaw croaker discussion again...which would also be fine with me.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                      Tired of seeing all of the guides virtue signaling that they will only allow C&R on their boats this year. I've seen this song and dance before. They soon realize that there aren't enough people willing to do that to keep them afloat, and they quietly go back to allowing their clients to keep fish. The truth is that, when there are fewer fish in the bays, fewer fish will be caught. There will be cries to reduce limits, and those who push that are people who are bad at math. People will catch fewer fish, retained or otherwise, and the stocks will recover.
                      Exactly! It's been really hard to hold my tongue on several different things.

Most of your better guides are going to do what is right and don't need to make a big public show of it. And most know we need to see what the numbers are before we make any big decisions. At the very least we need to let things play out in the short term and get a feel for what is left ourselves.

Also remember there are more than just speckled trout in the bay. I may have to go fish in places and ways I don't usually fish. But you can bet we'll be fishing and having fun doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leef View Post
                        I have kept 10 or fewer fish in the past 10 years. C&R would be fine with me. Whether anyone wants to believe it or not a lot of fish are kept for no other reason to show a full cooler at the ramp or on Facebook. Lots of fish go in the freezer and then in the trash. My thought is that this freeze will open up the outlaw croaker discussion again...which would also be fine with me.
                        The croaker discussion is front and center already. The ice hadn't even started to thaw and they were calling for outlawing croaker.

And no doubt that a whole lot of fish goes home and is frozen and thrown away. I think about that alot and it is a **** shame. Personally I have not frozen a locally caught fish in over 20 years.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                            The croaker discussion is front and center already. The ice hadn't even started to thaw and they were calling for outlawing croaker.

And no doubt that a whole lot of fish goes home and is frozen and thrown away. I think about that alot and it is a **** shame. Personally I have not frozen a locally caught fish in over 20 years.
                            Capt Glenn, pretty sure you and I fish the same waters. Not sure what we are going to see long term, but having been around the Texas coast for many years I know the great majority of folks will do what needs to be done to help the rebound. I have been a proponent for limit reductions for some time, personally I just don’t think folks need that much fish. I wish everyone could just self regulate without TPWD getting involved....wishful thinking.

Comment

I’m not ready to say I will be totally catch and release, but I will be a lot more cognizant of what I do keep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just dont think people need that much fish...sounds like a liberal talking about how people don't need that many guns that much ammo or dont need ARs. Let people decide how much fish they need as long as they are within the legal limits. I know my family and friends love the fish we bring home from the coast and the lakes every year and we eat a ton of it. We don't buy fish from the store and look forward to eating what we catch every year.

We dont even know the extent of the damage yet and here we are talking about what should and shouldn't be done. How about we see how bad it is before we go off the deep end.

Comment

Working...
                                X