2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
    The water temps are at 45.5 this morning, It has dropped faster than I thought it would probably because of the wind. The tide has been ripping out hard. The only hope is the gradual cool down and hard falling tides might have moved some fish deep. I hope most of them got out of the bay. We are going to see some dead fish. Now it is just a matter of how many and if it'll get cold enough to kill the ones in the river and ICW.
    This is the same thought I had after seeing several days in the 40’s prior to the freeze hitting. Hopefully they stop all traffic in the ICW during this period, we will lose a lot more fish from barge traffic.

Comment

How will the barge traffic kill the fish? Long time fisherman and have never heard that before. Just learning something new. I am afraid I am sure going to miss saltwater fishing this next year in the bays.

Comment

Originally posted by jhunter77 View Post
        How will the barge traffic kill the fish? Long time fisherman and have never heard that before. Just learning something new. I am afraid I am sure going to miss saltwater fishing this next year in the bays.
        The fish stack up in the deep water of the ICW. When a barge passes, it mixes the cold water at the surface with the warmer water at the bottom. This colder water kills the stunned and already vulnerable fish.

Comment

Tugs will mix the water making it cold from top to bottom vs colder on top and "safe" in deeper water.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

The fish are on the bottom where it is warmest & the barges stir the water up & mix in the colder water from the top to the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
              This is the same thought I had after seeing several days in the 40’s prior to the freeze hitting. Hopefully they stop all traffic in the ICW during this period, we will lose a lot more fish from barge traffic.
              Not stopping millions of $$$$$ worth of commerce for a fish, ICW is Federal

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                Not stopping millions of $$$$$ worth of commerce for a fish, ICW is Federal

I think they have done it in the past?? A healthy fishery is worth millions of $$$$ to state and federal governments as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I do believe the ice traffics stops voluntarily by the barges themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    I do believe the ice traffics stops voluntarily by the barges themselves.
                    If navigation is a hazard yes, barge traffic will stop

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
                      I think they have done it in the past?? A healthy fishery is worth millions of $$$$ to state and federal governments as well.

You better get AOC down here then ....... we will see, I live here so I’ll keep ya posted

Comment

Have seen it shut down for a few days around Padre Island.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Did not think about the cold water mixing like that

Comment

They have shut down barge traffic before due to this same situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                              You better get AOC down here then ....... we will see, I live here so I’ll keep ya posted

AOC [emoji1787]

Comment

I am really surprised how high the tides are even with all this north wind. Not what I was expecting but definitely a positive. I made the trip from Rockport to Bay City today and the tide was quite a bit higher than when I drove down there on Friday.

Gulls and pelicans were working marsh ponds pretty good so I am sure it's already whacked some baitfish in the shallows.

Comment

Working...
                                X