• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spincast reel are making a big comeback in the high end market. Discuss
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
      LOL. I wouldn't be caught dead with one.

Comment

If they could make a saltwater version with a good drag, a decent gear ratio and the ability to work well with braided line there would be a place for them. I have lots of folks who'd rather fish with "one of those push button reels" than a spinning or baitcasting reel. Problem is, the current stuff doesn't hold up to saltwater long, has about a 3:1 gear ratio and they don't handle braided line well at all.

Comment

Yall knock them but Snoopy reels have probably caught more trout than any other brand. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
            If they could make a saltwater version with a good drag, a decent gear ratio and the ability to work well with braided line there would be a place for them. I have lots of folks who'd rather fish with "one of those push button reels" than a spinning or baitcasting reel. Problem is, the current stuff doesn't hold up to saltwater long, has about a 3:1 gear ratio and they don't handle braided line well at all.
            Profishiency is about to release one just for you then. Highest IPT ever in a spincast. Got to tinker with it 2 weeks ago. Gonna debut it at ICAST and then it should become available. Zebco's not to far behind with their up and coming improved lighter bullet series. These reels have fishing guides written all over them.

Comment

I wouldn't go all in on them but I'd love to have maybe 2 or 3 if they are worth a flip. Mainly for the few folks who just flat can't get the spinning reel thing. I have a handful every year. A quality spincast setup would probably improve their experience.

Comment

I have 2 spincast I bought for my kids who are 8 and 11. They also have a spinning set. They are good for small sand trout and croaker but anything bigger than that, they are just taking up space IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Fishing lures with a spinning reel is just awkward. If you’re chunking bait or popping corks a spinner is fine. And a person with a baitcaster that knows what they’re doing can outcast a spinning reel.

Comment

Hopefully this weekend will be kinder to us and we'll have some pics for next week.
                    I hope y'all have better cooperation from Mother Nature

I wouldn't go all in on them but I'd love to have maybe 2 or 3 if they are worth a flip. Mainly for the few folks who just flat can't get the spinning reel thing. I have a handful every year. A quality spincast setup would probably improve their experience.
                    Or the ones who have their worst day with a bait caster in 25+ years man, that was aggravating to be honest...I can't even remember the last time I had a day like that

Comment

I'm verklempft. Or something like that

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                        Fishing lures with a spinning reel is just awkward. If you’re chunking bait or popping corks a spinner is fine. And a person with a baitcaster that knows what they’re doing can outcast a spinning reel.
                        Have to disagree if you are using little spinners - like rooster tails and things like that. Otherwise I agree completely.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                          and to think....you can't even give away a baitcaster in Florida. It mind blowing

Comment

IMO there is nothing better for live bait fishing than a spinning setup. I don't care if it's free lining shrimp, throwing a popping cork, soaking croaks or chunking cut mullet for redfish. Spinning gear is just a better tool for that. I can get more distance, easier and throw lighter weights. Can also lob heavy weights long distances. Good drags, easy to cast, good distance, fast retrieves, they just work well for that. And I honestly don't think baitcasters do it as well.

Lure fishing, for me, is completely different. We grew up fishing baitcasters and nothing else feels right. I can work a spoon or a paddletail with a spinning rod but a jerkbait or a topwater is a lost cause. I gotta have a baitcaster for those. Too mnay years and too much muscle memory to make it work right with a spinning reel. And honestly watch the Florida guys work a topwater with a spinning setup, it's terrible. They can't get the best action with the really sharp stops and starts and really solid side to side that we get with baitcasters. A spinner just can't do that as well.

I am not so sure on the distance thing Phillip, I can chunk a popping cork a long, long way with a spinning rod. You may be right but I'll be really impressed if anyone can throw a cork as far with a baitcaster as I can with a spinner. I ain't gonna say it can't happen but I will say it hasn't ever happened yet.

I grew up on baitcasters but I have learned to really like spinning gear too. Just different tools for different jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                              Or the ones who have their worst day with a bait caster in 25+ years man, that was aggravating to be honest...I can't even remember the last time I had a day like that
                              Ain't a one of us who hasn't had a day like that. Especially with new tackle we aren't fully use to. Every time I get a new model of rod or new model of reel it takes a little getting use to. If you haven't had a day like that, well, you just haven't fished enough.

Comment

I used to sell the heck outta Abu 7000's just from informing the purchaser that it was the reel that casted over the Astrodome. SOLD! Wonder if that guys record has since been broken?

Comment

Working...
                                X