End of 2020 Live from CDLC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As some of you know, I broke my hand about a month ago...the day after I got my new V3 from Mathews!

A week after, I still wasn’t able to draw my bow and started to think my season was in jeopardy. This was Thanksgiving weekend, and I had most of the month of December scheduled to hunt the South Texas rut. I decided to try to draw my Hannah’s Avail, which is set around 45 pounds. After a couple of attempts, I was able to draw it back.

I called Jeff at Cinnamon Creek and he overnighted me some 60# switchweight modules for the V3. I changed out the mods and was able to draw the V3 at just over 55#. I took 3 shots to paper tune, and then another 3 shots to sight in my 20 yard pin.

Anyway, this was my first shot at a deer with the new setup.

After I waited some extra time, I decided to look for blood near the impact. Nothing. I walked the direction I saw the buck run, and wasn’t finding anything. Finally, I found the broken shaft of the arrow and, after inspection, my confidence increased. There was lung blood on the arrow, and I started seeing spots of blood on the trail.

The buck stayed on a cattle trail along an open sendero next to the fence. Once it opened up, it was a fairly easy trail to the buck, which was piled up about 150 yards from the shot.

The shot was good, but there was no exit wound on the off side. Somewhat strangely, the Jak Hammer stopped where a rib meets the sternum. The tip broke outside the cavity, but didn’t puncture skin on opposite side. I don’t know if it deflected downward or if the buck spun more than it appeared. I don’t know if the bow at 70# with heavy arrows would have performed any differently, or not. (I do know the deer wouldn’t be anymore dead! )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Michael; 12-29-2020, 12:45 PM.
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats Mike!

Comment

J-bone are you serious?

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
            J-bone are you serious?

Yessir. 2 bucks and 3 doe out right now. The one 8 has some age on him.

Comment

Cool buck, Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                As some of you know, I broke my hand about a month ago...the day after I got my new V3 from Mathews!

A week after, I still wasn’t able to draw my bow and started to think my season was in jeopardy. This was Thanksgiving weekend, and I had most of the month of December scheduled to hunt the South Texas rut. I decided to try to draw my Hannah’s Avail, which is set around 45 pounds. After a couple of attempts, I was able to draw it back.

I called Jeff at Cinnamon Creek and he overnighted me some 60# switchweight modules for the V3. I changed out the mods and was able to draw the V3 at just over 55#. I took 3 shots to paper tune, and then another 3 shots to sight in my 20 yard pin.

Anyway, this was my first shot at a deer with the new setup.

After I waited some extra time, I decided to look for blood near the impact. Nothing. I walked the direction I saw the buck run, and wasn’t finding anything. Finally, I found the broken shaft of the arrow and, after inspection, my confidence increased. There was lung blood on the arrow, and I started seeing spots of blood on the trail.

The buck stayed on a cattle trail along an open sendero next to the fence. Once it opened up, it was a fairly easy trail to the buck, which was piled up about 150 yards from the shot.

The shot was good, but there was no exit wound on the off side. Somewhat strangely, the Jak Hammer stopped where a rib meets the sternum. The tip broke outside the cavity, but didn’t puncture skin on opposite side. I don’t know if it deflected downward or if the buck spun more than it appeared. I don’t know if the bow at 70# with heavy arrows would have performed any differently, or not. (I do know the deer wouldn’t be anymore dead! )

That's a heckuva deflection or redirection if it went down to the sternum. Shot looked like it was in the deadly V but a smidge on the high side of it. Of course the lighted nock may have made it look a tad high. I would have thought you hit the opposite shoulder bone and it and the deer running pushed it backward some to give it the view we saw where it looked like poorer penetration. Your description is not anything like that though lol. All that being said the sucker is dead and the DV strikes again.. Congrats Michael on the first kill with the new bow (albeit not your best bow ever..) That dude sure lost a lot of weight in between pics. That stuff is undefeated....still.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                  What is CDLC? A day-hunting ranch?

Campo de las Cazadoras!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Congrats on the buck!

Comment

Congrats on the buck.

Is the V3 31 or the 27?
                      Last edited by Hardware; 12-29-2020, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Cool buck! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats, Boss, on a heck of a buck!!!

Comment

Great 8,Congratulations Michael

Comment

Congrats Michael and all the other successful hunters. Yall are off to a cracking start! Keep at it.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post

Got me an old phart cull buck!
                                Congrats on the old warrior Kevin

Comment

Working...
                                X