Travel Trailor tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
    What people forget about is the weight of the passangers and then the tongue weight. You get to a halftons payload capacity very quickly.
    Plus some 1/2 tons don’t have load rated tires ( P tires shouldn’t be allowed on a truck)
    And IMO rv trailers should be inspected, when I see a 35-40 5th wheel hooked to a 3/4 with smoked brakes or doing 50mph up or down a 7-8% out I-10 it makes me skeptical

Comment

Airstreams are the biggest hose job going in travel trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
        Plus some 1/2 tons don’t have load rated tires ( P tires shouldn’t be allowed on a truck)
        And IMO rv trailers should be inspected, when I see a 35-40 5th wheel hooked to a 3/4 with smoked brakes or doing 50mph up or down a 7-8% out I-10 it makes me skeptical
        I don't disagree. What surpises me is that dealers havent gotten in lawsuites over not doing their due dilligence when selling a 44' 5th wheel toy hauler to someone that shows up with a 3/4 ton truck. Now I am all for personaly responsibility but there is a big % of truck owners out there that has seen truck commercials or sales brochures that say an F250 has a max towing capacity of 20k lbs so they thing they are fine. In reality what is shown on that sales brochure is the regular cab 2wd work truck that is optioned perfectly so maximize the tow number. The problem is the average guy does not own that truck and their truck is completely oppositly optioned making the ratings of the normal F250 much lower than the max number that is advertised.

I think one of the first questions that should be asked by a RV dealer is lets look at your truck and what does the payload sticker say which also has GCVWR and then go from there but that would cost them sales.

This is the sticker that you need to pay attention to because as I said before most people will get to the payload number before any other. This is off a new 3/4 ton Chevy.
        Attached Files

Comment

Travel Trailor tips

Payload ratings are not a great determining factor for what trailer you can safely tow. I have doubled the “suggested” payload for enough miles to know. Tires need to be right, that’s the weak link.

4 wheel disc brakes, turbo diesels, exhaust brakes, and big transmissions have changed the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            Payload ratings are not a great determining factor for what trailer you can safely tow. I have doubled the “suggested” payload for enough miles to know. Tires need to be right, that’s the weak link.

4 wheel disc brakes, turbo diesels, exhaust brakes, and big transmissions have changed the game.

Agreed that what the truck can do is way over what the listed capacities are.......... I am sure all of us have done it more than once. My point is that if you want to stay legal you really need to pay attention to the payload because that is typically what you hit first.

Another thing to remember is that there is nothing that you can add to your truck that will increase the payload that is listed on that sticker. Aftermarket stuff can help with control and ease of towing but it does not legally increase any of the capacities.

Not trying to sound like a broken record but if you are involved in a bad accident your insurance can leave you with the bill and even worse you can be in trouble with the law. Some people are willing to risk it and have gotten away with it because you see a bunch of 3/4 ton trucks towing big goosenecks or 5th wheels and 1/2 tons towing long bumper pulls all the time which have to be over the trucks listed capacities.

I would assume that there is a big percentage of these people that just dont know they are exceeding their capacities because the truck pulls, stops and controls the trailer just fine.

Comment

Dale,

I assume the payload sticker you posted is from a single wheel 1 ton?

Comment

Some great advice being shared. Really appreciate all of it.

Comment

Airstreams are the biggest hose job going in travel trailers.

I'm not interested in an Airstream, but I am curious why you say that?

Comment

Travel Trailor tips

Dale,

I assume the payload sticker you posted is from a single wheel 1 ton?

Yep. Sorry, I forgot to mention that. 2017 Silverado 3500 SRW, CC, Long bed. I don’t think I’ve had over about 5000 in this one, but I had 7000+ in my old dually more than a few times.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 12-28-2020, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
                      I'm not interested in an Airstream, but I am curious why you say that?

They’re really expensive, most of the cabinets, bathrooms, etc are awkwardly shaped because of the curved exterior. They have very little room because of the lack of slides, low ceiling, and curves. They don’t cool well in the heat, and contrary to popular belief, they leak more often than you think....which is really expensive...as are any other repairs. And they’re hell to keep looking decent.

Comment

Yep. Sorry, I forgot to mention that. 2017 Silverado 3500 SRW, CC, Long bed. I don’t think I’ve had over about 5000 in this one, but I had 7000+ in my old dually more than a few times.

That is what I figured. When anyone tells me they are looking at a new truck I immediatly tell them to get a single wheel one ton since they payload capaicty is so much more. Its almost double and I think it is mainly attributed to the tires like you said.

Comment

Travel Trailor tips

That is what I figured. When anyone tells me they are looking at a new truck I immediatly tell them to get a single wheel one ton since they payload capaicty is so much more. Its almost double and I think it is mainly attributed to the tires like you said.

You get some overload springs on the rear, as well. That is primarily why I got the 1Ton. We sell brick, stone, and masonry materials, so I end up hauling some really heavy stuff from time to time.

I imagine between my toolbox, tools, junk, and myself… I’m eating up about 1000 pounds of that before I ever load the truck. I’m not even sure if that includes fuel…
                          Last edited by Dale Moser; 12-28-2020, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Speaking of tires, are y'all doing anything special there? For towing purposes?

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
                              Speaking of tires, are y'all doing anything special there? For towing purposes?
                              I keep E-Rated tires on every truck I own. It's more for flat resistance, but it's nice peace of mind when towing too.

Comment

Man, I need to do some serious due diligence. My truck is rated at 9300# and my camper is 6704#. I've had NO issues pulling it with my half ton or pulling my 8" x 16" loaded with my 3830 Kubota with my 5' disc on it. However, I have to admit the many valid points made in this thread have me thinking. My tires are fine and I use a WBH hitch, but, I need to do some homework.

Comment

Working...
                                X