X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He’s a big one.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
      If your gonna take time to cut ears off to mark it and make it hard to catch, they usually cut it too. It will get much bigger, much faster, run with sows and won’t break teeth fighting. Everyone I’ve seen and killed that was “cut” had ear marking or gone and sometimes tail docked (easy to see with scope and pass the barrs
      Heh... you may be right Kyle. There is another one running around with no tail or cajones, but has ears. All conjecture until I can get it shot or trapped. I guess if everyone isn't guessing weight, they are yacking about whether it was cut. I hate pigs so much that if someone is catching them, they should just kill the S-O-G and not waste time cutting them. They tear up enough property as it is. There is never a shortage.
      I posted the picture because it is a scary looking pig and I have never seen tusks like this before. As long as this guy is 1 am nocturnal, he is safe from my gun. I'll have to trap him.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
        Heh... you may be right Kyle. There is another one running around with no tail or cajones, but has ears. All conjecture until I can get it shot or trapped. I guess if everyone isn't guessing weight, they are yacking about whether it was cut. I hate pigs so much that if someone is catching them, they should just kill the S-O-G and not waste time cutting them. They tear up enough property as it is. There is never a shortage.
        I posted the picture because it is a scary looking pig and I have never seen tusks like this before. As long as this guy is 1 am nocturnal, he is safe from my gun. I'll have to trap him.
        His tusk looked off to me too, why I figured his “ tops”were removed. Often if caught small they will knock them out with flashlight or whatever. Hogs teeth are somewhat self maintained. By removing the tops nothing keeps them in check and they just keep growing (usually very straight)... and if “cut” they don’t fight and break them.

Don’t know if he is or isn’t from 1 pic just stuff I’ve seen over the years. Hope ya kill it reguardless or any of it, lol. Cause I like em all dead

All I catch I mark with a bullet hole in the skull. They are easy to identify as dead that way

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
          We have shot a few pigs out there that don't have ears and even have piglets that don't have ears. This big boy has the huevos, just don't have the picture. I think there is a genetic mutation. Last year I posted a picture of one my husband shot and it doesn't have ears - it is a sow - and had the same argument with it. But it didn't even have a scar or a scrap of ragged skin. It was simply born without ears. We had it as a month old piglet on camera too.
          I'm not far from you and killed one a few years ago without an ear on one side. No hole or nothing. Super interesting. Had his tatters still and the other side was normal.

Comment

It’s fun hunting them at night, I wouldn’t know how to shoot one in the daylight.

Comment

It's evolution. The pigs are loosing their ears in defense, to keep the dogs from having something to hang on to.

Think I seen a pic of a lil tiny piglet not long ago, that didn't have ears.

Comment

If you are healed up enough to hunt then give him an arrow or lead pill

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                  Generally a safe assumption given how common it is for hog doggers to castrate and cut ears before releasing
                  I know a lot of guys that run hog dogs and I’ve never heard of any of them releasing pigs.

Comment

Shot one last year in leon county with no ears. You could tell it was born that way and not cutoff. No scaring at all just ear canels.

Comment

I had one show up on one of my cameras. This is a spot that never has pigs but this one came strolling thru. Don’t know if it’s a sow or boar. My nephew said he saw it last year.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	565E1D05-F55E-4602-A875-8DCF5DB24EE4.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	24639723

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                        If your gonna take time to cut ears off to mark it and make it hard to catch, they usually cut it too. It will get much bigger, much faster, run with sows and won’t break teeth fighting. Everyone I’ve seen and killed that was “cut” had ear marking or gone and sometimes tail docked (easy to see with scope and pass the barrs
                        I don’t speak for all modern day hog hunters but the last sentence is not correct from how I was taught growing up. I don't practice this because I like pigs dead. There are members of my family and ancestors who had to live off the land. You cut a boar and notch his ear and cut his tail off so you can identify him later and shoot him because he will fat and “de-stinked”. You did it so you or your neighbors knew that was a good hog to shoot.

As far as guys doing it these days for “sport”, I’ve never heard of that.

And if guys actually do that for sport, they’re a bunch of dumbasses cause a Barr hog will tear up a bunch of dogs in a hurry.
                        Last edited by BBReezen; 12-27-2020, 11:24 AM.

Comment

We cut em so they'll get big. We don't use dogs to hunt them though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

This us my issue with hog doggers and Texas Hog Hunters. The reason to hunt hogs is to stop the damage. They destroy pastures, ruin water supply and stock tanks, eat fawns, and chase deer. There's absolutely no justifiable reason to keep a caught pig alive.

I hate pigs with a passion. I need them KILLED. When I trap them, they are killed in the trap. No pig left alive. Since January I've trapped and killed over 140 pigs on 80 acres. I plan to surpass that in '21.

No pigs left alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                              This us my issue with hog doggers and Texas Hog Hunters. The reason to hunt hogs is to stop the damage. They destroy pastures, ruin water supply and stock tanks, eat fawns, and chase deer. There's absolutely no justifiable reason to keep a caught pig alive.

I hate pigs with a passion. I need them KILLED. When I trap them, they are killed in the trap. No pig left alive. Since January I've trapped and killed over 140 pigs on 80 acres. I plan to surpass that in '21.

No pigs left alive.

I approve this message!

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                                No need for ears since rattlesnakes quit rattling.
                                good one

Comment

Working...
                                X