Cast Iron and Bacon Grease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast Iron and Bacon Grease

Does anyone keep bacon grease on hand near the stove and use it for cast iron cooking? Any tips or tricks?

I have a preseasoned (new) Lodge cast iron pan I'd like to start cooking with. I've watched a few Kent Rollins videos, but I'm a newbie.

i keep bacon grease handy for just about any cooking application. Even used it to make bread once (instead of butter or oil). there was a study done a while back that found vegetable oils and other engineered oils would actually create and leech a carcinogenic substance (polyamerides IIRC) into your food if it was used as a cooking oil for more than 20 min. the only oils that were below the daily recommended limit were animal fats, butter, and coconut oil.

Comment

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
      i keep bacon grease handy for just about any cooking application. Even used it to make bread once (instead of butter or oil). there was a study done a while back that found vegetable oils and other engineered oils would actually create and leech a carcinogenic substance (polyamerides IIRC) into your food if it was used as a cooking oil for more than 20 min. the only oils that were below the daily recommended limit were animal fats, butter, and coconut oil.
      We do cook with butter and coconut oil also. Good idea on the coconut

Comment

Bacon grease is what we use primarily.

FYI, your pre-seasoned skillet won’t really be seasoned until you have fried in it multiple times.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          Bacon grease is what we use primarily.

FYI, your pre-seasoned skillet won’t really be seasoned until you have fried in it multiple times.
          Agreed. I am following Kent's seasoning protocol today while I'm working from home.

Comment

Bacon grease works great for adding flavor to beans and other stews or such. It is good to season cast iron also. We keep a mason jar in the frig to pour the hot grease in after cooking bacon.

Comment

Like bboswell said. Not seasoned yet. We actually seasoned ours by putting taking butter or lard, I can't remember which, spreading really thin layers, baking in the oven, then adding another layer, and doing this over and over until we had a good thick coating on the pan.

Now what ever we cook in it, we just wipe it clean with a paper towel. Nothing sticks. Worked well.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                Like bboswell said. Not seasoned yet. We actually seasoned ours by putting taking butter or lard, I can't remember which, spreading really thin layers, baking in the oven, then adding another layer, and doing this over and over until we had a good thick coating on the pan.

Now what ever we cook in it, we just wipe it clean with a paper towel. Nothing sticks. Worked well.
                This

Comment

Going waaaaayyyy back now to the days when we lit our stove with a match. My mom kept a can of bacon grease on the stove, not in the refrigerator, for years! She used it for everything. That woman could cook! RIP Mom. See you again.

Comment

I always have a jar of bacon grease in the fridge for just about everything I cook.

Comment

I keep bacon grease on top of the stove and use it for cooking all the time.... As far as your cast iron take the advice listed above and you will be good...

Comment

Anyone ever used the bacon grease sold in a jar ?

Comment

Originally posted by RLHoward View Post
                          Anyone ever used the bacon grease sold in a jar ?
                          No, why let someone else have the benefit of eating the bacon. We make enough bacon, we have more bacon grease then we can really use, and could never see us “ buying” just the grease.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                            Does anyone keep bacon grease on hand near the stove and use it for cast iron cooking? Any tips or tricks?

I have a preseasoned (new) Lodge cast iron pan I'd like to start cooking with. I've watched a few Kent Rollins videos, but I'm a newbie.

Yes I do. I save my bacon grease in a mason jar in the fridge. After every cook in my cast iron skillets, I clean them, heat them to dry them, and re-coat them with bacon grease. After 4-5 cooks I cost them & put them in the oven at 450 for an hour. Been doing it this way for years. My mom always kept bacon grease in a coffee can growing up, but my wife makes me keep it refrigerated. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Always have it handy.

Comment

Working...
                              X