Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all, Tom had to go. He had burned all his bridges in the building and had to win or at least get to the Big 12 Championship game this year to keep his job. He had a veteran team with a senior QB in a wide open Big 12 and he failed. It was pretty evident from the players (current and post) reaction, they are happy Tom is gone too. For that fact that Tom is gone, it is a great day that happened. I also knew, once they fired Tom, the replacement was ready to go. No bull**** coaching search. This was a tight lipped, well run search.

On Urban

After the TCU loss, there was talk that Texas was going to come open. Then OU loss, then the Iowa St. loss, and it was a certainly that Texas would have an opening. The name that was coveted it the most was Urban Meyer. It made the sense for all parties on paper. Urban has said he would only look at coaching at three schools, USC, Texas, and Notre Dame. Texas was willing to back up up the Brinks truck and make it happen. I was told at times, it was very close to being a done deal but in the end Meyer just couldn't pull the trigger. I really thought even though a "No" had leaked a few weeks ago, but there was still a chance and Meyer's competitive nature would have him jump on the job. Up until the accountment by Texas, I still thought there was a chance and died on that hill.

With Meyer saying no, there was no other sure things out there. Kelly and Mullen were big time "No's" from me. They could have turned to the hottest G5 coach in Fickel from UC, but they had done that with Herman and Strong. In the end, the coaching pool was shallow, but no matter what, Tom had to go. I think Sark was the best available coach.

When it was released that Auburn wanted Sark and he declined the interview I knew he had a deal with somebody. There was talk at Bama, they had discussed a HWIC deal with Sark but I doubt there was any teeth to that since he took the Texas job. My buddies started talking about Sark a few weeks ago and I started to like the idea. Here is why I like the hire.

He has Power 5 Head Coaching and NFL Experience. While not over successful (46-35), I think a couple of factors lead to that and he has learned from those stops. Reminds me of the path of Lane Kiffin.

He is concerned to be one of the best Offensive minds in the country.
    Texas has to have somebody to go head to head with Lincoln Riley. There are not many coaches that can go head to head out there, so hopefully Sark is that guy. This was a must with the new coach.

He is considered a hell of a QB coach. Hopefully he can pull Ewers back into the '22 class. He has a talent in Casey Thompson to work with on campus. I have heard that Bryce Young could follow him to Texas

He has worked under Pete Carroll, Nick Saban, and Norm Chow. I think his recent years of in the Rehab of Coaches by Nick Saban should do him well.

He won't bring an existing, unproven staff. I think both Strong and Herman failed before they got started at Texas with their staff. Both of them brought their staffs with them instead of going out and hiring the best coaches in the country. Sark has been around the game and should have the money to bring in one of the best staffs in the country. I think CDC knows they have to do this. This is my most exciting point in regards to Sark.

He is coming from the winning culture of Alabama. This should help in recruiting and some excitement around the program. During the NC game, Texas will be talked about and Sark taking the job.

I do have concerns over his past demos with alcohol. I certainly believe Texas did their due diligence to make sure this past him and controlled. I am sure there are reasons why he won't work out, but right now I am so glad Herman is gone my judgment is clouded. I am ready to see his staff put together and ready for a new era of Texas Football.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
      Good question, I’m currently more interested in whether or not he retains Ash or of the possibility of Boom coming back to be DC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Who is Boom?

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
        https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/73812104

Yes. I do drink. Just not to this level. Do you?

Maybe you were at this level when you were discussing the Kelly twins
        Or possibly now after the Sarkisian hire. I just don't get it. Maybe it will work out. Not excited.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
          Who is Boom?

Muschamp

Comment

I was meh on Mack Brown, excited for strong and Herman. Sark reminds me of Mack hire. I'm meh on him too so it will probably work out.

Right now I'm going to celebrate that Herman is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
              I was meh on Mack Brown, excited for strong and Herman. Sark reminds me of Mack hire. I'm meh on him too so it will probably work out.

I can get with this.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

College Football Bowl Games

Originally posted by Brock Middlebrook View Post
                Does new car smell apply to the Sark recruits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, just like every new coach gets. If they win, the get to keep pumping in that fresh smell.

In regards to recruiting, Sark has a lot of West Coast connections. They can poach the WC when they need to, like the other states do to Texas.
                Last edited by Heath; 01-02-2021, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post

Fade the public. [emoji23]

Comment

In other news Harbaugh forever up North.

Comment

Whether you love the hire or hate it, at least CDC isn’t settling for 3rd or 4th place finishes in the conference. I hope he’s the right guy.

Comment

In other news Harbaugh forever up North.

If you don’t like the Sark hire, this could have been your future. [emoji15]

Comment

Texas will get plenty of free press up to and during the National Title game with Sark calling plays. Can’t hurt recruiting.

Comment

Texas will get plenty of free press up to and during the National Title game with Sark calling plays. Can’t hurt recruiting.

Won’t hurt but don’t remember UT ever really struggling with recruiting, top 20 class this year with a dead man walking.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                              Won’t hurt but don’t remember UT ever really struggling with recruiting, top 20 class this year with a dead man walking.

It had gone dry. There’s a ton of potential in the portal.

Comment

It had gone dry. There’s a ton of potential in the portal.

I have a feeling they will hit the portal / transfer market hard too to fill any holes they think they need.

Comment

Working...
                                X