Pool Depth Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pool Depth Question

What are y’all’s thoughts on the depth of a pool. One pool company suggested 3.5 on the left and right and 5.5 in the middle.

Pool will be 16x32 rectangular with a 14x7 sun deck and a hot tub. Plan on having the hot tub about 6 to 8 feet from my outdoor kitchen area with the pool running the length of my back porch which is 35 foot.

I’m wondering if I should go 3.5 on the left and right with the deep part in the middle or just have a deep end and shallow end. Another option is should I go deeper than the 5.5 foot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have teenage boys so we went deep. 8’ on the far end and 3.5 ‘ on the skinny side with a 6” deep tanning shelf. 20x31.5’

Cost more but we are glad we went deep. No worry about injuries and the little one loves to dive. We had a 5 1/2’ pool when I was kid and it was too shallow. Jumping in you always worried about breaking an ankle.

Comment

Depends on what you want it for. We have 3 boys and wanted a diving board so we went 3.5 shallow end and 8.5 deep end. Now the kids are grown and we wish the pool was 3.5 on both ends and 5.5 in the middle like you described.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

We have exactly what you are talking about.

3.5' on each end with 5.5' in the middle. We love it. Had some great V-ball games in there.

The water will be warmer than a deeper pool but we have no regrets. Our next door neighbor has a shallow end/deep end and they say their pool is too cold.

Comment

Depends on ages in the family, what you will use pool for, etc. We went beach entry to 7 feet deep or so. We have a bench 2ft underwater on the deep end. Lots and lots of choices very personal decision. We wanted a pool for whatever came. Swimming, horseplay, or socially lounging around in the pool or spa.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
            We have teenage boys so we went deep. 8’ on the far end and 3.5 ‘ on the skinny side with a 6” deep tanning shelf. 20x31.5’

Cost more but we are glad we went deep. No worry about injuries and the little one loves to dive. We had a 5 1/2’ pool when I was kid and it was too shallow. Jumping in you always worried about breaking an ankle.

Yup, exactly what we did with our 3 boys but they are grown and moved out, we are in our 60’s and wish it wasn’t so deep. We put our pool in 25 years ago and it cost us $15 thousand. Would have been half that had we gone shallow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Pool Depth Question

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
              Depends on ages in the family, what you will use pool for, etc. We went beach entry to 7 feet deep or so. We have a bench 2ft underwater on the deep end. Lots and lots of choices very personal decision. We wanted a pool for whatever came. Swimming, horseplay, or socially lounging around in the pool or spa.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Just the wife and I. Will mainly be for laying around and some pool volley ball.

Comment

We went 4ft to 6ft. Wish I’d done 7ft, but the one thing I like most is the long gradual depth change which offers plenty of room in the middle for hanging out. Deep in the middle pushes everyone to the walls but deep on one end leaves the rest of the pool good for chillin.

Comment

I will be different, 5’6” deep, in middle, is too deep. I build pools for a living, biggest complaint is when people go 5’6” in middle. 5’ is much better. 5’6” is too deep for women and half the men. Good luck

Comment

We have a sundeck similar size as that and never use it. I would use that space in the pool and build a hot tub for 10 people. 10 person hot tub and a 4’ x 6’ x 4’ pool

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                      Just the wife and I. Will mainly be for laying around and some pool volley ball.

Then do not get a deep end. My wife and I have a lot of experience with a pool with a deep (8.5’) end. It rarely got used. If you like to tread water or dive then go for it. I highly recommend shallow on both ends and deeper in the middle.

Comment

I would go 3.5 on both ends and 5 in middle. I would NOT do a rectangle pool because your Polaris pool cleaner can't clean the corners and can't clean the tanning deck. My neighbors have a square pool and tanning deck and hate it for that reason.

Comment

Pool Depth Question

We have a tanning ledge with a seat and tequila table with a an umbrella pocket off to the side, that steps down into 3.5’ then goes to a little over 8’. We have a seating bench in the deep end. We also have a dive rock. We also have a 5 x 9 oval spa that water falls into the pool.

Wouldn’t have it any other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We have a tanning ledge on one end and a waterfall/grotto in the middle. Ours is 3.5’ on tanning ledge side, 5’ in the middle and 4.5’ on the other end. We think it’s perfect for our needs. Our builder said price was the same if we wanted a deep end or not so price wasn’t a factor.

Comment

If you go with a diving pool you will not have much shallow end at all with that size pool, most of your time will be spent in the shallow end, I would go with the play pool if I were building that size pool.

Comment

Working...
                              X