Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety / communication in the STICKS

ok,
    hunting here in Arkansas there are areas that are REALLY in the sticks, like ZERO cell service for miles. (huge surprise)
    Makes me a little nervous to be out by myself, in some pretty rugged terrain.
    I have a friend who carried the Garmin InReach on a Wyoming mule deer hunt. It is a little pricey and has a subscription plan.

Wanted to reach out to yall and see if anyone had experience with this or any other tech to allow me out reach out in an emergency.
    Thanks!
    Greg

The Garmin is pricey, but man is it nice to have. My wife never worries about me in the backcountry when I carry that thing. It's not something I'd carry for year round, every day use, due to the cost, but there's nothing better on the market for communication outside cell service. I just activate the plan for the months I'm hunting and shut it off when it's offseason.

Comment

Google sat phones, you will find multiple types and some you can get for free with a contract through a wireless carrier.

Comment

you might look into a PLB

Comment

I have and use the Garmin when I will be out of cell service. Recently used it on a couple of trips to Mexico chasing mule deer. I was able check in with the wife every few days and it emailed her my GPS cookie trail. I thought we would need the cookie trail one night when we ran into the Sinaloa bad guys!

I like the Garmin and it makes the wife feel better when I'm hunting backcountry, out of the country or alone. The cost is steep but I used Cabelas points on my purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Smeone View Post

I've never heard of a PLB until reading that link. Sounds like a piece of gear anyone going out alone should carry. Especially in deep back country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

those with the Garmin, the mini or the explorer+ ?

Comment

Here is another discussion about the same topic. It has some good information.

Comment

Originally posted by Das71198 View Post
                  Here is another discussion about the same topic. It has some good information.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=785398
                  thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebow88 View Post
                    those with the Garmin, the mini or the explorer+ ?
                    I have the InReach Mini. I bluetooth the mini to my phone and use my phone for everything. I would go that route personally.

Avoid the Spot. Last time my hunting buddy used it, it was a huge disappointment. Not much better than a PLB.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                      I have the InReach Mini. I bluetooth the mini to my phone and use my phone for everything. I would go that route personally.

Avoid the Spot. Last time my hunting buddy used it, it was a huge disappointment. Not much better than a PLB.
                      thanks

Comment

Following, good info here! Along these lines is the same reason why I just put together an IFAK/trauma kit to always keep in my pack.

Comment

I have a small PLB and it goes everywhere I hunt. It is tied to my backpack strap, lightweight, easy to access, and carry. I also have a larger ACR but find I leave it at camp because of the size. Ocean Signal is the same company that I used for EPIRB on my boat. You cannot communicate via messages, etc. like the Garmin and others but if you are in real trouble it will get help on the way.

Comment

Smoke signals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you just want an emergency out button and a way for family to just check in on you, then the SPOT Gen 4 is pretty slick. I had it on my elk hunt this year and it made me feel a million times better having it along with me and helped the wife feel better as well. Can program the buttons to say what ever you want. I had one that I sent her when we killed something, and then another that I sent when we left camp and when we returned to camp. It also will ping your location every 10 minutes and you can pull it up on a map later to see where all you went. Very very handy tool.

They also have a 2 way tracker but I didn't see the need for spending that kinda money on it. They are also $50 off right now for Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                              X