Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
    , has a rifle sling that is VERY accessible in the field,
    That reminds me, for guys that do rifle hunt, kifaru makes a universal rifle carrier that allows you to have your rifle under your arm and out in front of you so you can take it out and sling some lead in a hurry if you need to. Fits any brand of packs.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
      That reminds me, for guys that do rifle hunt, kifaru makes a universal rifle carrier that allows you to have your rifle under your arm and out in front of you so you can take it out and sling some lead in a hurry if you need to. Fits any brand of packs.
      Have it, personally don't really like it. My main issue is it puts a lot of weight on one arm/shoulder of whatever side its on. You go from a really balanced pack to complete discomfort. The location of your rifle is awesome though, I like being able to see the barrel, and essentially having an arm rest.

Give Kifaru credit thought, it is built out of tough material.

Comment

When you say 7-8 days I assume you are talking about a hunting trip. If you are just backpacking and not hunting there is a difference in what size is needed. It is true bigger is nicer and you can always cinch it down. Just be careful not to put on too much weight if you go bigger.

Comment

I have/had 4 Kuiu, 1 eberlistock and currently have 5 Kifaru. Kuiu are nice until it is time to pack meat, then your hips and shoulders pay the price for the lightweight construction. Kifaru are a little heavy and overbuilt until it is time to pack a load. I’ve packed 3 elk, a bear and a couse (small, but 7 miles) solo and several elk with friends.

Any time there is a chance that I’ll be packing meat, I grab a Kifaru. For my backpack trip in Napal (no hunting) and rim to rim at the Grand Canyon I grabbed my Kuiu. Different tools for different jobs.

Stone Glaciers are nice, but I don’t like how they fit me. Exo always seem like copycats to me. When they started I felt that I had more experience than they did. They have certainly come a long way, but I struggle to get past my initial impression.

Comment

Exo is most comfortable when there isn't a bunch of weight but as soon as I started adding weight the lumbar pad slipped quite a bit. Got tired of readjusting and sold the k2 5500 and got a stone glacier x-curve with 5900 bag. I cant recommend it enough, not nearly the amount of padding but its rigid and hugs your hips. Under weight its night and day for me and hauls super comfortable.
            If I didn't have a SG, I'd have a kifaru reckoning.

Comment

Hill People Gear and Seek Outside make top tier packs as well. I'd go with as big as you can fit well, the small amount of additional material is just a drop,in the bucket for weight.

Comment

Working...
              X