Best buck... worst shot! :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best buck... worst shot! :(

I’ve been debating whether to post this story or not. I guess I could’ve just posted a picture and said personal best and left it at that but that’s not my style. For a quiet guy I tend to be wordy when writing, sorry! I’ll go ahead and get it out of the way, personal best buck... worst shot ever.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9LDP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	25234134

So yes, he’s not a monster but this is my largest buck to date, rifle or bow. The last buck I killed was 4 years ago! Here’s the “wordy” story on that one, https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=619300. This trip was more of a spur of the moment trip to fill feeders and get things ready for Thanksgiving. But hey, we’re at the ranch so we’re hunting when we can!

We had a late arrival Saturday, so we slept in a bit Sunday and started filling feeders after a quick breakfast. I did take the time in the morning to watch an old Axis and some turkeys from the living room window at the house feeder. The turkeys passed within 10 yards of the house and a couple yearlings were even closer! We took our time and managed to get most of the feeders filled along with having lunch and taking care of a few other chores. The next thing we know it’s almost 4:00!

Name:	1Turkeys.jpg
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	25234126

Name:	2Axis.jpg
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	25234127

Name:	CHouseDeer.jpg
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	25234137

Name:	3Feed.jpg
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	25234128

I quickly changed and grabbed my gear and headed to a ladder stand in an oak mott. It’s a tight setup with the feeder set about 15 yards from the tree. I was a little concerned about when the feeder would throw, most of the feeders we filled hadn’t been reset and were spinning after dark. I was already late getting in so I didn’t want to take the extra time to lower it and check the times.

I climb into the stand and didn’t get set yet and a couple of does and yearlings come walking up at about 4:25, waiting for the dinner bell! The feeder spun at 4:30! There was quite a bit of activity including an 8 that will be a good deer in a year or two if he gets through the season.

Name:	4Does.jpg
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	25234129

Name:	5Eight.jpg
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	25234130

Name:	6Eight.jpg
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	25234131

Sometime around 5:00 I hear a commotion in the brush behind me, it has the attention of the 8 too. I see a doe on the run behind me then I catch a glimpse of the buck chasing her, his antlers are darker than the 8 I’ve been watching, with taller tines and a little more width. I don’t get a good look, but I saw enough to stand and get ready for a shot if it happened. He ran her back and forth behind me a couple times, never giving me a good look and no shot. After they disappeared I sat again and watched more deer come and go.

At about 5:30 the feeder spun a second time, spooking the deer feeding only for a moment before they returned. A few minutes later the doe that the buck was chasing ran through the feeding area, I was pretty sure it was her as she was a little darker than the other does, not melanistic but a couple shades darker. I figured the buck was still chasing her since she didn’t stop at the feeder.

I stood again and positioned for a shot in the direction where she stopped. I heard him coming from my right and behind as I had my back to the feeder, still not a good look at him but I came to full draw. I had ranged the brush where the doe stopped earlier at about 30 yards. He pushed her a little bit and stood in an opening where she had been and looked back my way. I was still trying to decide if he was a shooter, but I knew it was now or never. To be honest I don’t think I repositioned to look through the peep from looking at the deer, that and he started to move. I rushed the shot.

When I touched the trigger, the nock lit up and the FMJ flew, I knew right away the shot was off... way off. My heart sunk. Not even liver or guts, I center punched the right side hind quarter. The arrow almost made a complete pass through, hanging by the fletching on the off side. It was then that I noticed the blood spurting and running off the shaft.

I tried to nock another arrow, but my nerves wouldn’t let me. The deer took a couple of steps and it was in the brush, I could still see him but there wasn’t an opening for a follow up shot. I could tell he was hurt by his slow and labored walk. I watched him until he went behind some thick brush and I never saw him reappear. I had high expectations that he laid down there and took his last breath.

I waited until about 6:15 to climb down, I wanted to see what I could with the last bit of daylight. I eased around the brush where I hoped he would be but was disappointed to find that he wasn’t there. I then back tracked to where he was when I shot him and saw significant spots of bright red blood. I decided to back out and give him some time and get some help with the track.

I went to the house and told my father in law all I could remember. I told him that I messed up so bad that I think I actually killed the deer! I kept thinking back to the arrow hanging on the off side, blood spurting and running down the shaft. The deer had to be dead.

We ate supper and decided on 8:30 as the time to head out. That would be about three hours after the shot. I knew there was a flat white rock covered in blood near where the deer was when I shot him. It didn’t take long to find the rock and other blood in the area. We started heading in the direction the deer went. It was a classic blood trail, finding the blood covered arrow about 20 yards in, large spots/puddles where he stopped, spots and splatters where he was on the move. I don’t think he went 80 yards before piling up. Looking at the scene I’m sure he was dead when I got out of the tree.

I center punched the right side ham, the arrow passed through near the **** cavity and exited a little lower on the left ham. I caught femoral arteries on both sides. Only by the grace of God did I kill this deer as humanely as I did.

Name:	8Hit.jpg
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	25234133

Name:	7Laying.jpg
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	25234132

After we got him to the house we gutted him and left him hanging overnight to skin the next day. The hind quarters were devastated, the Montec G5 definitely did it’s job, I don’t know how the deer took another step!

Name:	AHam.jpg
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	25234135

Name:	BCape.jpg
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	25234136

I was lucky this time. I’m going to shoot a lot more and hope to be able to use this as my teaching opportunity to not get caught up in the moment. I can sit and watch deer all day at ten to 15 yards, but when I pick up the bow to take the shot that adrenaline kicks into overdrive! I hope I never lose that feeling but I also hope to get a little better control over it!

Name:	9LDPa.jpg
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	25234142

Sorry about the few sideways pics, I couldn't get them to upright.

Great buck. Glad it worked out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I killed my first bow buck the very same way. Only no blood whatsoever got lucky and found him. About the same distance. Cool story!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice buck sir!!!

Pretty much every one that hunts much at all will make a bad shot sooner or later if they shoot at enough critters. It happens. I made a terrible shot on a doe last weekend with my bow. Got lucky and she died within eyesight.
        Last edited by BradBryant1000; 11-30-2020, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Nice buck. Congrats on getting your personal best.

Comment

Congrats. Sometimes a little luck just needs to come into play. That femoral artery is a devastating hit. If you bow hunt, you're bound to make a bad shot every now and then.

Comment

We've all made bad shots with the bow...glad this tale had a happy recovery. Congrats on your best - he's a dandy!

Comment

Awesome. I’ll take lucky every day of the week in about every situation. Congrats

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Looks like a helluva shot to me!.. The results speak for themselves..

Congrats on a great deer!

Comment

The Hamblaster ! Sorry, that’s a reference from another Bowsite by a famous (to some) poster. But, no joke, the big artery in that ham will bleed them out pretty quickly. You did recover him and that’s the main takeaway...

Comment

Good buck and story!

I did the exact same thing about 30 years ago when bows were a whole lot slower. Had a doe duck and spin and put one right into her hindquarters. I watched her run maybe 60 yards and was done.

Comment

Glad it worked out. Congrats!

Comment

Congratulations on a nice buck!!!!!!

Comment

Great buck! Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X