Utility trailer rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utility trailer rebuild?

Have a small utility trailer that needs rebuilding after all the wood rotted off. I have it stripped down to the frame. It has coil springs and shocks.

Talk me through pros and cons of wood vs. expanded metal. I’m tempted to haul the welder out there with a chop saw and some angle iron. Or I could go back with lumber. It had 2 x 4 frame on top of the metal, with plywood on top of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wood-
    its already set up for wood
    Easy to install
    never have to paint the wood

Expanded metal-
    You are going to have to add more crossmembers to help support the expanded metal
    Expanded metal will rust out-its hard to paint expanded metal you have to cover it on all 4 sides to slow the rust down.
    It is a PITA to weld

Comment

^^^ this! Put expanded metal around the sides with 24" sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
        ^^^ this! Put expanded metal around the sides with 24" sides.

The previous arrangement was cattle panels on a wood frame 5” high to hold goats. It was simultaneously janky and ingenious, but was all rotted away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I recently reflected my 5x10 with c perlin. 142.24easier to work with than wood and won't rot.

Comment

My 5 X 10 as the original treated wood deck I put on it when I built it 40 years ago. I prefer wood decks over steel. Stuff will always slide around on steel but not so muc on wood.

Comment

Expanded metal is made of cheap alloys, designed to self consume its self , IMO no amount of primer and paint will make the metal last longer ( maybe sprayed rubber coating)
              As said above wood is the standard for trailer flooring, and will be weight bearing
              Wood is easier to work with and if walmanized / pressure treated and minimally maintained
              Should last way longer

Comment

Working...
              X