• Time
  • Show
Clear All

good luck and congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
      I'm going to guess 250. The entire Long pasture is 869

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Unless your hunting fence lines you’re probably not going to benefit a ton by moving. Likely seeing the same animals. But new scenery is fun, too.

Comment

Congrats on the cull and good luck on the rest of your hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
          Unless your hunting fence lines you’re probably not going to benefit a ton by moving. Likely seeing the same animals. But new scenery is fun, too.
          Probably right. Going to abandon my post for a few hours. Scout a couple areas and rattle, then head to camp for a quick bite. Back the field around 1.

Comment

Yall STX guys, think its too early to rattle here?

I saw several buck fights last weekend at my ranch in LaSalle County. They are shifting territories not fighting over does. It certainly won’t hurt to give it a try.

Comment

Got some high fives from staff. He was 7.5

I'll add another high five!

Congrats on a good one

Comment

I was worried, not going to lie. Just inside the brush though!

Solocam Aggie, I will be the one to ask. What determined you shooting the 5pt vs 6pt and how did you determine the age of ea buck?

Asking for educational purposes, not being critical, before someone gets their panties twisted.

Congrats by the way. On the opportunity to hunt the Chap and the kill.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                  Solocam Aggie, I will be the one to ask. What determined you shooting the 5pt vs 6pt and how did you determine the age of ea buck?

Asking for educational purposes, not being critical, before someone gets their panties twisted.

Congrats by the way. On the opportunity to hunt the Chap and the kill.
                  No problem, glad you asked. The 5 pt, even though he only 90 lbs dressed, had a big blocky head typical of these mature stx bucks. The 6 pt was definitely young. Slick in appearance and long legs gave it away at first glance. Plus, the 5 was a little wider, giving me confidence he was over 14".

Comment

Quick update. I got out of the stand and walked my pasture. Had a brute body of a buck step out in the road. I plopped down and folded my bipod out. As I studied him though the scope, he finally turned his head and I could tell he was an 18"-19" slick 7. Bascially your dream management buck here. I clicked the safety off at the exact moment he slipped in the brush. Could have had him, but had to make sure he met criteria. Buck is going to haunt me tonight!

I debated setting up near where the buck was, but seeing as its upper 80s here, I honest didn't feel like making a brush blind and cooking in this heat. Back in my original blind. Let's see what the afternoon brings!

Comment

Following

Comment

Quick update. I got out of the stand and walked my pasture. Had a brute body of a buck step out in the road. I plopped down and folded my bipod out. As I studied him though the scope, he finally turned his head and I could tell he was an 18"-19" slick 7. Bascially your dream management buck here. I clicked the safety off at the exact moment he slipped in the brush. Could have had him, but had to make sure he met criteria. Buck is going to haunt me tonight!

I debated setting up near where the buck was, but seeing as its upper 80s here, I honest didn't feel like making a brush blind and cooking in this heat. Back in my original blind. Let's see what the afternoon brings!

Dang! Hopefully he comes back out to your corn line tonight. Have you seen many hogs or javis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                          Dang! Hopefully he comes back out to your corn line tonight. Have you seen many hogs or javis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Surprisingly none! One javi hanging in the cooler, that's in. Learned the warthogs have been spotted several time in my pasture. That would be a pretty cool trophy to take from here!

Comment

Any word on the number of mature bucks this year? Imagine antler quality is down some with the dry weather?

Comment

No problem, glad you asked. The 5 pt, even though he only 90 lbs dressed, had a big blocky head typical of these mature stx bucks. The 6 pt was definitely young. Slick in appearance and long legs gave it away at first glance. Plus, the 5 was a little wider, giving me confidence he was over 14".

Thanx man, appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
                                Any word on the number of mature bucks this year? Imagine antler quality is down some with the dry weather?
                                Several of the management bucks brought in were 6.5 or older. It sounded like they had a good aerial survey. Everyone is seeing a mature buck or two it seems.

Comment

Working...
                                X