No announcement yet.

When spanking doesn’t work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Josh McDowell said, "Truth without relationships lead to rejection, rules without relationships lead to rebellion, discipline without relationship leads to bitterness, anger and resentment"

In other words, it may be time for you or mom to quit a job and spend the couple of years at home with her before kindergarten. It's the RELATIONSHIP, not the spankings that will fix the problem.

Comment

Here is what works for us.....no electronics and no tv. These kids do not need that digital stimulation bombarding them during their developmental years. I've watched kids turn into maniacs anytime they stepped away from the tv or ipad.

Clean up their diet. No junk. No sugar. Good clean food.

Give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
        Here is what works for us.....no electronics and no tv. These kids do not need that digital stimulation bombarding them during their developmental years. I've watched kids turn into maniacs anytime they stepped away from the tv or ipad.

Clean up their diet. No junk. No sugar. Good clean food.

Give it a try.
        I've been reading a lot more into this here. May be something to consider.

Comment

another thing to consider (haven't read the whole thread yet) is to make sure they're getting plenty of quality sleep.

if they're sleep deprived and grumpy, they act up ...same as an adult

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
            My son had many of the same problems it seemed.

You would spank him till you passed out and he didn’t care. He behavior at school was not stellar at all. We ended up taking him to the doctor and he has been diagnosed with ADHD. He is on a low dosage medication now and it has changed everything for the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have been going through the same thing with my daughter. Up until recently we have been trying really hard to keep her off of medication, but we’re ready to give it a try. If you don’t mind me asking, what medication are y’all seeing an improvement with?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
              This may seem crazy, but does she have allergies? Is she taking Zyrtek?

DO NOT GIVE SMALL CHILDREN ZYRTEK!!!!!
              Can you elaborate, please?

Comment

Hey brother I feel your pain. I have an 8 and 4 yr old boy. They are opposite. They 8 was similar to what you describe. What I learned was that his actions were attention driven. He has a sense of justice like I've never seen. He will make a great judge one day. If its not fair he will almost fight for it to be made right. When he didn't get the attention he needed, good or bad, he would act out. It took me a while to figure this out. He is also now in gifted and talented for the last two years. He is very smart and was early as we read and did numbers and letters. It may have partially been acting out because he wasn't being challenged to his potential, even early on. Constant activities and praise not for outcomes, but for effort. Trying not achieving kept him motivated and occupied and seemed to curb the behavior. Most of all encouragement, love, and setting expectations. He needs to know, did even then what to expect in class as far as behavior, new experiences, field trips, sunday school. Details on how it would be, who would be there, what he would do etc etc. He now tells us when he's not getting enough attention when his little brother gets too much in his eyes. Pray over her. Hope some of this will resonate for you. Hope any of it helps. Be the best Dad you were called to be and don't be provoked by emotion. Show patience and understanding. Give grace. I promise you these things made me a better man.
                Last edited by Buckslayertx; 11-19-2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by taco1979 View Post
                  Google ODD (oppositional defiant disorder) and do some research.

Going through this with my 6 year old daughter right now and it's tough.
                  Been there, done that with my oldest daughter (middle child). Only difference was she was perfect at daycare and school and around other folks but at home was complete nightmare. Had to stop spanking as it did absolutely nothing but infuriate her. It took monumental patience and was the hardest thing we’ve ever been through but slowly she grew out of it. She is a perfectly normal successful 25 yr old college graduate who works in education with special needs kids. Now I just need to find some sucker to marry her! Hang in there OP. It ain’t easy but I’d say there is probably light at the end of the tunnel. Btw-therapy does help.

Comment

You guys are so wrong on this spanking crap. My daughter is an attorney and my son is a operations mgr. for a beverage co. Both make great money, and both have great lives. Neither one was EVER spanked, instead, we took things away from them. Look how they turned out. Violence isn’t and never will be the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
                      Can you elaborate, please?
                      My daughter turned into a demon child Around 3-5 years old and we finally figured out it was Zyrtec and she immediately transformed when we took her off. We’ve since heard multiple first hand stories of the same.

Google search and it’s all over message boards.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
                        You guys are so wrong on this spanking crap. My daughter is an attorney and my son is a operations mgr. for a beverage co. Both make great money, and both have great lives. Neither one was EVER spanked, instead, we took things away from them. Look how they turned out. Violence isn’t and never will be the answer.

So that makes others wrong?

"Violence" can be, and has been, the answer many millions of times throughout history.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
                          My daughter turned into a demon child Around 3-5 years old and we finally figured out it was Zyrtec and she immediately transformed when we took her off. We’ve since heard multiple first hand stories of the same.

Google search and it’s all over message boards.
                          Thank you, I will do some digging on this.

Comment

for us with our 3yr old we do time out (in a dark room), take toys away, take stuffed animals away, and especially if ours acts up at the dinner table we take the food away. don't get me wrong, we make sure our kid is not starved, but even our pediatrician told us that if she starts playing with her food or misbehaving at the table, to let her go to bed hungry and she will stop acting like that real fast. best of luck to you. it can be very frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post

Eyes wide shut..... must have been weird for your kids to grow up with two moms.

I hate the violence isn’t the answer, that’s why we are where we are in society. No one gets punched in the mouth anymore for acting like a jack***. Kids who get spanked at an early age learn that there are physical consequences for not acting right.

I couldn’t imagine acting up to the point where my dad had to leave work to come to the school. He was old school. He didn’t just ground us or take things away...... he busted our ***, took our crap away, and put us to work. Being a decent person wasn’t optional

Comment

Originally posted by paigers01 View Post
                                We have been going through the same thing with my daughter. Up until recently we have been trying really hard to keep her off of medication, but we’re ready to give it a try. If you don’t mind me asking, what medication are y’all seeing an improvement with?

Demethylphenidate

Comment

Working...
                                X