No announcement yet.

When spanking doesn’t work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 16 year old daughter who I can't remember ever spanking. Don't know if it was because of her being well behaved or me just not being able to do it.

I was always worried about having a boy because I thought I would be too hard on him. Well the doctor spanked him when he came out and it's been happening ever since. He is six now and I will say when he was younger it was a deterrent, but the older he gets the less it works. He is an overly sweet kid, a lot like I was at his age. That said, he has a mean streak/temper that can come out quickly. Spanking him turned into a never ending battle where both sides would just dig in more. Usually my wife being nice and calm with him is the best way to end it.

Like Rugger said above his most feared punishment is boredom. Sending him to time out, taking his tablet away, not taking him to the park, no squirrel hunting, etc will get him on board faster than anything. This is obviously harder to apply to a three year old who is acting out while away from the parents.

Comment

I know with our 3.5 Yo. he goes through phases or leaps lasting days, or weeks. During the leaps he will act out and be a completely different person at times. Being to forceful during leaps can have different affects.

Mental development takes a large jump in 3 yo and can be very overwhelming for the child and yourself. Only advice I can give is be patient and slow to anger. Try spending alone time and talking and ask questions about right and wrong.

Spanking mine out of anger in the moment didn't help him only confused him why I was "being so mean". He still gets his whippings but I wait until the situation is over and calmed down. At 3 its still the same day or following, only bc his memory is very good and he knows everything that happens the day before.
      Last edited by BassMaster13; 11-19-2020, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Standing in the corner can be absolutely torture for some kids, whereas they don't mind spankings because it gets the punishment over and done quickly. Something that takes time like standing in the corner can drive them nuts.

Comment

Pick her up and hug her.

She must not want to be at school.

Maybe she wants mommy and daddy time.

too young to understand the cruel world.

Comment

No kids yet... But I can send prayers... And absorb a lot of the comments here

Comment

My oldest was the same way. Nothing worked. Was even in an inpatient for about 3 weeks at 6 years old. It was always a challenge. She was on Ritalin for years She is in her 30’s now. I guess she still had some of that behavior. My Son in law asked what worked? I told him a few swats to the rear. That when the trouble started. He will get out of the hospital next week.

Joking aside. It was frustrating. Her first child had similar issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was bad in school. I loved to talk and stayed in trouble. I got whooped plenty, but I think for me being stuck in a corner was the worst punishment. I didn't liked being whipped, but I was tough so I could take the whippings. If you put me in a corner I would get some act right real quick. I couldn't stand having to be still and quiet, but luckily I grew out of this stage when I was young

Comment

my son was one that did not do well with spanking his butt...i went thru all the things he liked as far as taking items away, finally, his XBox hurt him more then any arse whoppen, i could give,,, but, i also started useing the LOOK!! at home reinforcing what would happen when they got home, as to not have correct them out in public/ at faliy functions,, the LOOK to this day, he is 28 and daughter is 23, they say its still kinda intimidating.. but in the end its all trial and error Good Luck!!

David G

Comment

I had what I consider the best dad in the world, that being said I was terrified to step out of line, I remember going to the grocery store with him at a young age like you are referring too, with red stripes across the back of my legs from switch he beat my arse with. A water hose, wet rope, and anything else that was handy was also used. I had three whoopins growing up and remember everyone of them like they were yesterday, they were not spankings woopins! Most loving dad you could ever ask for but, acting up was not tolerated. different day and age though.

Comment

Reward for positive behavior and choices. Still hold them accountable for doing wrong but reward them in a way that it makes sense to them to make positive choices.

Comment

She might be trying to test where the line is. I always kept the line very bold, my wife was a little more easy going. I think it takes both kind to raise kid. My wife would always count to 3 with my daughter. She would say "1, 2, 3" then my daughter would get up to do what she was told. When I was around I would just say 3 as I started to remove my belt, and she was already high stepping. You might need to step up you game and get her attention.

Comment

Time to beat them with a stick.

Comment

son was just like that.. we could not even go to restuarants at times due to his behavior. Spanking did not work, meds only mask the problem and when they wear off you have a out of control animal. Take away things, take away junk food and sugary treats, no phones, tv, or games. limited if any. Best i can do now otherwise this would be multiple pages.

Comment

Why do all of these 3 year olds have electronic devices? Much less why do they have ones they are addicted to?

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                                My oldest was the same way. Nothing worked. Was even in an inpatient for about 3 weeks at 6 years old. It was always a challenge. She was on Ritalin for years She is in her 30’s now. I guess she still had some of that behavior. My Son in law asked what worked? I told him a few swats to the rear. That when the trouble started. He will get out of the hospital next week.

Joking aside. It was frustrating. Her first child had similar issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                I see what you did there!

Comment

Working...
                                X