No announcement yet.

Nilgai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I killed one with a pointy stick like you are trying to do. I shot it square in the shoulder about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. It was a young bull. When I field dressed it the lungs are really tall but narrow from front to back. So if you shoot it behind the shoulder you will hit liver and guts. Good luck and I hope to stick a big sucker.

Comment

Not a nilgai but similar vitals

Like anything-- it's about shot placement and there are no rules. I took one last year with a 7mm-08 that went less than 20 yards.
      Last edited by meltingfeather; 11-11-2020, 08:08 AM.

Comment

honestly if you are a confident shot put it on the white spot in neck.

Ive killed several and 9x out of 10 they will be facing you or slight broadside giving you the open shot at that spot, its large and will put em down quick

If you use a quick expanding load be weary of a shoulder shot it will mushroom in the skin and not get good penetration.

Comment

doesn't look right, but it is....lower and farther forward than you think.

Mine went down in sight. Heart picture is included.

Last edited by Atfulldraw; 11-11-2020, 08:58 AM.

Comment

A bunch of y’all must have missed the part where he’s bow hunting it.

High shoulder and neck shots?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              A bunch of y’all must have missed the part where he’s bow hunting it.

High shoulder and neck shots?
              Antlercollector lol ill take both but yes definately going to be doing this bowhunting.... gun is an absolute last resort

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                doesn't look right, but it is....lower and farther forward than you think.

Mine went down in sight. Heart picture is included.

was he quartered away or broadside??

Comment

Originally posted by Kas View Post
                  was he quartered away or broadside??
                  Almost perfectly broadside, leg was just a little forward of the center position.

Keep aiming lower and more forward - your brain wants to move your shot back and further up

Comment

Almost perfectly broadside, leg was just a little forward of the center position.

Keep aiming lower and more forward - your brain wants to move your shot back and further up
                    so **** near right at the elbow is what your saying?

Comment

so **** near right at the elbow is what your saying?
                      pretty much.

Behind it is even better.

Comment

pretty much.

Behind it is even better.
                        id prefer not to hit it lol

Comment

Antlercollector lol ill take both but yes definately going to be doing this bowhunting.... gun is an absolute last resort

Best of luck to you. Hopefully you won’t need the gun.

Comment

Best of luck!

Comment

1/3 of the way up from the breast plate/sternum and directly against the fore leg. You're not going to get a perfectly prone still shot. If you could, I'd recommend 1/4 up from the sternum.

Animal will be moving or flying like a quarter horse and you'll want to empty your chamber to ensure success. I like the neck shots on deer and elk, but not on Nil Gai.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                                1/3 of the way up from the breast plate/sternum and directly against the fore leg. You're not going to get a perfectly prone still shot. If you could, I'd recommend 1/4 up from the sternum.

Animal will be moving or flying like a quarter horse and you'll want to empty your chamber to ensure success. I like the neck shots on deer and elk, but not on Nil Gai.
                                good thing im using a bow! lol

Comment

Working...
                                X