No announcement yet.

Tire Plug Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've driven a lot of miles on plugged tires, some folks durn near have a stroke if they find out (I think they've been getting tire advice from discount)! I've never had an issue with plugged tires or slime in tires!

Comment

I've been at least a100k miles(probably more)on tires with multiple plugs.
      A good plug job will perform as well as a patch.
      Just my experience.

Comment

Stick a nail in the side wall a block from discount tire and hope you don't get caught by the light and they will replace it

Comment

Same happened to me several months ago. I plugged it, aired it up and got about 5k more miles before it gave up the ghost.

Comment

I carry an assortment of screws in my truck. They work great as a temporary fix for a small puncture. Different diameters and different head sizes to match the hole size. Cordless drill and Phillips head screws are the ticket.

Comment

I used plugs for years in my ranch trucks. Never had a single issue.

Comment

Another vote for patch plug.

Comment

When did a plug not become acceptable? I must be behind the times. I plug a tire and never think about it again.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                    Stick a nail in the side wall a block from discount tire and hope you don't get caught by the light and they will replace it
                    If you have the warranty certificate they sell you

I plug tires with various size screws and plug glue. I have been amazed at how long it will last and its the fastest fix on the road I’ve found.

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
                      I got my tires at Discount and they said they only patch now. No plugs.

They can pull your plug out and patch it.
                      I just got a tire "plugged" from discount last week due to a screw in it. It has a plug sticking out of the thread.

on edit... it may have been a patch with a plug in it.
                      Last edited by Huntindad; 11-09-2020, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                        I just got a tire "plugged" from discount last week due to a screw in it. It has a plug sticking out of the thread.

on edit... it may have been a patch with a plug in it.
                        Same here. 1 of my trailer tires had a bolt in it. Took it to discount and they plug patched it. No charge. Just last week...

Comment

I'm gusssing its all a liability issue...other than that there's plenty places around here that can and will plug or patch...Maybe hard to understand though

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                            When did a plug not become acceptable? I must be behind the times. I plug a tire and never think about it again.
                            x100... I have plugs in mine and my wife's vehicles right now and have used plugs since I can remember. I never think twice about it and and have never had a blowout from a plug or had a plug leak.

Comment

Middle of the tire? Plug and keep rolling. Sidewall no way...just use a plug as an emergency to get to a tire shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post

Yup. If a plug starts to leak, I add fix-a-flat to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X