Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Live from Woodbury County, Iowa - 2020 (back in Dixon Co., Nebraska)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live from Woodbury County, Iowa - 2020 (back in Dixon Co., Nebraska)

Live from Woodbury County, Iowa – 2020 (back to Dixon Co., Nebraska)

The first week in November 2020 marks the 11th year total for the LJ Wide 10 Group to pack every piece of archery equipment and cold weather gear we could fit into two trucks and point those trucks north toward the Midwest in search of big bodied bucks with antlers that would shake even the most seasoned bowhunters when they see them!

Matt and Jim left Crawford early yesterday morning and arrived in Camp with Dan and Jack late yesterday afternoon in time to take a quick trip around the farm. Travis and I met in Houston and departed late last night after I got to watch Kade’s Freshmen Industrial Cobra football team put the cap on a very successful 8-2 season by beating the visiting Goliad Tiger JV team, 30-14!

As with the previous seasons, planning for this year’s hunt actually started before we even pulled out of the driveway from the farm following the 2019 hunt. We had identified a couple of trees where we wanted to move stands based on the movement we had watched over the previous three years, all the while trying to find the best ambush spots to get close to one of these Midwest giants.

Dan came up to the farm in early spring and located a tree on the field’s edge by the creek crossing stand where I had set the deer decoy last year that would allow us to see the deer coming a little better and offer a shot toward the deer in the field.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3156.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	25230690

Name:	IMG_3157.jpg
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	25230691

Name:	IMG_3158.jpg
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	25230692

Name:	IMG_3159.jpg
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	25230693

This second location is an inside corner along the big corn field near the river where the deer really seem to use when entering and leaving the field.

Name:	IMG_3160.JPG
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	25230694

Name:	IMG_3161.jpg
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	25230695

Name:	IMG_3164.jpg
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	25230696

With about an hour and a half left to go, we should roll into camp right around noon in time to grab a bite to eat and unload our gear. We are facing warm temps over the weekend, then a good cold snap and some snow starting on Monday to ignite what we hope will be another action packed week of Midwest whitetail hunting! Stay tuned as we will bring your another chapter in the “Live from Woodbury County, Iowa” threads here on Texasbowhunter.com!
    Last edited by blackjack; 11-18-2020, 03:15 PM.

Good luck to y’all.

Comment

Yessir, another good hunting thread. Best of luck

Comment

Get 'em Wade! Good luck guys!

Comment

Good luck! I always enjoy this thread each year.

Comment

Good luck Wade. I love following this annual event.

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Good luck! Will be fun to go along with you! Thanks,

Comment

Being that we are entering year 4 on this farm, it’s hard to explain just how significant the improvements in the age structure and antler quality are being realized on this tract.

With plans for a summer work weekend to help finish some additional stands and make improvements to other existing stands, Travis and I flew up in late July to meet with Dan, Arbo and Jack

Comment

Another addition this season was to add some mock scrape trees, or “tree-coys” to the food plots to hopefully draw the bucks in for better shot opportunities

Comment

Cameras were placed out overlooking the food plots and tree-coys and it didn’t take long to start seeing better bucks

Comment

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good Luck!!! Been waiting for this one. The deer are starting to run here in Central Iowa. Should be a good week!!!

Comment

Oh boy! Tell my friends from Crawford, America I said hello.

Comment

Love following this thread. Go get em gents.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X