No announcement yet.

Killin nubbin bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we get caught up in all of the management stuff too much. I was raised by meat hunters that lived through the great depression, and they diddint save antlers. They simply got hauled off in the gut bucket. Just because the kids shot nubbin bucks doesn’t mean they will be doomed to never be good sportsman. Like I always say, there will always be big deer slip through the cracks and mature. If serious management is something you prefer, it might be best to surround yourself with likeminded people. We need to do all we can to ensure the future of hunting and passing it on to the next generation. And if a nubbin buck lights there fire? Bust em

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
      I think we get caught up in all of the management stuff too much. I was raised by meat hunters that lived through the great depression, and they diddint save antlers. They simply got hauled off in the gut bucket. Just because the kids shot nubbin bucks doesn’t mean they will be doomed to never be good sportsman. Like I always say, there will always be big deer slip through the cracks and mature. If serious management is something you prefer, it might be best to surround yourself with likeminded people. We need to do all we can to ensure the future of hunting and passing it on to the next generation. And if a nubbin buck lights there fire? Bust em

No, that’s not good. There are does and spikes if you want to get a kill under a kids belt. If you just wait a few minutes the doe will walk out behind her baby deer. No reason to shoot a nubber, not even in East Texas. There is no excuse. Teach the kids patience, and that you can’t shoot the first thing that walks out. What good does killing a 65# fawn do anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        No, that’s not good. There are does and spikes if you want to get a kill under a kids belt. If you just wait a few minutes the doe will walk out behind her baby deer. No reason to shoot a nubber, not even in East Texas. There is no excuse. Teach the kids patience, and that you can’t shoot the first thing that walks out. What good does killing a 65# fawn do anyway?

I’m not really speaking of what I would let my kids do. And your right, there’s not much meat on a 65# nubbin buck. But it might make them happy as a lark to shoot a deer. There’s more meat on a spike usually, but other than that I don’t see a difference in the two. I have never thought that antler restriction counties were good for kids. Nor do I think the 2 week “doe season” is good for kids. Sometimes they aren’t privileged with mentors that have access to properties with lots of shot opportunity’s and or time to hunt. We can’t always think of these situations through our own point of view. Why shoot a spike? He could be the next state record. Why let them shoot a mature doe? She probably has a featus that will be a stud one day. When do we stop asking questions and just enjoy doing what we do.

Comment

Killin nubbin bucks

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
          I’m not really speaking of what I would let my kids do. And your right, there’s not much meat on a 65# nubbin buck. But it might make them happy as a lark to shoot a deer. There’s more meat on a spike usually, but other than that I don’t see a difference in the two. I have never thought that antler restriction counties were good for kids. Nor do I think the 2 week “doe season” is good for kids. Sometimes they aren’t privileged with mentors that have access to properties with lots of shot opportunity’s and or time to hunt. We can’t always think of these situations through our own point of view. Why shoot a spike? He could be the next state record. Why let them shoot a mature doe? She probably has a featus that will be a stud one day. When do we stop asking questions and just enjoy doing what we do.

No, that’s the wrong train of thought. Teach the kids patience, that you don’t kill something every time they go sit for an evening. Then, when they finally get to pull the trigger, it will be something really special to them. Hunting is work, I don’t pull the trigger every time I go sit, and neither will my daughter, and you can be dang sure her first deer won’t be a nubber, even if it means she doesn’t get a shot.

Comment

completely depends on buck / doe ratio. not a good practice but if too many bucks and its a kids chance to hunt, let him. its an animal to eat. If I was lacking bucks I'd been watching my kid more closely

Comment

Killin nubbin bucks

I was ona lease for the first year with TXJim after losing another lease. He was good enough to not only invite me but let me use his trailer to sleep and use his Ranger to get around.

Opening weekend I had my then 10? Year old daughter and 7 year old son in a homemade brush blind. It was freaking cold. I left the bipod for the rifle in the Ranger and had to sprint back to it after first light after getting the kids set up. As soon as I sat down, a deer approached and my daughter took aim. I also forgot my binocs.....

She made a perfect shot...on a small target. I couldn’t have been more happy but also texted TXJim to apologize. He immediately put me at ease and congratulated us.

It’s just a deer. Focus on the big picture! She’s killed 1 pig and 1 deer since and doesn’t hunt anymor and will leave for college next September!
              Last edited by ShockValue; 11-03-2020, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Man, I remember that call. Time sure flies but you have made some great memories with your kids along the way....way more important than any deer

Comment

I’m right and you’re wrong

No, I’M right and YOU’RE wrong

NO!!! I AM RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG

NOOOOO!!!! I AM THE ONE WHO IS RIGHT!!!!

Good grief, y’all are gonna make nubbing bucks the new High Fence argument. Guess 2020 still has more to offer us

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post

Good grief, y’all are gonna make nubbing bucks the new High Fence argument. Guess 2020 still has more to offer us

Grown men can shoot mature deer in a fence but kids can’t shoot a low fence nubbin buck [emoji854]

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
                      I was ona lease for the first year with TXJim after losing another lease. He was good enough to not only invite me but let me use his trailer to sleep and use his Ranger to get around.

Opening weekend I had my then 10? Year old daughter and 7 year old son in a homemade brush blind. It was freaking cold. I left the bipod for the rifle in the Ranger and had to sprint back to it after first light after getting the kids set up. As soon as I sat down, a deer approached and my daughter took aim. I also forgot my binocs.....

She made a perfect shot...on a small target. I couldn’t have been more happy but also texted TXJim to apologize. He immediately put me at ease and congratulated us.

It’s just a deer. Focus on the big picture! She’s killed 1 pig and 1 deer since and doesn’t hunt anymor and will leave for college next September!
                      This! It just doesn’t matter, it’s a deer!

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post

Comment

Working...
                        X