No announcement yet.

Hand corn and scent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had deer on my hand corn at times before I'm out of sight. 30-40 yds.
    Some mornings before light I will hear crunching corn before I get to my stand.

Comment

Have never had an issue

Comment

I have had issues where i threw hand corn and when deer or hogs came in and smelled where I walked they busted out.

Comment

I killed a 7.5 year old buck we've been chasing for 3 seasons off hand corn a week ago. Killed him 30 minutes after i threw out the corn. I didnt touch the corn, just poured it out from the bag. Sounds like some here actually touch the corn with their hands, i try to keep from doing that.

Comment

Hand corn is a term used for, corn on the ground. I open the bag and sprinkle it on the ground without ever touching it...Works well!

Comment

Stick your hand in a bag of corn. I bet your hand will smell like corn.

I often store my hunting clothes overnight in an empty corn sack when I know I will be hunting at a corn feeder. It has worked very well for me. I’ve had deer close enough I could feel their breath
              Last edited by AntlerCollector; 11-02-2020, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                I've had occasions where they knew it wasn't supposed to be there and left, .
                We one of those wise old does that always seems to know you are there and warns-off the other deer. Twice last season she came in with 3 other does and stood outside the pen after they hopped in. The wind was in my face. She started acting nervous then blew and they all bolted. I may be giving her credit for more intelligence than a deer has, but both times there was a thick line of hand corn between the blind and the feeder. I wonder if that looked abnormal to her enough to sound the warning.

Comment

It's not an issue, and just think about it!
                  You are putting your hand into a bucket of corn that smells, well....Like corn!
                  your hand will pick up that smell after you place your hand into the corn, and then it's just the corn the deer smell.
                  Put the corn out and see how fast they arrive on the scene to pick it up!

On a side note: I've had deer spook when they noticed corn on the ground on maybe one or two occasions and I believe they may have picked up my scent in the wind, or they were educated to place the sight of corn with humans and a bad experience.
                  Last edited by Jimbo47; 11-02-2020, 09:53 AM.

Comment

You’re overthinking it.

Comment

You're watching to much tv or youtube. Just fill a ziplock with a cup, dump or sling it when you get there.

Comment

I have never not hand corned when hunting. Have shot many deer off the hand corn over the spun corn. Pile a little near a bush a rock, anything that makes them turn a certain way to get a good shot.

Comment

I have a lease in Lampasas where I see a ton of deer. I noticed they were pretty spooky but as stated below the lure of the corn would still make them come in . I started tucking my pants into my rubber boots so the tall grass only touched my rubber boots and pouring corn straight from the bag or a bucket and it seemed to make a difference. I would do this in one area and then go in a different direction about 100 yards away and pull my pant legs out of the boots and pour some more corn on the ground. They were definitely less spooky in the area my pant legs were tucked in my boots. I tried this quite a few times and had the same results every time. This is a spot that deer will be standing outside of the feeder pen waiting for me to leave so they can come in and eat during the off season That is my unscientific experience .

Comment

Deer can learn to associate human sent with FOOD!

Comment

Originally posted by PineDaddy View Post
                              After 24 hours I think they will eat it.
                              After 24 minutes it will be gone in many places. :-).

Comment

I have never had an issue with it from pigs or deer. As mentioned here, I normally pour it into a ziplock bags (someone holds the bag open). When I get to my bow stand I spread the corn without touching it. Just hold the outsize of the ziplock.

Comment

Working...
                                X