Best cold weather gear for bowhunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best cold weather gear for bowhunting

Alright y'all, I typically bowhunt early season in North Texas when it's warm. I'm a couple weeks I'll be going in my first Kansas hunt. It has potential to be decently cold and the last thing I want to do is get cold in the stand. I have a couple of coats that are bulky but I'm afraid they'll interfere with my draw. Any suggestions?

when it's in the 30's or below, I start with silk, then layer of wool blend long underwear, good pants and shirt, then insultated outer layer.

Comment

Well, being from the frozen tundra of North Dakota, I've learned a few things about cold weather gear. First and foremost your base layer is KEY. You NEED a quality set. I wore Under Armor Cols Weather gear for years, it was expensive but worth it. Now there are companies like UA, Sitka, Kuiu, First Light, that make great base layers. Buy them. I believe in you get what you pay for. Merino Wool is excellent. The higher the weight number the warmer you'll be.

Secondly, I wear fleece lined hiking pants coupled with my Sitka base layer. Thats all I wear for pants. My tops are Sitka base layer with a long sleeve tee shirt and the Sitka Kelvin Active Hoodie. Never had an issue coming to full draw with this setup.

As far as feet go, I use LaCrosse silk socks with LaCrosse medium and heavy wool socks(depending on how "cold" it is), with LaCrosse Alpha Burly 800gram boots. I am toasty all day.

Then I wear a Sitka balaclava.

CamoFire.com is my go to for Sitka clothing or BlackOvis.com. They usually have some pretty great deals on there. I've probably paid half price or less for all my Sitka clothing between those to websites, and my LaCrosse socks and boots.

Most importantly, dont skip out on price for cold weather gear. If you buy cheap schitt you will get cold. Spend some money and take care of it, you'll have it for many years.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with monsterken. Buy the good stuff. I bowhunt in NW Nebraska and it's usually in the mid 20's for a high and the wind never stops blowing up there. Get a good wind resistant outer layer! I have several pair of the UA thermals. They are expensive, but I've washed them probably 200 times over the years and they are still in great shape. You get what you pay for...

Comment

Working...
        X