Financial Tip of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Codie View Post
    Any knowledge of if that annual contribution into my child’s Roth IRA is tax deductible on my end each year up to the $6,000 amount?
    Roth IRA contributions are made with after tax dollars, thus no deductibility. Benefit of a Roth IRA is all of the growth is tax free.

Comment

input that same amount into S&P 500 index fund, get the same results and can pull from it whenever you please.

Comment

Originally posted by MossyRockRanch View Post
        Our kids work at the ranch throughout the year and log every job they do and we pay them for that . Money goes into there savings account then we transfer to the Roth . They even started asking about the returns this year and how we have invested it. They are learning the true value of work and savings which is really hard for most kids today.
        That's real cool..Well done.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
          input that same amount into S&P 500 index fund, get the same results and can pull from it whenever you please.
          With the exception that any capital gains are taxed at relevant rates.

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
            With the exception that any capital gains are taxed at relevant rates.
            And ordinary rates on dividends even if reinvested...[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kenner27 View Post
              My 401k is ROTH, I haven’t seen anyone directly refer to this. It’s the right choice correct? The company I work for matches nothing. Also, I believe maxing out a 401k is 18,600/year? If I were to get to max this out, I then need to open an IRA up and max it out too?
              401k max is $19,500 this year. Subject to change each year.

Roth 401k is dollars invested post tax. Conventional 401k is pre-tax dollars deferred comp before taxes. The difference is Roth 401k is not taxed coming out when you retire. The growth is tax free. A conventional 401k is taxed coming out for both your principal and growth. It’s taxed at your income tax bracket that year.

The thought behind Roth 401k is that tax brackets and rates are only going to go up with time due to our political climate. So go ahead and pay taxes now and save on the increased tax rates in years to come upon retirement.

It really depends on your income level and tax bracket now. High income earners would rather have a conventional 401k and defer the tax till later. They are already paying high taxes.

A Roth IRA is separate. It’s in addition to your Roth 401k. Max for a Roth IRA is $6k. It works similar to a Roth 41k in that it’s post tax savings plan and the growth is not taxed coming out upon retirement age

Comment

Love this! I didn’t get to start quite that young but have been maxing it out since I turned 22!! Hopefully that plus my retirement set me up well.

Comment

Working...
                X