X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

None right now

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Go check out the backcountry gear thread, look at JayScott Outdoors podcast for Arizona mule deer episodes. Be prepared to be mobile, if you set up in one spot and there aren't deer, you'll want to move. Tons of quail, predator, small game and javelina hunting opportunities as well (you need a tag for javi). Get the best binos and a tripod that you can afford, let your eyes do the walking and cover ground for you. You're going to want a stove to keep warm in your tent, or a Mr Buddy heater at a minimum. Last January we experienced temps ranging from 10-65 degrees with some days getting above freezing for just an hour or so. Think about what items and gear you'll need to effectively/comfortably sit still and glass when its 15* and snowing.

Comment

Snow chains. Learn how to put them on and take them off before you need them. They also come in handy in the mud as the desert can get nasty in a hurry with a little rain. Fill up your gas tank at the last possible town so that you can run your heater if you get stuck on the road.

Check the regs as the otc units are not all open at the same time. Your tag is good for a calendar year so you need two if you hunt through New Years. Many otc units hunt right after or coincide with rifle hunts so you can expect the deer to be educated.

If you hunt south of I10 expect to see more boarder patrol than deer.

The weather will ultimately play a significant role in the outcome of your hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
        X