No announcement yet.

Southeast Iowa Live.....Come Along for the Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like you’re gonna have some nice targets next year Mike.

Comment

You sure can tell from your pics how much the rut wears those big boys down and how important good food sources are going into winter time means to their survival.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        It looks like you’re gonna have some nice targets next year Mike.
        There are a couple of good ones missing, but I have confidence that they are going to show up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
          You sure can tell from your pics how much the rut wears those big boys down and how important good food sources are going into winter time means to their survival.
          Yes. Food, food, food is what is important until spring green up. Our turnip and radish food plots are starting to look like mine fields. I am planning to plant several acres of corn next year and leave it standing to supplement our brassica and cereal grain food plots.

Comment

Dang son, you got some nice bucks!

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
              Dang son, you got some nice bucks!
              Those pictures where you can see the road in the background is about 300 yards straight out from our living room just across the river. I have not ever set a stand in there. The deer cross the road right in that area.

I had a camera on a scrape there, but I ended up learning about the movement in that spot. I will have a stand in there next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                Those pictures where you can see the road in the background is about 300 yards straight out from our living room just across the river. I have not ever set a stand in there. The deer cross the road right in that area.

I had a camera on a scrape there, but I ended up learning about the movement in that spot. I will have a stand in there next year.

Heck yeah! Use that tree saddle!

I got my tether and lineman ropes today/mech prusiks! Im getting pretty excited.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                  Heck yeah! Use that tree saddle!

I got my tether and lineman ropes today/mech prusiks! Im getting pretty excited.
                  Good deal !!! Practice with it a couple of feet off the ground until you get familiar with your gear. You will develop a routine but it takes awhile to figure out what works best for you.

I hunted a tree night before last that I have been looking at for two years. It's a cool looking big, old Elm that has 5 separate trunks. It's a knarly old beast that took some trimming to get up in. This tree is about 120 yards behind the house and about 50 yards from a small food plot. As soon as I got up in my saddle I saw deer in the neighbor's cut bean field. This was Monday evening. The moon was almost full.

We got about 4" of snow yesterday with an inch of frozen sleet on top.

Comment

Beautiful pics! Love the cat, it is awesome they go with you.

Yessir, I was gonna practice today, but it looks like rain most of the day.

Comment

Well, I got my ring of steps, getting closer

Comment

It's the last evening of the season here in Iowa. I have not hunted much lately. It's been too dang cold with with about 5-6 inches of snow, a layer of frozen sleet and 2-3 more inches of snow on top for the last couple of weeks. You break thru the crust layer on about every third step. It's no fun walking without snow shoes to keep you on top. I am sitting in the tree saddle on a ridge with cedar bedding just behind me and a fence crossing about 80 yards below me. Perfect weather this evening. 27 degrees and calm winds.

I just had to sit one more time. It has been a great season !!!

Comment

You have a nice long season in Iowa, like we do. Hope you and the tracking cat have a great offseason. Maybe he can help you find some great sheds you can post up.

Comment

What a season it has been!! Now I am only 2 years away from experiencing it myself. Try to stay safe and warm and keep in touch friend.

Comment

The best to ya on the final evening Mike!

Sure do bring back memories. I've been checking in on a regular basis. Just haven't posted much.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                                What a season it has been!! Now I am only 2 years away from experiencing it myself. Try to stay safe and warm and keep in touch friend.
                                Can't wait !!! I have hunted by myself the last two years. It has been awesome, but to share it with others is more fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X