No announcement yet.

Southeast Iowa Live.....Come Along for the Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a shooter come down the ridge towards me at 6:45. I thought he was going to come by me but he angled away from my location and never got in range. I grunted at him. He looked but kept moving. Another small buck moved across to my right.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I just spotted a buck bedded down up the ridge and to my right. I can see his white belly and his head moving. Can't tell much about his horns.

Comment

I just heard two bucks fighting down towards the river.

Comment

Keep at it man. Getting closer!

Comment

Good luck this morning!

Comment

Sounds like an eventful morning

Any cars around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Caught up Mike!
                Loving the live hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
                  Sounds like an eventful morning

Any cars around?

No cars, but if you mean cats they didn't know where I at was today. I took the the Ranger around on the gravel and come in the back side of the timbered ridge I was hunting this morning. I was hunting up in the top left corner per the Huntstand map. It's about a two mile trip to get around to my entry point. If I am walking out the back door of the shop to go hunting they will find me.[emoji1] They are resting up in the shop getting ready for this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Hsbtgarcia View Post
                    Caught up Mike!
                    Loving the live hunt!
                    Good luck to you guys !!!

The bedded buck finally got up and moved off. I didn't rattle or grunt at him. I would rather he not know I was there since I wasn't planning on shooting him. I got to glass him for an hour and a half.

I have pictures of him at the scrape I was hunting. Not a huge buck, but very cool. He was at about 70-80 yards so the phone pictures aren't too good (as usual), but you can see the sun reflecting off his horns. I thought about trying to make a stalk just to see if if could get close, but when you get on the ground in that timber it is treacherous. Multi flora rose that will rip you up, blow down logs and limbs, rough terrain, and a carpet of crunchy leaves.

Here is the buck on the camera that I have on the scrape I am hunting.

The scrape hunting is going to be winding down for now as the full chase mode is ramping up. That scrape that I have rattled two bucks in to was full of leaves this morning.

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 11-04-2020, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Always fun being close! I woulda done the same thing if I wanted to get a shot at him.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Really enjoy following along this thread. You’re living the dream, congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                          No cars, but if you mean cats they didn't know where I at was today. I took the the Ranger around on the gravel and come in the back side of the timbered ridge I was hunting this morning. I was hunting up in the top left corner per the Huntstand map. It's about a two mile trip to get around to my entry point. If I am walking out the back door of the shop to go hunting they will find me.[emoji1] They are resting up in the shop getting ready for this evening.

I did mean cats

Lol

Good luck tomorrow

Comment

I went down behind the house tonight. It was kinda slow for most of the evening. I saw a spike at 4:30. Then about 5:00 I saw the broke off 6 point. I was about ready to get down at 5:30 when a doe came by at 25 yards and into the little food plot. I then hear leaves crunching and here is the split G2 buck. I have a lot of pictures of this buck from last year and this year. I have one of his sheds. This year I have seen him several times at 300 yards and one time at 53 yards. At 25 yards he is pretty impressive. I was out of shooting light and I am sure it was past legal shooting time. I got to watch him for a few minutes in the dim light. Three more does come right under my stand. Now I have the buck and 4 does in the little food plot and I am stuck in the stand.

I see flashing lights coming over the hill on my neighbors ground. It is his combine with a bean head coming to cut his bean field. Ok. I think this is going to spook the deer and give me some cover to get out of the stand. Well the split G2 buck and the four does just stand and watch as my neighbor engages the bean head and starts cutting beans. Finally the buck moves off up towards our house. I throw my rattling horns down hoping to run the does off. I lower my pack and bow and climb down. While I am packing up the does start blowing from a couple of different locations. I am not sure where the buck has gone. A cloud of soy bean dust is filling the meadow behind the house and my wife is texting me that dinner is ready. Fun evening in the Iowa woods.[emoji1]

Here is the split G2 buck at 53 yards about 10 days ago and a couple other pictures of him. I am torn on whether I want to shoot this buck. In a perfect scenario I would like him to breed our does, pass on these cool genetics and live another year.

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 11-04-2020, 08:11 PM.

Comment

He's a trophy for sure.

Comment

One f these bad boys will mess up soon, Mike. Hunt where the odds are in your favor and it will happen!

Comment

Working...
                                X