High Fence Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randal View Post
    I feel like the difference in our opinions is if it’s HF they are in a cage, they can’t leave. Eventually your going to see them.. there is no escape.. at 800 yards you didn’t get to 20 yards but you he did have the choice to get a mile away..

Totally dependent on the size of the property. I hunted for a week on a 122k acre high fence ranch. I promise you we never saw the same deer. We never even saw the entire ranch. That’s an extreme example but using it to make a point.

I’ve hunted much smaller HF ranches (~2k acres) and am sure I did not see the same deer twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
      I feel like the difference in our opinions is if it’s HF they are in a cage, they can’t leave. Eventually your going to see them.. there is no escape.. at 800 yards you didn’t get to 20 yards but you he did have the choice to get a mile away..
      It isn't about escaping even on low fence places. Deer have a home range and they stay in it except in extreme conditions. The don't escape any predator. They evade.
      We have the advantage. That is how it is the way it works. Humans have always looked for the advantage. That's why we've survived in an ecosystem where we weren't the strongest, fastest or most well equipped physically. We survived because of our ability to find advantages. Whether it be on how to cure or prevent disease or how to ensure meat over the fire.
      When I go "hunting" I'm going looking to kill something. Most times it doesn't work out. But if it happens too often I find a different spot to hunt.
      Hunting is different for everyone. What drives us, what satisfies us.
      When I go on an easy hunt the sense of enjoyment is usually as much from sharing camp with a friend or three, maybe making some new ones and hopefully trying out a new type of venison.
      I seriously doubt anyone here would compare a 2000 acre HF exotic hunt to a bow hunt for a Dall sheep in Alaska.
      It's folks like you who make it a big deal like a crime is committed when someone says they went on a hunt.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
        The deer on the King Ranch & Kennedy Ranch area are the tamest deer I have been around. You can literally walk up to bow range w them & they don't spook or blow when they smell you.
        100%....easy.....saw it with my own eyes.....especially if you're in a white truck ....ranch trucks and oil field service guys all drove white trucks, at the time anyway.... drive right up within easy gun distance.

Small acreage HF is probably tougher, and that's still a joke. Large acreage HF with plenty of cover can be an entirely different story. Highly pressured deer are the toughest, HF or LF. They tend to simply "disappear"....

Comment

If the fence didn't make a difference it would not be there.....period

Most high fence guys have one thing in common, they think they are the greatest outdoorsman on their cul-de-sac
          Last edited by CitiotsGoHome; 10-20-2020, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            I'm good with either way (except the kick and pops) but I do have to laugh at the folks that hunt on small acreage surrounded by others that hunt small acreage jammed packed with hunters, or 25-30 hunters on 1500 acres of timberland that say that deer on 1500-5000 acre high fence ranches have no place to go and is not hunting. That just cracks me the F up.

There you go making sense again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              It isn't about escaping even on low fence places. Deer have a home range and they stay in it except in extreme conditions. The don't escape any predator. They evade.
              We have the advantage. That is how it is the way it works. Humans have always looked for the advantage. That's why we've survived in an ecosystem where we weren't the strongest, fastest or most well equipped physically. We survived because of our ability to find advantages. Whether it be on how to cure or prevent disease or how to ensure meat over the fire.
              When I go "hunting" I'm going looking to kill something. Most times it doesn't work out. But if it happens too often I find a different spot to hunt.
              Hunting is different for everyone. What drives us, what satisfies us.
              When I go on an easy hunt the sense of enjoyment is usually as much from sharing camp with a friend or three, maybe making some new ones and hopefully trying out a new type of venison.
              I seriously doubt anyone here would compare a 2000 acre HF exotic hunt to a bow hunt for a Dall sheep in Alaska.
              It's folks like you who make it a big deal like a crime is committed when someone says they went on a hunt.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
              I simply said it’s not really hunting, I didn’t say it was a crime I actually said if someone wants to do it then have at it.. I’ve done it before

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                The deer on the King Ranch & Kennedy Ranch area are the tamest deer I have been around. You can literally walk up to bow range w them & they don't spook or blow when they smell you.
                I have seen some pics of a guy feeding them out of a bucket.

Comment

Every cell in my body says " don't get involved in this" . But sometimes I fail at discretion.I have both hi fence and low fence properties and a good many years observing both. To believe that hf cant be equal to or even more challenging to hunt than low fence is simply wrong. I too hunted the King Ranch when it opened as well as other low fenced ranches where the deer mellow. The challenge of the hunt is generally a function of pressure and habitat.

To prove the point to the " its a cage crowd" "It aint hunting crowd" "Eventually your going to see them crowd" " they cant escape crowd" etc etc I offer the following challenge. Here is a pic of a 7 or 8 yr old buck on my farm.I offer all the critics the opportunity to come hunt him. Got a pic of him last night . If you get him you will have a magnificent mid 190's trophy. If you don't get him you pay my management bill for the year...feed, seed, and labor. The only other qualifier I'll put on it is that after your through hunting him you have to report in about how the hunt went. Should be simple right? Its only 1350 acres
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hunterburch42 View Post
                    You ever been to a wildlife park and rode around with the feed buckets?

The HF NON NATIVE, guys always get defensive and butt hurt

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                      Every cell in my body says " don't get involved in this" . But sometimes I fail at discretion.I have both hi fence and low fence properties and a good many years observing both. To believe that hf cant be equal to or even more challenging to hunt than low fence is simply wrong. I too hunted the King Ranch when it opened as well as other low fenced ranches where the deer mellow. The challenge of the hunt is generally a function of pressure and habitat.

To prove the point to the " its a cage crowd" "It aint hunting crowd" "Eventually your going to see them crowd" " they cant escape crowd" etc etc I offer the following challenge. Here is a pic of a 7 or 8 yr old buck on my farm.I offer all the critics the opportunity to come hunt him. Got a pic of him last night . If you get him you will have a magnificent mid 190's trophy. If you don't get him you pay my management bill for the year...feed, seed, and labor. The only other qualifier I'll put on it is that after your through hunting him you have to report in about how the hunt went. Should be simple right? Its only 1350 acres

Where’s the like button?

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post

Walk in the park😁 , and who's gonna take this man up on this offer?? I bet that "managment" bill is what a small house cost 😂.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post

The HF NON NATIVE, guys always get defensive and butt hurt

When you hit the feeder on the truck and they walk 2 seconds later right behind the back of the truck... haha I mean it’s fun but it’s not the same

Comment

I like turtles

Comment

I have deer at my place in Georgetown that I can hand feed and throw tortillas at like a Frisbee. Dog walks right by them. They will walk on my porch to get water out of the dog bowl and eat the dog food. They all spend most of their time on the Corps land behind me and there are about 25 guys on here that hunt there that say its a hard hunt. I hunted a high fence place for 4 days and never saw a mature animal. Very nocturnal.

Most guys I know that ended up high fencing did it because of people shooting everything. Neighbor would lease land and put 6-7 hunters on a section and let tem decide on what is taken off it. Does not take long to have no maturity on your herd. Most guys high fence the idiots out from my experience and not high fencing the critters in.
                              Last edited by glen; 10-20-2020, 09:16 AM.

Comment

People can do what they want. The issue for some people is mostly the principal of the matter. Wether it’s 100 acres or 100,000 acres, a fence is a fence. I can only imagine the fuel that the high fence operations give to anti hunting organizations. I personally feel like high fence gives the hunting community a black eye. Do as you may, but I will NEVER cut someone a check to shoot a deer, nor will I ever so much as hunt a high fence place for anything. It would bother me to know I had a living room full of high fence bucks mounted on the wall. In general, deer hunting has took a turn for the worst.

Comment

Working...
                                X