Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Done with mechanical broadhead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you bowhunt long enough you will develop a feeling about one broadhead or another, and someone else can be 180 degrees from you. Any time I make a bad shot it is absolutely the broadhead's fault and I will never shoot that one again. Several broadhead's are in the "never shoot" pile for me, and they are the go-tos for some of my friends. When we have good luck with one, we tend to stay with it.

I am another one that loves my Grim Reapers. I have shot the Whitetail Special for years. This year I am opting for the Whitetail Extreme because I said the only way to make the Whitetail Special better is to give it four blades. They did.

Comment

Yeah, it was definitely the broadheads fault......

Comment

Originally posted by Abu_dude View Post
        I hope that one day, if my name and honor need to be defended, that my friends defend it with the same vigor and tenacity that some of yall defend mechanicals
        Seriously?

Comment

I am going through the same thing. Been trying different heads. I also started off with swhackers. Shot a 110lb hog, no pass thru, hog ran 40 yards and piled up. Blood not real impressive. Shot another hog with a different head, @10 yards in the heart. Hog ran in a 20ft half circle and dropped dead. Blades never opened up on impact. Looked like a 22 hole. No pass thru and being a heart shot, no blood.
          Then I tried Nap Spitfires. Another heart shot at 20 yards. No pass thru but hog was at least 150lbs. Ran about 40 yards and piled up. Blood trail started immediately and Ray Charles could have followed it. Cut on impact was impressive. Got a few more yet to try out.
          Yeah, it’s always the Indian, not the broadhead!!

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
            Arrow weight is super important especially with a 2” expandable, or any expandable for that matter.

350g arrow at 70# IS NOT the same as a 550g arrow at 70#.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed. The lighter arrow travels much faster lol

Comment

shot a hog and couldn't find it? that's ideal perfect pig shot.

Comment

I'm a mechanical guy for deer 100%. That being said, I have a reusable fixed head or two in my quiver for hogs and stuff.

Comment

I put mechanical heads in the same category as those electronic sights. Its just one more thing that can mess up. I don't need any more opportunities for mess ups. I create plenty of those on my own!

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                    shot a hog and couldn't find it? that's ideal perfect pig shot.

Comment

Originally posted by PVDT View Post
                      Seriously?
                      lol yes, seriously....a post goes up about high FOC heavy arrows and people come out of the woodwork to tell us we are sucking at the Ranch Fairy Teet. Yet, as soon as a guy posts something about "my light arrow with a mechanical didn't kill" everyone is so quick to blame the shooter or the arrow weight not being heavy enough. The irony is hilarious!

Comment

buddy at work started having this same issue on pigs and axis his mechanicals were not getting good penetration. it could have been his brand of broadhead, which he has used for a long time, changed how they are making them. I am not sure but he has since switched to fixed blades

Comment

No mechanicals for me. They are fantastic when they don’t hit big bone. But I can’t always control what the animal is going to do when I release an arrow. I’ll stick to something I know will stay together and keep pushing in the event the shot isn’t perfect.

Comment

I use fixed bc that was the first broadheads I bought, off a clearance rack. Haven't let me down.
                            Interested in that Grim Reaper Micro Hybrid though. Looks wicked.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                              I use to be a huge rage fan until I had one break. Shoot Grim Reapers now. Way superior made mechanical.
                              Love my Grim Reapers

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                                Outside looking in as I am relatively new to bowhunting. A lot of things can go wrong... Why add to the list with a mechanical not deploying? Just seems like you have better odds of a clean kill with a fixed blade. I doubt I ever go to a mechanical bh. No judgment on anyone that does, just not for me/my opinion.
                                I hunt with guys who use nothing but mechanical. They pay their money and their choice. However, for me I leave nothing to chance....even if 1 in 1000.

Fixed BH only for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X