Pigs are a tough Sum Betch...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pigs are a tough Sum Betch...

Man I’m stumped. Opening morning of bow season, had a nice fat porker come out to the feeder. Came in range, feeder is right at 20 yards, perfect broadside shot, took my time and let the carbon fly!! Appears to be a good shot, if anything possibly 1-2”s a little back.. but after impact the arrow only appears to penetrate 2-3”s or so and fall out when the pig hauls azz....he ran 30 yards..stops.. then walks off in the woods to never be seen again. I know the arrow hit, could hear the thump and the rage was covered in fatty meat.. picture below were covered in fat... anyone have a similar experience? Broadhead is a rage hypodermic 100g with a ics hunter 400s I believe..

Here’s the video,

Attached Files

It's a rage.

Comment

how was the bloodtrail?

Comment

Do you know how heavy the ICS 400 is? Your arrow build might be too light. I've been following this channel which changed my approach towards shooting pigs.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-SiUciW6Fc&t=1796s"]High FOC Arrow Build Basics l Ranch Fairy - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I have had 1 hypodermic not open right. Every other shot I have made with them has been a through and through. That includes a couple of 250+ pound porkers.

When they work they are deadly, if I ever have another one fail I’m done but so far so good

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
            how was the bloodtrail?
            Couldn’t find any, that’s what leads me to believe I didn’t get good penetration... not to mention the grass were he ran was chest high

Comment

Originally posted by Cratus View Post
              Do you know how heavy the ICS 400 is? Your arrow build might be too light. I've been following this channel which changed my approach towards shooting pigs.

High FOC Arrow Build Basics l Ranch Fairy - YouTube
              If I remember right I though I was somewhere in the 380- 400 grain range. But I’m then again I could be off I will have to look when I get home...

Comment

Originally posted by dosrobles View Post
                I have had 1 hypodermic not open right. Every other shot I have made with them has been a through and through. That includes a couple of 250+ pound porkers.

When they work they are deadly, if I ever have another one fail I’m done but so far so good
                I think this one opened as intended but I after looking the broad head over these blades didn’t feel as sharp and my others. I know it had already cut but I would think I would still have a pretty decent edge...

I’ve shot whitetail with the same and had through and through with zero issues... that’s what’s leaving me dumbfounded... was this pig the exception having a army tank layer of arrow proof skin?? I know the shield is pretty thick but not arrow stopping thick

Comment

I'm a Rage fan, but I've got a G5 Montec in my quiver for those bigger hogs.

Comment

That arrow is too light for mechanical broadheads (especially for thick skinned porkers). End of story.

Comment

Bowtech?

Comment

I shot a hog years ago that I just KNEW I made a good shot on, think I even had video and it looked great but never found it.

Fast forward a couple of months and had someone over to shoot a pig and he connected. He stunk but thought it was just the fact it was a good sized boar.

Noticed something odd in the hair, discovered a broken off carbon arrow.

Being I am somewhat tight I decided I was getting my broadhead back and investigating. Turns out it was just high enough to go OVER the spine and I learned that a whole pack of broadheads would not be worth what I went through to get that one back.
                        The aluminum from the insert was pretty much gone and that slicktrick smelled like something dead after a month in peroxide and I ended up tossing it anyway
                        Last edited by BTLowry; 10-05-2020, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I dream of the day when just one pig comes out at my feeder.

Comment

Sounds like you hit bone bud. My fiance shot a 150 pound pig this weekend with a Slick trick Grizz trick 1 1/4 broadhead. Hit it far back, but the pig only ran 40 yards and fell over. Broadhead completely passed through. Shes shooting a Matthews Missions MXR at 26" draw at 45 pounds. I'm sure you have double if not triple the KE she does.
                            Last edited by Arrowthreat; 10-05-2020, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ACbob View Post
                              I dream of the day when just one pig comes out at my feeder.
                              Careful for what you wish for.....pigs have overrun our place and not seeing near as many deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X