Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raccoons won’t quit!

Originally posted by Deafishunter View Post
    I’ve been using the duke dog proof traps for a week now. Like some have said, once you catch the first couple of coons the rest of the gang knows something is wrong. And will start to get crafty in stealing your bait without pulling the trigger.
    Since then I’ve rebaited my dukes 5 days in a row without a coon.

Been trying different things, since they know how to avid the trigger nothing is helping.

Smart critters.

Can’t say that I’ve had more that 3/4 traps picked clean since 2015. And that’s with a single marshmallow. None with corn or protein.

Single regular marshmallow UNDER the trigger. When you set it, it compresses it down so they really have to work for it. Set a hair trigger with the dog to the side. Then cover the MM to the trigger with corn or protein because that’s what they are there for. They will grab and grab and grab. When it gets too warm, we take the MM out every morning and reset each night or we go straight corn/protein. Usually do straight corn or protein in the summer because when you are running 10-15 traps (2-3 each) at several feedpens, it’s nice to drive up and check from the truck. No coons?...drive away and on to the next pen knowing ants won’t bother it and it won’t melt.

If coons got as smart as some folks are giving them credit for after the first couple of catches we wouldn’t be at now 418 since 5/2015. Or maybe we just some extraordinarily dumb coons! Either way, the turkey egg eaters are getting gone. Of course you work two nights to catch 5 and then on Monday, the Coverts show momma coon shows up with 4 kits in a brand new clutch to replace them. [emoji2359]. It’s a never ending battle. But it’s fun. I enjoy hunting while I sleep [emoji41]
    Last edited by Smart; 03-11-2021, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Dukes traps are the best traps for coons period. All you need is mini marshmallows as bait.

Slinky’s on the feeder legs are the best coon deterrent money can buy. I’ve been using them for several years now, and don’t even have coons on camera anymore. Had a thread about it a few years back.

Golden Marlin mixed in a bowl with some Coca-Cola will wipe out every coon that comes to drink it. The deer don’t mess with it. I’m pretty sure it’s illegal. For the record, I’ve never tried it. You can purchase GM at Tractor Supply.

Comment

I found the thread about using Slinky’s

Comment

Originally posted by Rem40x View Post
          Golden marlin ......

Highly illegal.... but I’ve heard it works great... from a friend of course

Comment

First off: Better feeder with eliminator spin plate.

2nd: Above mentioned fly issues

3rd: Duke proof coon traps

Comment

Originally posted by Rem40x View Post
              Golden marlin ......
              I would be careful...I think this is against the law.
              Adios,
              Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                I would be careful...I think this is against the law.
                Adios,
                Gary
                And I think they reduced the potency so that it doesn't work.

Eliminator plates combined with any cage will 100% end them getting corn out. PVC, grease, slinkys, etc just sound like a PIA.

Comment

Move the leg brackets up to the middle of the barrel. They can't reach it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Can’t say that I’ve had more that 3/4 traps picked clean since 2015. And that’s with a single marshmallow. None with corn or protein.

Single regular marshmallow UNDER the trigger. When you set it, it compresses it down so they really have to work for it. Set a hair trigger with the dog to the side. Then cover the MM to the trigger with corn or protein because that’s what they are there for. They will grab and grab and grab. When it gets too warm, we take the MM out every morning and reset each night or we go straight corn/protein. Usually do straight corn or protein in the summer because when you are running 10-15 traps (2-3 each) at several feedpens, it’s nice to drive up and check from the truck. No coons?...drive away and on to the next pen knowing ants won’t bother it and it won’t melt.

If coons got as smart as some folks are giving them credit for after the first couple of catches we wouldn’t be at now 418 since 5/2015. Or maybe we just some extraordinarily dumb coons! Either way, the turkey egg eaters are getting gone. Of course you work two nights to catch 5 and then on Monday, the Coverts show momma coon shows up with 4 kits in a brand new clutch to replace them. [emoji2359]. It’s a never ending battle. But it’s fun. I enjoy hunting while I sleep [emoji41]
                    So the traps are not really keeping the population in check? Most of the ranchers out west blame corn feeders for the population bursts in racoons. I don't know if thats true or not, but seems as reasonable as the fireants devastating the quail?

Comment

If you have a serviceable varmint guard, there's nothing they can do....

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                        So the traps are not really keeping the population in check? Most of the ranchers out west blame corn feeders for the population bursts in racoons. I don't know if thats true or not, but seems as reasonable as the fireants devastating the quail?

I used to see 15-16 coons a night at my feeders...now I see 2-3. I'd say we are doing a good job of keeping them in check.....but at 3-4 "refills" a pop they can climb back in the game quick.....It's a never ending battle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coon acrobats.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	24645902

Name:	MDGC0133 (Medium).JPG
Views:	21
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	24645903

Name:	MDGC0182 (Medium).JPG
Views:	15
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	24645904

Comment

If the coons can't get to the corn in the feeder, they will give up and go away... I started having terrible issues with the new Buc-ee's ASF feeders once the coons figured out how they could reach the spinner... I'd have coons stacked around the feeders all night, every night, some even in the daylight. They could empty the feeder in about 2 weeks... Once I made modifications to the bottom plate where they could no longer reach the spinner, they disappeared. Now I'll get one or 2 coons after dark and they'll eat any corn on the ground and what's on the bottom plate of the feeder then they disappear... If you constantly have coons on your feeder, they're getting to the corn somehow. You need to fix that problem rather than try to keep up with killin 'em... You'll never win that battle.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            If the coons can't get to the corn in the feeder, they will give up and go away... I started having terrible issues with the new Buc-ee's ASF feeders once the coons figured out how they could reach the spinner... I'd have coons stacked around the feeders all night, every night, some even in the daylight. They could empty the feeder in about 2 weeks... Once I made modifications to the bottom plate where they could no longer reach the spinner, they disappeared. Now I'll get one or 2 coons after dark and they'll eat any corn on the ground and what's on the bottom plate of the feeder then they disappear... If you constantly have coons on your feeder, they're getting to the corn somehow. You need to fix that problem rather than try to keep up with killin 'em... You'll never win that battle.
                            True story

Comment

Working...
                            X