Steel thickness on a protein feeder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steel thickness on a protein feeder?

I have a protein feeder that has developed some rust. A couple places got so bad that I cut out some strips to look at the interior. I wanted to sell it but I don't think it would sell in its current state.
    So now I'm thinking I will strip this down to the bones and rebuild it.

My question for more experienced welders:
    What gauge steel should I use for the shell and interior feed diverters? I'd like as thin as possible but something I could still weld to the frame without burning through it.

All depends in the type of welder you have and for the most part, how good of a welder you are. I would think 12ga would work for most people. If you are mig welding, you could probably go down to 14ga or even 16ga

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
      All depends in the type of welder you have and for the most part, how good of a welder you are. I would think 12ga would work for most people. If you are mig welding, you could probably go down to 14ga or even 16ga
      Lincoln 140 and I use gasless flux core. And my skills as a welder depends on who you ask. My 15 year old thinks I'm amazing...a career welder would think I'm sh*t. I think I'm somewhere in between.

Comment

All I've worked on is 1/8" but I've done quite a bit with it (feeder bracket, winch bracket, DIY pull behind mower). It's the thin stuff I'm worried about burning through.

Comment

Get some 14 and 16 gauge scrap to test your welding skills. If the 16 gauge works I wouldn't go thicker.

If possible, I would drill and tap the frame and screw .060 aluminum panels to it. Much lighter and no rust issues.

Comment

[QUOTE=Native Texan;15099528]Get some 14 and 16 gauge scrap to test your welding skills. If the 16 gauge works I wouldn't go thicker.

If possible, I would drill and tap the frame and screw .060 aluminum panels to it. Much lighter and no rust issues.[/QUOTE]

I've been told, speed limit signs work well also.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
              Get some 14 and 16 gauge scrap to test your welding skills. If the 16 gauge works I wouldn't go thicker.
              I think this is the way I'll go.

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
              I've been told, speed limit signs work well also.
              Uh huh...just what you heard?

Comment

If your welding is questionable I would lay some 1/2-1" tacks around and then run a bead of NP1 caulking along to fill the rest. That stuff will last as long as the weld/metal sometimes, especially if there is rust involved.

Comment

Working...
                X