No announcement yet.

Prickly Pear Jelly and Syrup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife makes me prickly pear syrup we put in frozen margaritas and it’s fantastic. Have to pick them now before the deer and hogs get to them. The fat dark purple ones are the best.

Comment

How do you know then they are ripe? Mine at the house are from green to purple.

Also, how do you harvest them. I am afraid I will end up with all those little quills in my hands.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post

Also, how do you harvest them. I am afraid I will end up with all those little quills in my hands.
        I’d say a dark ruby red is what you’re after. They’ll also just snap right off, if you have to really work to get them off then they are not ready. Also, I use tongs to get them off.

Comment

Deer and hogs do love them!

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Prickly Pear and Agarita are my all- time favorites.

Without taking away from the homemade stuff, check out Brushfire Farms. I just don't have the time to endure the entire process so I'll get with them when I need some. It's 100% South Texas fruit and he makes it in San Antonio.

Comment

Cut some in half... put in quart jar and fill with your favorite tequila. Let sit for about a month.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                For those of you who have experience in making jelly, when do you cut the pears? What do you look for as far as ripeness? Are the pears firm, soft/mushy, what characteristics tell you that's a good one to pick?
                Might be too late for me to try this year, but I'd like to be ready next year.
                Thanks.
                What Slayr said. Go off of color. You’ll know they’re ready by being a nice deep purple/ruby color, they’ll pop off the paddles much easier than ones that aren’t as ripe. I’ll pick them off by hand instead of cutting, that way I can feel them pop off to know they are ready. Some will have a little scab crust looking stuff on the skin but you end up peeling them anyway and usually are just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post

Tongs or leather gloves. My favorite method, a plastic water bottle. Cut the top off, slide open end over fruit, squeeze, and drop fruit in bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                    my wife makes and sells jellies online and at a feed store in rocksprings. she just made 32 cases of 8 oz. jars
                    Can she ship?

Comment

Now that water bottle sounds like a good trick! Thanks.

Comment

We made Prickly Pear and Mesquite Bean this year. Both turned out excellent.

Mesquite Bean Jelly Recipe:
                        4 cups Mesquite Bean broth
                        3 cups sugar
                        3 1/2 TBS no sugar needed pectin
                        1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice

Prickly Pear Jelly:
                        4 cups prickly pear juice
                        3 cups sugar
                        1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
                        3 1/2 TBS no sugar-needed pectin

Comment

Well, I think it tastes pretty incredible. I’d make it again.

Comment

My sister makes a prickly pear pie that is out of this world. Looks like a lemon meringue pie but a deep magenta color with a unique taste similar to strawberry/banana. Absolutely the best pie I ever ate.

She used to go through 150-200 milk crates of pears when she served it in her restaurant. They didn't last long because the customers would buy the whole pies to take home once they tasted them.

Comment

I love prickly pear jelly!

Comment

Ok maybe a stupid question but are you talking about the red bulb on top of the cactus to make the jelly out of? Also how do you know when they are ripe? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X