Let’s discuss netx pineywoods bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stick_Em View Post
    I grew up hunting in Cleveland, took about a 15 year break, and have recently got back into it. I have since moved to Lufkin and hunt primarily in Jasper where my lease is. This year I have 4 shooter bucks, all nocturnal, but one younger buck is making daylight appearances that is on the line of legality for the inside spread. He’ll get a pass from me for sure. Those nocturnal bucks are coming out almost every night and I have hopes for them maybe breaking daylight when the conditions are just right. I don’t have a feeder, hand throw everything and I planted a small plot this year. The deer aren’t letting my plot grow and are keeping it nubbed to the dirt. I took my first bow harvest last year and have that beautiful spike euro mounted on my wall lol. But, as well all know, a spike is a completely different animal from a mature buck. Good luck everybody this year, I know I’m excited for what’s to come. Last year, my local acorn drop was ridiculously generous so corn got ignored mostly, we’ll see what happens this year!

I would think you would be getting pictures of them all together right now.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
      In your experience, would you say a mature buck will stay nearby areas he knows pressure is coming from so could monitor it from a safe distance? Or will he get as far away as possible from any known intrusion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question. I’m in for the answer

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
        Good question. I’m in for the answer
        Well I hate to answer but here goes. I regularly have mature bucks start bedding where they can monster my trail in and out to corn. Seems they often jus accept that the corn man is coming. They pattern me all the time. My e try trail to t the stand is never the same as my corn trail.

Many of my spots are close to people. I often talk loudly and even sing as I corn mid day. No chance in a hunter. Often mature bucks will be on camera within minutes of me corning and singing. Not all spots are the same though.
        Last edited by GarGuy; 08-24-2020, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
          We seem to have good deer numbers in cass county where I am. Although the buck to doe ratio is way out of wack if you ask me. The last mature buck I shot was on dec 24th and I counted 9 does cross an opening on the same trail, with him following right behind them. I don’t see a lot of chasing during the rut and I don’t believe that they really have to go far to find a doe. I’ve had my best luck at patterning bucks while using mock scrapes in early October. I passed a lot of deer last year coming to the scrape. Especially after a good rain
          I'm in cass county what city you hunt near? I got 10 acres at those in atlanta with some decent bucks at night hoping a decent plot will bring one in daylight hours

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txbowhunter08 View Post
            I'm in cass county what city you hunt near? I got 10 acres at those in atlanta with some decent bucks at night hoping a decent plot will bring one in daylight hours

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I live in Atlanta, and hunt the Hughes springs and Marietta areas. And hunt the river around Douglassville.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              A big buck will never be easier to pattern than when he is locked down from pressure. Doesn't mean he is easily killed but he will be more consistent on his pattern than any other time. Get lucky and figure it out along with a way to get there without him knowing and he's a dead deer .

Agree 100%

Comment

Well I hate to answer but here goes. I regularly have mature bucks start bedding where they can monster my trail in and out to corn. Seems they often jus accept that the corn man is coming. They pattern me all the time. My e try trail to t the stand is never the same as my corn trail.

Many of my spots are close to people. I often talk loudly and even sing as I corn mid day. No chance in a hunter. Often mature bucks will be on camera within minutes of me corning and singing. Not all spots are the same though.

That’s awesome. I specifically remember one of the stories from pressured deer are easy to pattern where you talked about a big buck bedding in some wild grape vines where he could see you accessing your stand. He’d be there right before you got in and dang near as soon as he left. Reading that has made me look for screens, spots where deer can watch or listen to people accessing their area without being spotted and taking off the other direction. Escaping without ever being noticed.

Comment

I hunted west /central/south/east.....See the most deer west/central /south.....But Best Mature Bucks EAST...but less deer...Just my observation...And maybe it was lease I was on..

Comment

Sent you a pm garguy

Comment

Hunted east Texas all my life and still on a place out there that i grew up on. Not a lot of deer, but there are deer and since it backs up to our property, access is super easy. Hunting east Texas is tough, but there are many areas that have awesome deer for sure. Lot more places getting better managed and seeing a lot more mature big bucks. We don't always see deer on our place when we sit, which is why i'm also on a place out near san angelo. East Texas will always just hold a special place though.

Comment

Hunted the White Oak Creek WMA years ago, and always thought there had to be some whoppers in all those swamps and bottoms. I never was able to find one though.

Comment

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
                          Hunted the White Oak Creek WMA years ago, and always thought there had to be some whoppers in all those swamps and bottoms. I never was able to find one though.

It’s funny you mention white oak creek. When I was about 8 years old we had a place that bordered it. Me and dad pulled into our lease to see a guy driving a Honda fourwheeler up some loading ramps with a beautiful 6x6 ratchet strapped to the back He claimed he walked through our place to access white oak creek. He wasted no time getting out of there. Needless to say dad wasn’t happy with him

Comment

Been hunting Davy Crockett National Forest my whole life. My Dad and I take a week off in late bow season every year to hunt it. Usually takes 3-4 days of scouting to find deer, but once we get on them the hunting is good. I shot a doe and hog last year, Dad shot a 125ish 8 point. We have more/ better quality deer at our ranch in west TX, but there is just something about the pine forest that will always bring me back. Best buck we harvested out there went 139 from my brother, and my Dad's friend shot a 150

Comment

Originally posted by CityLimtRedneck View Post
                              Been hunting Davy Crockett National Forest my whole life. My Dad and I take a week off in late bow season every year to hunt it. Usually takes 3-4 days of scouting to find deer, but once we get on them the hunting is good. I shot a doe and hog last year, Dad shot a 125ish 8 point. We have more/ better quality deer at our ranch in west TX, but there is just something about the pine forest that will always bring me back. Best buck we harvested out there went 139 from my brother, and my Dad's friend shot a 150

The DC is a fun place to hunt. Heard a ton of bad about it when I first started going there and haven’t had any bad experiences yet.

Comment

On the buck doe deal... My feeders will have 20 to 1 does over buck pics and those bucks are mostly 1 year old.

My hand corn pens will be 90 percent bucks and all ages. Same property.
                                So you have a pen set up and you just throw corn Into it? How big is the pen and how much corn? Sounds interesting, I’ve tried the hand corn a trail but the pugs get to it pretty quick.

Comment

Working...
                                X