Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Lumber Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've decided to part out my house. Going to studs at 32 oc. Probably more rafters used than is really needed. Need more open air rooms.

Comment

Same thing happened to me on my house bid quote.... 11000 lumber increase. Increases on material in some cases were 50% or higher. I’m holding off

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot4900 View Post
        I’m about the most positive thinking, optimistic man you’ll ever meet, but, I’m telling you how it is. I have relative in Mississippi that cut and haul timber and one that works in the mill in Alabama so I know a little about the system from the tree to the local building supply and the consumer is getting tattooed with a rusty needle right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now? You said always.

Comment

Now instead of the copper wire you have to worry about the crackheads coming in at night and stealing your studs!

Comment

My framing package quote went from 40k to 70k in a month...talk about a f*ckin* kick to the groin!

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
              Lets say you build a house today with the high price of lumber(if you can get it) and you try and sell it 2 or 3 years from now after the lumber crisis is over and prices have come back down to normal. Are you gonna lose you shirt because you built at the wrong time.
              Home appraisals are based on comparable sales.

New home prices will be going up as costs increase.

Resale prices should increase as well.

The problem with new home appraisals is that the comps won't be increase as fast as the building cost.

I build new homes.

The issue I'm facing is that a house that sold for $250,000 in the spring will cost me $25,000 more to build today.

I can't sell that same house today for $275,000 unless the buyer has a lot of cash. The house will not appraise for 275k because the comps are for 250k.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                Now instead of the copper wire you have to worry about the crackheads coming in at night and stealing your studs!
                You always have to worry about material being stolen.
                You do make a good point though, once the studs are nailed they are generally safe from theft.
                That has probably changed.

Comment

We threw a pile of money out of the window of the fish camp today😳
                  Attached Files

Comment

Went through this same situation during Harvey. We were in the middle of the build. However, everything went up lumber, framers, Sheetrock and Sheetrock installers. The prices finally adjusted about six months after Harvey and then you could find contractors as well.

Comment

Originally posted by axisbuck24 View Post
                      Went through this same situation during Harvey. We were in the middle of the build. However, everything went up lumber, framers, Sheetrock and Sheetrock installers. The prices finally adjusted about six months after Harvey and then you could find contractors as well.
                      The issue here is that this lumber craze really got started several months back. Probably 6mos at this point. MUCH more a result of COVID. just another way “covid” (codeword for spineless politicians) screwed the American people.

We are seeing $9-10 distributor cost on 2416 southern yellow pine #2. Often times we are getting no quotes from the mills. Wild Wild West. And gonna get worse before it gets better.

Comment

i paid almost $19 for a treated 8' 4x4 yesterday, they used to be less than 10 if i remember right crazy

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                          i paid almost $19 for a treated 8' 4x4 yesterday, they used to be less than 10 if i remember right crazy

Yep, 4x4x8’ treated were $7.95 about three months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooter80 View Post
                            We started building yesterday. We signed a contract with a builder about 3 weeks ago and the lumber package was 40k. We didn’t do cost plus thank goodness. Our lumber package now is between 50-55k. He said it’s part of doing business and will just have to eat it.
                            We did the exact same thing. We are about to break ground on our build and contract was signed 3 weeks ago. The builder is on the hook now...even our bank locked in our interest rate.

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                            That is why we did not go with a cost plus builder. One cost plus builder said that was the fair way for everyone involved. It was a lot more fair(better) for the builder and subs that the home owner from my stand point.
                            Amen to this.....can’t even imagine this being financially advantageous when using an actual builder. Now, if I had the skill sets, talent and time to be my own GC, had relationships with sub contractors capable of doing the work and access to suppliers...then cost plus is the way to go.

Comment

2x4x104-5/8” was $7.57 yesterday at Home Depot. Sub $3 in June. Glad I framed when I did! Just buying odds and ends now.
                              We do have a big building project that we were supposed to sign up in March— decided to wait.

For you guys that think you’re getting away with something by avoiding cost plus contracts— is your builder real skinny because he’s starving?
                              When there’s uncertainty contractors add money to cover contingencies. If they didn’t they’d be out of business. You just pay for the uncertainty in your up front price. Cost plus reduces uncertainty and allows them to bid more competitively on the actual work that they can control.

Comment

I should be framing in a couple months. Talk about bad timing.

Comment

Working...
                                X