Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd rather take a slow bullet....

Comment

I've had 4 or 5 pulled now. I used to grind my teeth real bad and cracked chunks off of them. I really need to get crowns at this point but they want 7k to do it. Sore teeth suck.

Comment

Originally posted by steve morton View Post
        Same deal here.
        Bottom right molar.
        3200 root canal vs 350 extraction.
        It's gone and after polishing off the sharp edges of the next tooth i haven't missed it.
        Wow, my extraction price was $66 Crazy how much different it is from place to place.

Comment

What did they tell you on your last cleaning and X-ray?

Comment

Root canal and crown 2 weeks ago. $900 out the door with insurance.
            Last edited by oktx; 08-10-2020, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Many years ago. I cracked a tooth. Every visit, cost me $800, if I remember correctly. I quickly got the impression, they knew I was in a lot of pain and figured I would pay to get my tooth fixed.
              Went to my usual dentist in New Braunfels, she got me for $800 worth o X-Rays. It took three or four days to get in to see her. She sent me to some other dentist to actually do the work, in San Antonio.

The soonest I could get a appointment with that dentist, was a week later. He charged me $800 on the first visit for the exact same X-Rays, with the exact same machine. Did not matter I had the X-Rays from the first dentist in my hand, when I walked, in, they told me those were done with a old machine and they had a special new machine, would not even look at the X-Rays I showed up with.

Then second visit, to second dentist, again, was a week later. He ground the tooth, drilled the root and left it like that. Again $800.
              Then the third visit to the second dentist, was again, a week later. That time, he installed a temporary cap, again for $800.

Forth visit to second dentist, he installed the permanent cap with temporary cement to make sure it was good, before installing it with permanent cement. That was two weeks after the last visit, again $800.
              Fifth and final visit to the second dentist, he pulled the cap, reinstalled the cap and then used permanent cement. That final visit, was something like a month or six weeks later. Naturally $800.

Never going through that deal again. You know what pain is, dealing with a split tooth. It's up there in the quite severe level. As bad as the pain, is, they would not give me any pain killers, till the second visit to the second dentist. I could not eat with the right side of my mouth, if I bit down on most anything, it might push the two halves of the tooth apart, then the pain skyrockets, instantly. The way I found I had a split tooth. I bit into an apple. The apple split the two halves apart and squirted juice up into the tooth. I about dropped to the floor. It felt about like someone split my tooth in half and jammed a pick up in it, without warning.

I have a buddy, who told me, he got his tooth fixed by some dentist in San Antonio, for something like $250 or $500 total. The guy he went to makes his own caps, so he does not have to pay someone else to make them. I need to remember to get that dentist's name again.

Good luck with your tooth problem, I know from experience, that is some extremely painful stuff. Worse when they make you wait weeks, before they do anything and no pain killers the whole time. Then clean out your bank account in the process.

Comment

I cracked my tooth and didn’t need a root canal but did a crown and it was expensive
                I wish I would have just got it pulled, as stated above I could always get a implant if wanted
                Good luck

Comment

I had a cracked tooth, got a root canal and then a crown put on a few days later. Around $1500 with insurance. I am about to have to do it all over again on my bottom molar under the upper molar I had fixed lol. Took too many hits to the jaw when I was younger

Comment

I had one done right about 1yr ago.
                    had a tooth with a couple fillings that were 20+ yrs old which started bugging me a little bit so needed a crown. after that got prepped and I had the temp crown on there it got real aggrivated. got root canal done before the permanent crown wdnt on and it has been pretty good. I believe the root canal was less money amd probably less discomfort than extraction+implant. now i just hope it holds up for a long while...

Comment

There are some crazy stories in this thread. It amazes me what people go thru at these various places. A CT scan shouldn’t cost 800$ and neither should any other dental X-ray. Sadly in today’s world many of these places are corporate chains that focus primarily on profit. I see it every day. Best advice is to find an independent dentist that you trust. Unforeseen things can happen when dealing with the body but most can be ruled out with due diligence. Fractured(cracked) teeth can be a tough call sometimes. Always good to have someone with your best interest making that diagnosis. I want everything i do to last a lifetime if possible. There’s still a bunch of us honest, conservative guys out there. You just have to look a little harder. You guys are always welcome to PM me with any dental questions. Hopefully i can explain how things work and save you some trouble. Take a pic of your X-ray with your phone. We have to all look out for each other in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                        There are some crazy stories in this thread. It amazes me what people go thru at these various places. A CT scan shouldn’t cost 800$ and neither should any other dental X-ray. Sadly in today’s world many of these places are corporate chains that focus primarily on profit. I see it every day. Best advice is to find an independent dentist that you trust. Unforeseen things can happen when dealing with the body but most can be ruled out with due diligence. Fractured(cracked) teeth can be a tough call sometimes. Always good to have someone with your best interest making that diagnosis. I want everything i do to last a lifetime if possible. There’s still a bunch of us honest, conservative guys out there. You just have to look a little harder. You guys are always welcome to PM me with any dental questions. Hopefully i can explain how things work and save you some trouble. Take a pic of your X-ray with your phone. We have to all look out for each other in this world.
                        Well since you are a dentist in boerne I assume, you know dr bays? He was my Dentest, no longer because because he skipped
                        Putting in a permanent crown, to go fishing in Costa Rica, had his wife do the permanent crown job while he supervised on zoom
                        It didn’t go on right and I had to return after his fishing trip
                        For a more better job , it was a long week waiting as I really couldn’t even try to eat ,
                        Sorry to hi jack this thread op good luck with your new dentist

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                          Well since you are a dentist in boerne I assume, you know dr bays? He was my Dentest, no longer because because he skipped
                          Putting in a permanent crown, to go fishing in Costa Rica, had his wife do the permanent crown job while he supervised on zoom
                          It didn’t go on right and I had to return after his fishing trip
                          For a more better job , it was a long week waiting as I really couldn’t even try to eat ,
                          Sorry to hi jack this thread op good luck with your new dentist
                          I live in Boerne but work in SA and Castroville. I do not know the dentist you are talking about. Things like that give the profession a bad name. Only the dentist is allowed to place something that permanently alters a tooth such as a permanent crown. Sorry so many people have had bad experiences. There really is no excuse for any of it.

Comment

Not pulling the tooth and going with the root canal and crown. I am not going to suffer anymore to find a cheaper place period! Unfortunately, on Medicare and a supplement, it does not cover dental at this time. I basically chew EVERYTHING on my right side and this is where I would loose a tooth. NO THANK YOU!

Say what you will but it is my mouth, my tooth and my money!

Comment

I had the same thing. I had it pulled.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                                Not pulling the tooth and going with the root canal and crown. I am not going to suffer anymore to find a cheaper place period! Unfortunately, on Medicare and a supplement, it does not cover dental at this time. I basically chew EVERYTHING on my right side and this is where I would loose a tooth. NO THANK YOU!

Say what you will but it is my mouth, my tooth and my money!
                                I like your decision. Then again, I like having all my teeth lol. I will say, as bad as my tooth hurt prior to the root canal, and how uncomfortable the root canal was, as soon as the deadening wore off, I was immediately happy I had the root canal. Had zero pain afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                                X