Started cottonseed today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    I'd assume the additional protein is to get the additional mineral supplements pellet protein has that cottonseed doesn't have.....feeding it in a combination..

I hope CS goes back down to some respectable $$ levels this year.... I'd like to at least feed it from Jan to May
    What are you paying now? Are you buying in bulk?

Comment

Originally posted by ACCURACYINC View Post

I believe I’m paying $145 per half-ton, or 14.5 cents per lb.

Comes out to $7.25 per 50 lb.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
        I believe I’m paying $145 per half-ton, or 14.5 cents per lb.

Comes out to $7.25 per 50 lb.
        That's about the going rate in my area as well. Just curious if other areas are paying more. I don't think that's ridiculous, but what do I know?

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
          It does need mineral though. Plain whole seed does not provide the minerals protein pellets do. I’m still a fan of protein plus cottonseed though to have more feeding area letting more deer eat at the same time.
          Originally posted by Smart View Post
          I'd assume the additional protein is to get the additional mineral supplements pellet protein has that cottonseed doesn't have.....feeding it in a combination..

I hope CS goes back down to some respectable $$ levels this year.... I'd like to at least feed it from Jan to May

Absolutely minerals are still key. I wonder how much a deer is actually digesting with it sprinkled in the cottonseed like that vs say mineral blocks and the kind you just pour on the ground and let them eat ?

I’m with Smart on the cottonseed prices. I’ve stopped feeding it now because it’s just too expensive.

Comment

That's about the going rate in my area as well. Just curious if other areas are paying more. I don't think that's ridiculous, but what do I know?

Cheaper than DD haha!! I’m feeding DD using a timed feeder (morning/evenings) in addition to the CS.

The DD is mainly an attractant with a bonus as a good mineral supplement. When I sit and observe / hunt hogs I notice it’s the bigger bucks that get to eat their fill before anyone else. Hoping it helps antler growth some and obviously overall health.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
              Cheaper than DD haha!! I’m feeding DD using a timed feeder (morning/evenings) in addition to the CS.

The DD is mainly an attractant with a bonus as a good mineral supplement. When I sit and observe / hunt hogs I notice it’s the bigger bucks that get to eat their fill before anyone else. Hoping it helps antler growth some and obviously overall health.
              We are in our 3rd year of cottonseed, and I would say we've seen a substantial change the last 2 years. We feed cottonseed February - bow opener, and year round timed Antler Max or L&E. I am not familiar with DD. Is there anywhere I could get more information?

Comment

From everything I have read, don't refill this late in the summer. Should stop feeding as soon as antlers starting to go hard.

Comment

I cant get deer to eat protein/corn mix, rice bran, blocks, etc. All they want is corn, but out place stays green year round (up in capps corner area, close to red river).

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  Absolutely minerals are still key. I wonder how much a deer is actually digesting with it sprinkled in the cottonseed like that vs say mineral blocks and the kind you just pour on the ground and let them eat ?

I’m with Smart on the cottonseed prices. I’ve stopped feeding it now because it’s just too expensive.

Comment

yes ...was paying 169/ ton a couple of years ago and it would get a little more expensive as the supply dwindled into May.....this year it started out at $240-250....so I just turned my timed protein feeders up more. Plus the dang corona and truck problems before I got rid of it and I didn't want to jack with it 5 hours away.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                      I cant get deer to eat protein/corn mix, rice bran, blocks, etc. All they want is corn, but out place stays green year round (up in capps corner area, close to red river).

There have been times when the deer won’t come to mine because it’s just really green and the deer don’t need it. I have fed cottonseed, rice bran, and corn for the last 5 years. Corn and rice bran year round with occasional blocks tossed into the feed pen as well. Stopped cottonseed about two weeks before the rut. When the natural vegetation is getting all the water it needs the deer just prefer it.

If cottonseed ever drops down to $180 or so per ton I will be right back to feeding it again. At $280 it’s just not the best for what I’m doing. I switched to gravity protein feeders now.
                      Last edited by AntlerCollector; 08-10-2020, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Its alot different for me going from a west texas lease to a north texas one. Deer bodies are much larger, fewer and are picky eaters. West Texas deer will eat just about anything to survive.

We use to get cotton seed for 160 a ton, delivered at our old place few years ago.

There have been times when the deer won’t come to mine because it’s just really green and the deer don’t need it. I have fed cottonseed, rice bran, and corn for the last 5 years. Corn and rice bran year round with occasional blocks tossed into the feed pen as well. Stopped cottonseed about two weeks before the rut. When the natural vegetation is getting all the water it needs the deer just prefer it.

If cottonseed ever drops down to $180 or so per ton I will be right back to feeding it again. At $280 it’s just not the best for what I’m doing. I switched to gravity protein feeders now.

Comment

Does chain link fence have holes large enough for deer to get to the cottonseed?

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                            Does chain link fence have holes large enough for deer to get to the cottonseed?

Yes.

I wouldn’t recommend it because it would be hard to build something out of chain link that the deer could push around to eat it all. 2x4 welded wire and a t-post is about the cheapest way to go. I’d personally recommend a little more study wire though.

Comment

Whatever happened to this experiment? Where are the pics?

Comment

How do you store it when you buy it by the ton?

Comment

Working...
                                X